Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 06:51:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you're searching for a coach, it's amazing what's out there!!  (Read 3596 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »

Was surfing around on CraigsList tonight, and found some interesting coaches.  The particular list I found the items on are in Italics, and I only searched the West Coast!!

CA - Ventura County: In Santa Paula, CA, there's a 4107 that was driven into this guy's storage yard and parked several years ago.  Bus has no starter, but the guy's got it up for sale cheap - and it's already converted.

CA - Inland Empire:  A converted 4104, looks to be at a RV salvage yard.  Very cheap - make a good parts bus.  Heck, you could sell the gearbox alone for the price of the whole bus!  There's also an MC9 from one of CA's better operators (i.e. excellent pm program) available, plus, from somebody else, a 102A3.

CA - Sacramento:  Three coaches listed - one a Scenicruiser!!

CA - Fresno:  An MC-7's available.

CA - Los Angeles:  There's a couple coaches here, too. One, a Flxible Flxliner, altho listed in LA, is actually outside Sacramento, CA.  I've seen this coach personally, and the craftsmanship of the interior is superb. 

CA - San Diego:  Somebody's got an overpriced converted Neoplan Metroliner for sale.  In addition, there's a clean-looking MC-5C and an '81 MC-9, both shells.

OR- Salem:  A 45-foot Eagle. . .

OR - Portland:  Lists a 45' Prevost Marathon w/ interior vandalism wanting a new home.

OR - Eugene:  A very clean-looking MC-5, fully converted.  I think this is the same one that was for sale at Bussin' USA last summer, but not sure. . .

WA - Seattle:  Both a 4905 and a fully converted RTS are listed, as well as a Gillig pusher skoolie. 

WA - Spokane:  Although it's on Spokane's list, there's a 3751 Silversides available in Coeur d'Alene, ID

OK, so what's the point of all this?  Well, the point is, is that if you're in the market for a coach, there really is an awful lot that are out there, and not all are to be found in the "normal" places that folk often search.  Of the twenty or so that are listed above, I've actually seen only one on a regular "bus for sale" website (the Flxible that I've seen in person), all these others were new to me.  Obviously, then, one really has to "do their homework" to find something appealing, then follow up with all the normal procedures when shopping.  And drag BK & his dad along for the inspection, too!

'Nuff for now. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS for TomC:  Check out the Super Bus Peterbilt conversion in Seattle!!

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »

RJ,

Thanks for all that.  I'll look at the MC 5 in Eugene.  PM me with what you saw at Rickreall last year if you will.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »

RJ

Thanks for the post, you saved me a lot of searching! I cannot believe the number of coaches that are for sale. I'm interested in the one in Placerville CA. Know anything about it?

Steve

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:50:37 AM »

Wink

I'm not TOMC but I would like to see it too..Smiley

Can't find it, can you post a link?

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »

John -

The one in Rickreall last summer, Dave Gregory of Southern Oregon Diesel was trying to sell for a widow.  It was parked on the east side of the hall all weekend.  It's in Roseburg, where SOD is also located, that's why I think it's the same coach.  It's actually pretty nice.  You could call Dave and ask. . . 541-672-7400.

Steve -

Sorry, don't know anything about the 4104 in Placerville.  I recently looked at the Fxlible Flxliner close by in Granite Bay, that's one beautiful coach, the photos don't do it justice.  But I can't help you w/ the '04.

Tom & TomC

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/rvs/978857917.html

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:56:03 AM »

RJ

I'm not familiar with a "Fxlible Flxliner". Any idea about the interior stand up height in that coach? Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.

Steve

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »

I'm not familiar with a "Fxlible Flxliner". Any idea about the interior stand up height in that coach? Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.

Steve -

Here's the Flx I've been talking about:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/976536637.html

I'm six feet tall, and had no problems at all in the living area of the bus, as the owner has removed the dropped center aisle in that area.  The only place the headroom was snug was in the bedroom area, but still manageable.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »

Thanks for the link!  TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
chargePlus

1951 GMC PD4103-125

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 08:57:06 PM »

In case you can't search enough on craigslist here is a tool for you:

http://crazedlist.org/

I use Firefox for my web browser and I get plenty of hits... YMMV.

- John

Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »

Was surfing around on CraigsList tonight, and found some interesting coaches.  The particular list I found the items on are in Italics, and I only searched the West Coast!!

CA - Ventura County: In Santa Paula, CA, there's a 4107 that was driven into this guy's storage yard and parked several years ago.  Bus has no starter, but the guy's got it up for sale cheap - and it's already converted.

I drove down and checked this one out.  It's a good parts store but the roof has a 4' x 4' hole cut in it near the back, and the interior is mostly shot from rain coming through (that pic is from a couple of years ago).   This includes the floor, which is rotted through in a number of places.

My guess is that the former owner realized that he had really compromised the structural integrity and decided to just walk away.

I wouldn't consider it a runner, but if you had somewhere to store it, you could part it out.

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »

That's a "Scenic Cruiser" RV, not a GMC
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »

BG6 -

Picky, picky, picky!!   Grin

I was amused by the seller's description of this classic old coach as a "Senior Cruiser". . . Actually quite fitting for this old queen of the highways, if you think about it.

Now, if you want to get technical, this is an RV that was built from the shell of a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, of which 1001 were built exclusively for Greyhound Lines.  Probably has over 3 million miles on the chassis in revenue service alone. . .

John -

I was using crazedlist.  Very cool tool, highly recommended.  But beware, it works best with Firefox - it doesn't work at all with Internet Explorer, so those of you who are using Microslop's browser are out of luck.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 03:58:54 PM »

BG6 -

Picky, picky, picky!!   Grin

I was amused by the seller's description of this classic old coach as a "Senior Cruiser". . . Actually quite fitting for this old queen of the highways, if you think about it.

Now, if you want to get technical, this is an RV that was built from the shell of a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, of which 1001 were built exclusively for Greyhound Lines.  Probably has over 3 million miles on the chassis in revenue service alone. . .

The one I saw was a sticks-n-staples RV.  Now that I've found the one you meant, WOW, beautiful shape.   That 500K miles is probably just the Hubodometer -- which they tended to replace when they put in a new or full rebuilt engine.

I was using crazedlist.  Very cool tool, highly recommended.  But beware, it works best with Firefox - it doesn't work at all with Internet Explorer, so those of you who are using Microslop's browser are out of luck.

I find it hard to believe that anyone smart enough to give up sticks-n-staples for coach conversions would keep a sticks-n-staples browser . . .
chargePlus

1951 GMC PD4103-125

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:10:40 PM »

I find it hard to believe that anyone smart enough to give up sticks-n-staples for coach conversions would keep a sticks-n-staples browser . . .

Which browser would be the sticks and staples? Internet Exploder? Yep, sticks, staples, chewing gum, bailing wire, spit and boogers, and that's just the mentionable pieces they used to make it.

On any given day I use Safari, Firefox, IE (cuz I have to... Sad ), Chrome, and sometimes Opera. I prefer Safari and Firefox, but Chrome is very quick to render pages, though Chrome does have it's own quirks.

- John

Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 05:15:19 PM »

Huh  Links,,, Links,, you got Links,, Grin

CA - Inland Empire:  A converted 4104, looks to be at a RV salvage yard.  Very cheap - make a good parts bus.  Heck, you could sell the gearbox alone for the price of the whole bus!  There's also an MC9 from one of CA's better operators (i.e. excellent pm program) available, plus, from somebody else, a 102A3.

CA - Fresno:  An MC-7's available.

CA - Los Angeles:  There's a couple coaches here, too. One, a Flxible Flxliner, altho listed in LA, is actually outside Sacramento, CA.  I've seen this coach personally, and the craftsmanship of the interior is superb. 

CA - San Diego:  Somebody's got an overpriced converted Neoplan Metroliner for sale.  In addition, there's a clean-looking MC-5C and an '81 MC-9, both shells.

OR- Salem:  A 45-foot Eagle. . .

OR - Portland:  Lists a 45' Prevost Marathon w/ interior vandalism wanting a new home.

OR - Eugene:  A very clean-looking MC-5, fully converted.  I think this is the same one that was for sale at Bussin' USA last summer, but not sure. . .

WA - Seattle:  Both a 4905 and a fully converted RTS are listed, as well as a Gillig pusher skoolie. 

WA - Spokane:  Although it's on Spokane's list, there's a 3751 Silversides available in Coeur d'Alene, ID

OK, so what's the point of all this?  Well, the point is, is that if you're in the market for a coach, there really is an awful lot that are out there, and not all are to be found in the "normal" places that folk often search.  Of the twenty or so that are listed above, I've actually seen only one on a regular "bus for sale" website (the Flxible that I've seen in person), all these others were new to me.  Obviously, then, one really has to "do their homework" to find something appealing, then follow up with all the normal procedures when shopping.  And drag BK & his dad along for the inspection, too!

'Nuff for now. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: