Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 01:55:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you live in a non-raised roof bus for the right price?  (Read 5746 times)
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2009, 01:58:09 PM »

I just found a bus for sale that is fully converted and has everything I'm looking for except that the roof wasn't raised. It has new end caps and is flat sided ready for a cool paint job and is a recent all electric conversion. After reading the last couple of years of posts on this board I'd pretty much made up my mind I needed a raised roof but this bus is in Florida which is closer to me, rust free, seems fairly priced (maybe get it for under $50k) There is a slide show on the website showing the conversion process....

mymcibusconversion.com

I'd be interested in general thoughts on the bus too as well as the height issue. I am 6' 0"

Cheers, Paul.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:15:33 PM »

paul,

I'm 6'1" and my 4104 is original height. I have to duck for the ACs but otherwise have no problems.

I've never really understood all this ceiling raising except for very tall people and even then it doesn't seem to be worth the effort unless it is for full-timing......even then I question the need for it.

It seems to me to compound the top clearance problem around trees and other top crunchers.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »

There is a MCI 8 on ebay.  All the framing has been replaced with stainless steel "square tubing.  Spray foamed insulation on all sides roof and floor and 4 inches thick.  The exterior has been completely replaced with stainless sheets and is mirror polished.  It has been raised.  8V71 stick, fresh.  New tires.  $35,000.  And there is more that makes it attractive and pretty and very unique....VERY....see the pictures.  On demand hot water.

The rub as far as I can tell is that the guy built the thing for his family and he has 6 teenagers plus friends that travel with him.  It has two toilets and two showers and the rear bedroom is a custom folding queen.  You need to see it.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »

I've seen that one John, not the look I'm going for sadly :-)
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts Gus. The bus has basement A/C with one low profile roof unit over the bed so that should eliminate ducking. However, I was emailed off list pointing out that the extra height is for insulation purposes and without it it is not a 4 season bus. That makes sense but aren't all buses used all year long with warm passengers? You can see from the photos and from my phone call with him that he did insulate. Still feeling confused on the issue  Huh
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »

I'm 6'4" so a roof raise was a necessity.  I dont agree that a 4 season bus needs to have a raised roof, tho'. It depends how cold or hot the '4th' season is, and how many btu the heating (or cooling) equipment can provide. Although I improved the insulation in the roof of my bus when it was open, I certainly didnt put as much in as lots of other busnuts put in theirs. I also have several single-pane RV slider windows in the front area of the bus.  I figured if we end up using the bus in the extremes (hot or cold) we'll just have to run the heat or a/c more.

If the rest of the conversion suits your needs, and perhaps needs only 1 more A/C or a supplementary heater to make it comfortable, then I would seriously consider it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

Paul,

We are full timing in our MC7. I am 6'. We have 2 roof airs, original insulation, & windows from MCI, & a standard Suburban propane furnace. It IS doable. Would I rather have more insulation & double pane windows? SURE! But, it still works for us. Our highest electric bill in the summer has been $73.00 & propane runs about $150/month in winter. We keep the coach 77F. I like it hot! I also ducted a little heat in the wet bay to keep everything from freezing. I don't think I would be happy in Florida in the summer or Minnesota in the winter so, depending on your requirements, don't let the roof stop you.

One other thing we like is the classic lines of the 7. It still looks like a bus, not a box.

FWIW,

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »

When panning my bus for full timing, I decided on a 8 inch roof raise.  Of the 8 inch, 2 1/4 inch has been used for the floor, 1 1/2 inch insulation 1/2 inch plywood and 1/4 inch laminate flooring, 3 1/2 inch of the raise have been used in the ceiling for insulation, ductwork and decoration, wire runs. It was about comfort not headroom.
 The extra inches in my sidewalls allows for larger windows and gives the bus a more open feeling. Other than the kitchen area there are no upper cabinates in my bus again it makes the bus feel more spacious.  Which adds to the comfort of the bus. A few days of bad weather can make a bus very claustrophobic.
 Is a roof raise nesecary, is spray foam insulation a must, how about thermopane windows?  A lot depends on how you are going to use the bus. Some weekends and a yearly vacation would require less than several years  of fulltiming.
                               HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 04:46:51 PM »

Paul,

I like the bus. How much insulation does it have? Did the guy convert it himself, or have someone else?
I liked the R&M headlight front end upgrade. That is really neat. The inside looked like it was designed well too. What is the powertrain like? What size engine and transmission, maybe the website says, but I didn't spend that long looking.

We raised our roof because we put two inches of insulation in the floor, and furred the ceiling down and foamed it. We are also taller, so the extra space was a necessity. The extra insulation was great for us since we go into the extremes, occasionally.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »

My wife and I are around the 5' 5" range. I did not raise my roof. I'm not done yet but know it will work for us. I have read about others that have raised there roof 8" and by the time they insulate and run ducting. The net gain was only couple inches. It really depends on what YOUR needs are. If I were 6'1" and needed to duck for A/C unit I might concider raising the roof. I am with Tom on trying to keep the roof curves as close to original as possible.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 04:53:23 PM »

Also, what kind of heat and air does it have? I noticed in some of the pics, that the original air ducts were still there. I would think that he would have roof airs, or basement units, but it would be worth looking into. If he still has the OTR air, that is nice because the engine "cools" the bus, and you don't have to run the generator. Down side is they are very expensive to repair.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »

John,

The OTR air is so much overkill you can use the bus to hang beef if you don't have 50 people in there and are in Phoenix in August.  AND it is a very hungry beast to feed.  The inside track is to mount a auto type ac compressor (2-3 ton), new heat exchanger and plumb into the stock air handler and maybe add a second air unit in the center of the bus for Mama and guests.

The other plus is you get that small bay back where the OTR heat exchanger and fans by Fanzilla used to hangout.

Planning and design phase stuff.

John 

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 05:48:04 PM »

The engine is a 6V-92 with a turbo mated to an Alison HT740

What is the powertrain like? What size engine and transmission, maybe the website says, but I didn't spend that long looking.
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »

Also, what kind of heat and air does it have?

It has a 23000 Btu Air/heat exchanger in lower bay and a 13,000 BTU Rear Roof Low profile Air Conditioner (Duo-therm) in the bedroom.

It has 5000 Watt Inverter(Motor Trend) and 4- 240 Amp Gel Cells (8G4D) which I guess would run the bedroom A/C all night without the generator or shore power.
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 05:58:12 PM »

I like the bus. How much insulation does it have? Did the guy convert it himself, or have someone else?
I liked the R&M headlight front end upgrade. That is really neat. The inside looked like it was designed well too.

He did the conversion himself and removed the factory insulation and replaced with a high R rated insulation. I love the new front end. Regardless of which bus I get it will end up looking like that so it's nice that it's already been done.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »

It looks like a very nicely done coach.  I watched the video, and read the description, but I too did not see what he did for insulation, aside from the original fiberglass.  Keep in mind that if he packed in higher R fiberglass insulation, it will not be much better than the original.  Compressing fiberglass insulation defeats the purpose.  That said, it looks like a great coach to take out for a week or two at a time, but not for full timing based on carpet use throughout, insulation,  and original windows.  It looks like a quality home build.  Paul, what are your plans and where do you plan to spend most of your time in the bus?  That will definatley help us about the roof raise.  I'm 5', so I was used to walking around the bays of my old 4905!  Grin  I do now duck for the center tunnel in my MCI 7 bays.  Wink

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »

How far is it from you?  Maybe you could walk around inside and see if the ceiling attacks you.  If it is too far, possibly someone nearby has a similar coach to try for size. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »

Yep!

I'm 6'2 and have stock height MC9 with roof air and fluorescent lights on center with center aisle and don't hit my head.

not how i would do it but bought it that way

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »

That said, it looks like a great coach to take out for a week or two at a time, but not for full timing based on carpet use throughout, insulation,  and original windows.  It looks like a quality home build.  Paul, what are your plans and where do you plan to spend most of your time in the bus?  That will definatley help us about the roof raise. 

I plan to fulltime in it and don't want the weather to determine where I am in it in extreme weather. I currently live in the DC area and would still visit frequently thoughout the year. I would want to replace the carpet with pergo type flooring. I guess I could replace the windows too if needed. I plan on converting the engine and generator to veggie oil so I guess the heating bill won't be an issue :-)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 12:33:44 AM »

Paul,

I will offer one word of caution and other than that,at least from here,  it looks like a great bus.

The word Pa is short for Pennsylvania.  Pa also means SALT, let me repeat that, SALT.  The lower frame and bays of an MCI are in fact SS.  The SS bays on the New Jersey buses were, in some cases, eaten through like Swiss cheese.  I lived back there for 19 years and visited all my life of 66 years.  Some things never change and Pa is still on that list.  Great people and pretty landscape but in many ways a perpetual disaster.  God forgive me but I immediately go to ALARM BATTLE STATIONS when Pa comes up.  The engine support frame isn't SS, I am told, and it is known to crack badly to the point of dropping the engine and trans.  You NEED to have this bus inspected by a MCI BUS SAVVY inspector FROM Pa. that understands the locations and extent of possible damage from corrosion.  Brake components, entire engine bay and everything else.  I am not telling you to pass on this bus or automatically reject all things Pa but CYA.  A few hundred now for competent help and pro opinions is money well spent.

Pa, by the way, made the AKC list of entire states from which it was recommended that you do not purchase a puppy.  That dubious distinction list has only one name on it and that is....you guessed it, Pennsylvania.  Even William Penn, the founder, didn't stay there for long.  He and his family lived in London....I visited his grave there.  And that was BS....before SALT...that he died so it goes way back.

Good luck on your adventure,

John

—Pla
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 09:08:05 AM »

I just found a bus for sale that is fully converted and has everything I'm looking for except that the roof wasn't raised.

Go walk around in it for an hour straight, while you talk to someone.  Front to back, side to side, take off your shoes and get into the shower, put them on and keep walking.

At the end of the hour, you will know if it's too low.  If you're comfortable, you'll never have a problem.  If you feel like you're too tall, then give it another hour.  If the feeling persists, go find one with a higher ceiling.

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »

Paul,

Where near DC, I am in Woodbridge. 

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »

If you clear everything, then leave the roof alone.  But if you bang your head on something, you'll bang it many times since you'll forget about sometimes.  My transit has 6'10", and since I'm 6'3", I can walk upright under my roof airs.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 12:01:32 PM »

Paul,

As already posted, the original AC and heat was for 40+ passenger comfort and is way overkill for RV use. The bus companies didn't worry much about insulation.

It appears to me that you have adequate AC for most conditions.

A raised roof increases interior volume which requires more heat and AC, and the higher the ceiling the more heat goes to waste.

Same for larger windows, I would have even smaller windows if I had a choice. Small windows is one reason I tried to find a GMC 3751 when I was looking for a bus. Windows are for looking out, they don't need to be large for that. The larger they are the more energy lost through them and the more people can look in. Except for tour buses, the huge windshields and windows on modern buses and RVs are insane.

Since we spend a lot more time in a bus sitting than standing the ceiling raise makes even less sense.

I see no way the ceiling can be raised without weakening the structure, but I'm no structural engineer so that may not be correct.

Do buy a conversion, don't waste all those years doing it yourself. Use that time to enjoy the bus not to mention the bucks saved.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »

Paul...Check this one out..the style you like, basic inside with an 8" roof raise, but at less than 1/2 the price. Don't know the owner or have any interest, I just happened to see the ad...

http://www.busnut.com/classifieds/index.php?a=2&b=303

Cawston, British Columbia
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »

Paul...Check this one out..the style you like, basic inside with an 8" roof raise, but at less than 1/2 the price.

I found this one early in my search and it's in second place right now after the one we are discussing on this thread, I talked to the seller and he is a really nice guy. The main downside is that there is still A LOT of work as it is far from complete. There is no generator or inverter. No A/C and no Heat, no living area furniture and the kitchen needs everything including the kitchen sink.

It is a great conversion so far though and any bus with the R&M Renaissance kit already completed is a big plus as I have my heart set on that front end.

Cheers, Paul.
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »

Lot's of great answers folks, thanks so much. Paul.
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »

Paul,

Where near DC, I am in Woodbridge. 

Frank

I'm in Old Town Alexandria so only 30 minutes away. I'd love to come down one day on a weekend for a tour if and when you are free.

Cheers, Paul.
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »

Paul,

I used to live right over on Rt 1 at Belle Haven towers. My question is: Where are you going to park it? I still travel and stay overnight down there, but storage was a concern for me. When I worked for U-Haul, I seriously considered a truck conversion since I could rebuild it anyway I wanted for cheap. We didn't even have space at our facilities...

I'm not criticizing, just genuinely puzzled. My buddy wanted a MH or van conversion, and for awhile had the same concerns. BTW..I'll be staying overnight down there next weekend while I work in Baltimore. I still love it there, even though I live so far away.

Doug

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »

Hi Doug,

I'm on Washington St, not far at all! I'd love to meet up with you next weekend to take a look :-)

I plan on moving out and hitting the road full time.

Cheers, Paul.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 04:33:48 AM »

Paul,
There is a 1972 MCI 7 for sale which I almost pursued. It has no roof raise, but it is clean and supposedly never seen reenue service, which this time I can believe. Not my taste inside, but incredibly immaculate.
It also has the original windows IIRC.

Being 6'5" with a son taller than I, I went for the RR. One time in the middle of the night to crack my head would sell me.
But do it your way.
Good Luck,
I will post if I recall where posted.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
bebackbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »

We are living in a non raised coach now.  We have been full timing for 6 years.  I am 5' 8" and our first bus  was a gm 4106.  The one we are using is a mci-8.  Most of the time you are sitting or sleeping.  Cooking or shower doesn't  put you against the AC.  The first coach was converted when I got it an I tore it all out an started over.  The newer coach was professionally done an I have moified it alot.  Buy something converted and modify.  I know alot of guys with tons of dough in their coaches that will not get their money out.  The best deal is on someone else's time and work investment.
bebackbus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »

Also as far as insulation Mike Kadlitz's bus is not insulated.  Not a great idea but for 100k  and Mike that's what you get.  One thing I did that helps alot is to use snow koat on the roof.  It's the insulating paint that keeps the sun from penetrating into the coach.  It also works to keep the cold out.   When I did the 4106 I used 1 " dow insulation and then reflextix then i/8" harwood then the headliner.  Close to the same original height.  With the kool koat it is better than the blown in insulation in the mci
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 01:55:30 PM »

Hi Doug,

I'm on Washington St, not far at all! I'd love to meet up with you next weekend to take a look :-)

I plan on moving out and hitting the road full time.

Cheers, Paul.

Paul,
     I don't have a coach. I'm leaving tomarrow AM to work Mon-Tues, but staying in Baltimore Monday night,then back home for 3 days. Then back to Baltimore/DC. My weekend hours are 8:00-1:30ish.  I'm always up for a meal or coffee at the Ranch House though.   Smiley
     I don't know anything about coaches, but I could probably write a manual based on all the expertise I've read here, and actually have it make sense and follow it while looking at one. Talk to you soon.

Peace,

Doug

PS:
Incidentally, this GMC may be worth a look. And it is not too far, at least from Baltimore: http://www.sellabus.com/geckle.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:04:21 PM by PADoug » Logged

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »

phooey.

I'm 6'4"

Stock MC8, all the stock double pane windows in it, stock insulation.

two roof airs have kept it cool, parked broadside in the sun, in 95 degrees KOA field camping.

No roof raise. Learn to duck?

You don't HAVE TO re-insulate or raise the roof, and for weekender use, quite a cost benefit argument can be made against realizing savings.

The bigger determiner is whether the rest of the family share in the idea to tear it all apart and spend all that time and effort rebuilding it, instead of buying a store bought RV....

Be careful, the busnuts who erred in this way are not amongst the posters here! They are "no more"

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 04:52:31 AM »

I could have 'got away with' not raising the roof of my bus, but my philosophy in such things is 'do it once and do it right'

In my opinion life is far too short to convert two buses because you weren't happy with something fundamental about the first one. 'Learning to Duck' is too much of a compromise when you're putting so much time, effort and money into a project such as this - even if raising the roof adds six months onto the project, you will wish you had spent those extra six months when, in ten years time, you are sick to the back teeth of having to duck every time you walk about in the bus.

Just my view. I am 6' tall and was starting with a bare shell. Obviously it is a different story if you are below 6' and are starting with a fully converted bus, or perhaps don't expect to use the bus much or keep it very long.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: