Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 18, 2017, 10:41:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear end  (Read 2603 times)
Jriddle

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2009, 07:15:02 PM »

This is a newbee question. I have a 1984 MC-9 does the drive axle drive on on both sides like a positive traction or just on side? If just one side which is it left or right? I have been picking up chains on the way to work and plan to build myself a set of chains now would like to know which side will get me out of a quick pinch. I will build a set for both side for breaking but would like to know how the rear end works, without a lot of screwing around.

John
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 07:31:31 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:29:13 PM »

John, The wheel with least resistance. If not sure jack up rear and turn by hand the other will spin opposite.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »

John -

Let's see if I can answer this riddle for you. . . (Sorry, couldn't resist!   Cheesy  )

Bus differentials are of the type known as an "open" unit, as opposed to what Chevy calls "Positraction".  Here's a decent explanation for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_gear

As for building your own chains, it's probably not worth the effort involved, especially since you can order exact size chainsets online and have them delivered w/in a few days.  That way you know they're going to fit properly.  Remember, you only have to chain the outer dual on a bus, so single chains are fine, and much less expensive than duals.  Here's an example of a good set that you should consider, in this case, cam-type for 12R22.5 tires:

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3367#

Believe me, a broken chain on a bus will tear up the body pretty badly, and doesn't take very long to do so.  Not something you want to scrimp on here - it's actually a safety issue, if you think about it.  Another area where spending a little extra up front to get the right tool will turn out to be an investment, not an expense.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »

RJ

I here what you are saying. I don't plan on ever chaining up my bus but in a pinch will have a set on board. I have made chains before and have the tools to do so. I think when traveling, and one needs to chain it might be time to wait it out. I plan on two singles and your web site let me know what I needed. Thanks

John
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:15:03 PM by Jriddle » Logged

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:09:34 AM »

What about cable chains? Would they tear up the bus as much if they break?

God bless,

John

Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »

If you have a single axle drive, most states will require you to use double wheel chains, or plainly chain up both dual tires on the drive axle.
As to which one drives, the answer is both.  If one wheel looses traction, then that wheel will just spin out.  This is where positraction with the clutch packs comes in.  Also on trucks, you can order the optional traction control.  On tandems you get traction lock that locks up the front and rear diffs, but if say the left front and the rear right wheel looses traction, your going to be stuck.  Traction control is an air operated lock up that makes both right and left sides work in unison without any differential action.  When locked up, you can turn the truck, but on dry pavement, with 8 tires going forward, turning can be almost impossible.  I'm not sure if any bus has driver controlled traction lockup-it would be my choice-since I don't like positraction with its' clutches, can make weird noises when turning.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »

If you have a single axle drive, most states will require you to use double wheel chains, or plainly chain up both dual tires on the drive axle.

Tom -

Might be true of a truck, but CA only requires you to chain the outside dual on a bus - they don't want folk getting hurt trying to access the inner dual, especially on an air suspended coach!

Also, the Crown & Gillig 10-wheel skoolies had the tandem drive interlock, FYI.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 10:04:22 AM »

Tom,
My manual listed a driver operated air differential lock although my bus doesn't have that option. Detroit Locker used to build truck lockers with no clutch packs, they used a ratcheting system that allowed the outside wheel in a turn to turn faster than the inside wheel but made both wheel pull when one lost traction.

If chain clearence is a problem on your bus, you could check on http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProducts/Detail/RudChain/Safety_at_the_press_of_a_button_ROTOGRIP/18634/0
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »

Lee -

As BK mentioned in the chains thread earlier, these retractable chains don't fit on a coach, be it transit or highway.  Plenty of room on the steel-sprung skoolies and on trucks, but not the coaches most of us operate.

And can you imagine the havoc wreaked if one of these links broke loose and wrapped itself around the air bellows and/or air brake lines at speed?  Ouch!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »

John,

To answer your question on traction directly, you must have traction on both sides with or without chains.

If you have traction on only one side, one wheel will spin and the other won't do anything.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »

Gus
I felt bad to ask but thought this was the case, but didn't know for sure.
Thanks for all the input.

John

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 11:22:37 AM »

John,

The purpose of this forum is to answer questions and share experiences. Keep asking.

Most posters are eager to help but, unfortunately, a few will make smart remarks. Ignore those!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 02:53:56 PM »

Gus

I have pretty thick hide the smart remarks don't hurt. I was pleased that I didn't get any on this posting. I usually can figure things out but didn't want to jack bus up if I didn't have too. Its been a little cold here -8  this AM.

Thanks John

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: