Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 06:58:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you live in a non-raised roof bus for the right price?  (Read 5903 times)
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »

It looks like a very nicely done coach.  I watched the video, and read the description, but I too did not see what he did for insulation, aside from the original fiberglass.  Keep in mind that if he packed in higher R fiberglass insulation, it will not be much better than the original.  Compressing fiberglass insulation defeats the purpose.  That said, it looks like a great coach to take out for a week or two at a time, but not for full timing based on carpet use throughout, insulation,  and original windows.  It looks like a quality home build.  Paul, what are your plans and where do you plan to spend most of your time in the bus?  That will definatley help us about the roof raise.  I'm 5', so I was used to walking around the bays of my old 4905!  Grin  I do now duck for the center tunnel in my MCI 7 bays.  Wink

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »

How far is it from you?  Maybe you could walk around inside and see if the ceiling attacks you.  If it is too far, possibly someone nearby has a similar coach to try for size. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »

Yep!

I'm 6'2 and have stock height MC9 with roof air and fluorescent lights on center with center aisle and don't hit my head.

not how i would do it but bought it that way

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »

That said, it looks like a great coach to take out for a week or two at a time, but not for full timing based on carpet use throughout, insulation,  and original windows.  It looks like a quality home build.  Paul, what are your plans and where do you plan to spend most of your time in the bus?  That will definatley help us about the roof raise. 

I plan to fulltime in it and don't want the weather to determine where I am in it in extreme weather. I currently live in the DC area and would still visit frequently thoughout the year. I would want to replace the carpet with pergo type flooring. I guess I could replace the windows too if needed. I plan on converting the engine and generator to veggie oil so I guess the heating bill won't be an issue :-)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 12:33:44 AM »

Paul,

I will offer one word of caution and other than that,at least from here,  it looks like a great bus.

The word Pa is short for Pennsylvania.  Pa also means SALT, let me repeat that, SALT.  The lower frame and bays of an MCI are in fact SS.  The SS bays on the New Jersey buses were, in some cases, eaten through like Swiss cheese.  I lived back there for 19 years and visited all my life of 66 years.  Some things never change and Pa is still on that list.  Great people and pretty landscape but in many ways a perpetual disaster.  God forgive me but I immediately go to ALARM BATTLE STATIONS when Pa comes up.  The engine support frame isn't SS, I am told, and it is known to crack badly to the point of dropping the engine and trans.  You NEED to have this bus inspected by a MCI BUS SAVVY inspector FROM Pa. that understands the locations and extent of possible damage from corrosion.  Brake components, entire engine bay and everything else.  I am not telling you to pass on this bus or automatically reject all things Pa but CYA.  A few hundred now for competent help and pro opinions is money well spent.

Pa, by the way, made the AKC list of entire states from which it was recommended that you do not purchase a puppy.  That dubious distinction list has only one name on it and that is....you guessed it, Pennsylvania.  Even William Penn, the founder, didn't stay there for long.  He and his family lived in London....I visited his grave there.  And that was BS....before SALT...that he died so it goes way back.

Good luck on your adventure,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 09:08:05 AM »

I just found a bus for sale that is fully converted and has everything I'm looking for except that the roof wasn't raised.

Go walk around in it for an hour straight, while you talk to someone.  Front to back, side to side, take off your shoes and get into the shower, put them on and keep walking.

At the end of the hour, you will know if it's too low.  If you're comfortable, you'll never have a problem.  If you feel like you're too tall, then give it another hour.  If the feeling persists, go find one with a higher ceiling.

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »

Paul,

Where near DC, I am in Woodbridge. 

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »

If you clear everything, then leave the roof alone.  But if you bang your head on something, you'll bang it many times since you'll forget about sometimes.  My transit has 6'10", and since I'm 6'3", I can walk upright under my roof airs.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 12:01:32 PM »

Paul,

As already posted, the original AC and heat was for 40+ passenger comfort and is way overkill for RV use. The bus companies didn't worry much about insulation.

It appears to me that you have adequate AC for most conditions.

A raised roof increases interior volume which requires more heat and AC, and the higher the ceiling the more heat goes to waste.

Same for larger windows, I would have even smaller windows if I had a choice. Small windows is one reason I tried to find a GMC 3751 when I was looking for a bus. Windows are for looking out, they don't need to be large for that. The larger they are the more energy lost through them and the more people can look in. Except for tour buses, the huge windshields and windows on modern buses and RVs are insane.

Since we spend a lot more time in a bus sitting than standing the ceiling raise makes even less sense.

I see no way the ceiling can be raised without weakening the structure, but I'm no structural engineer so that may not be correct.

Do buy a conversion, don't waste all those years doing it yourself. Use that time to enjoy the bus not to mention the bucks saved.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »

Paul...Check this one out..the style you like, basic inside with an 8" roof raise, but at less than 1/2 the price. Don't know the owner or have any interest, I just happened to see the ad...

http://www.busnut.com/classifieds/index.php?a=2&b=303

Cawston, British Columbia
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »

Paul...Check this one out..the style you like, basic inside with an 8" roof raise, but at less than 1/2 the price.

I found this one early in my search and it's in second place right now after the one we are discussing on this thread, I talked to the seller and he is a really nice guy. The main downside is that there is still A LOT of work as it is far from complete. There is no generator or inverter. No A/C and no Heat, no living area furniture and the kitchen needs everything including the kitchen sink.

It is a great conversion so far though and any bus with the R&M Renaissance kit already completed is a big plus as I have my heart set on that front end.

Cheers, Paul.
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »

Lot's of great answers folks, thanks so much. Paul.
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »

Paul,

Where near DC, I am in Woodbridge. 

Frank

I'm in Old Town Alexandria so only 30 minutes away. I'd love to come down one day on a weekend for a tour if and when you are free.

Cheers, Paul.
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »

Paul,

I used to live right over on Rt 1 at Belle Haven towers. My question is: Where are you going to park it? I still travel and stay overnight down there, but storage was a concern for me. When I worked for U-Haul, I seriously considered a truck conversion since I could rebuild it anyway I wanted for cheap. We didn't even have space at our facilities...

I'm not criticizing, just genuinely puzzled. My buddy wanted a MH or van conversion, and for awhile had the same concerns. BTW..I'll be staying overnight down there next weekend while I work in Baltimore. I still love it there, even though I live so far away.

Doug

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »

Hi Doug,

I'm on Washington St, not far at all! I'd love to meet up with you next weekend to take a look :-)

I plan on moving out and hitting the road full time.

Cheers, Paul.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: