Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 02:41:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batteries again!  (Read 6498 times)
VanTare

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 03:39:04 AM »

You fellows charge your batteries at what voltage you like but I will follow the bus manufactures recommendation there is a purpose for it they did not dream it 30 volts may work for a battery charger with the batteries disconnected but no way would I set my regulator for 30 volts for a 24 volt system or above 13.8 for the 12 volt system   

David
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:09:27 AM by VanTare » Logged
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 02:58:14 PM »

From Home Power:

The maximum recommended rate is C/5 (a charge rate in amps of one-fifth the overall battery capacity in amp-hours), but only when the cells are between 10 and 85 percent state of charge (SOC). After the cells reach 85 percent SOC, then a C/10 is the maximum. After cells reach 95 percent SOC, between C/20 and C/15 is recommended. Having said this, I rarely charge faster than a C/10.

The reason for the maximums is heat. Higher amperage means more heat, particularly when the cells are getting fully recharged. Thermal cycling wears the plates and sloughs off material.

Finally, itís always a good idea to get charging specifications from the manufacturer of the particular model of battery youíre running. Battery specific charge rates, and bulk, absorption, float and equalization set-points and times will all lead to better battery longevity.

Richard Perez ē Home Power

I have never seen a respected Battery "expert" that didn't refer you back to the MFR - Why? - because they've already done the math on each of their Batts - Below is a link to the math - HTH

http://xtronics.com/reference/batterap.htm

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
youknowwho

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »

I know this horse has been beat to death but wouldn't this (I have this one now) be the best way or one of the best ways to get the right charge and charge rate? Those all in one inverters are cool but if one of the functions go bad you loose all of it's functions while being repaired. They however do not like a bad power source.
http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=17925

ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 02:57:35 AM »

blacksheep,

i've noticed you still have yet to get the answer to your question if a bad relay can cause batteries to die...yes it can.

one of the relays that goes to my WVO system was stuck open (and i didnt know it), and was draining my batteries.  we were on tour and we had to literally get jump started every morning.  eventually we began to piece things together and one of the other guys who is more mechanically inclined than i am, figured out that the relay was stuck open, and was the cause of the problem.

now all the specifics, the hows and whys i have no idea, all i know is that is what caused it for me.

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: