Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 04:40:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions on doing bus work with no helper?  (Read 2976 times)
belfert

« on: June 26, 2006, 09:20:43 AM »

Any suggestions on how I can do stuff like cover windows on my bus without a helper?  I'm getting to the point where almost everything requires help to lift plywood panels and such.

I'm single so I don't have a wife or any kids to help out.  My friend was helping a fair amount, but he got a new job working 12 hour shifts Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I usually am home from work by 4 pm amd ready to work by 5 pm, so I could get more done in the evening if I had a way to do two person jobs myself.

Brian Elfert
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 09:42:06 AM »

Brian,

What area of the country are you in?  You may have some busnuts around who would exchange help for your help. 

Hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 09:44:41 AM »

Brian,
  I usually make a temporary bracket/brace to help hold pieces in place. I also use a lot of clamps (Spring clamps, pipe clamps, quick clamps, vice grips, etc. To install panels I clamp a temporary ledge for the panel to rest on.  These methods are certainly not as fast as having a helper, but it helps get'r done.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 09:46:48 AM »

Brian,

I always hire a few out of school teenagers to do a few chores during the summer.

If you know of any kids in your neighborhood, check with their parents.

Since you really only need a helping hand, they may be perfect for a little better than minimum wage.

FWIW

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:49:53 AM »

I use two way sticky tape to hold stuff until I can properly secure it. the neighbors only help for a few minutes but stay for a really long time. Use the really good stuff and not much of it.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 10:17:51 AM »

Brian,

It's called CLONING.......  Heck, I do it all the time when one of my employees call out!

Good Luck-
Nick

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
belfert

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 01:34:13 PM »

The neighborhood I live in has pretty much all elderly people or young kids.  There is only one collge student who might be interested in helping for pay.

As far as clamping goes, once I get past the first window, I won't have a way to clamp one end.  Any suggestions on that?

Brian Elfert
coachcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 01:37:34 PM »

you can alway contact one of those day labor places such as work force.  depending on where you live it'll cost you 10-12 dollars per hour per person.  If you have no other alternatives you still have that option
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

Brian     
    When you install the first panel, leave out one of the rivets in the end that the next panel atteched to. Insert a bolt through this hole. Measure and drill a matching hole in the end of the next panel to go up. You can then clamp the other end of the second panel and remove the bolt and replace with a rivet.  Not as fast as with a helper, but if no helper is available, it will git'r done.  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 03:09:18 PM »

Brian two things come to mind and one really works in both cases! Ahhh yeah ahhh, oh yeah had to finish my beer, and then I forgoet where I was on this!
Beer! If you buy the beer you usually can get someone to come by and help! (I know it sounds lame but it usually works! Grin Roll Eyes ) LOL!!
The other option see if there's a local rescue mission (homeless shelter), now before you go freak'n out and think'n ain't no way hear me out! I learned this one from working big truck wrecks where we needed extra laborers! Call or better yet stop by the mission and speak to someone in charge, tell them what yer doin' (around supper time is a great time to go then most of the guys are around, and you can meet some of them!) and that you'll feed 1 or 2 of them supper, and pay them for how many hrs. you plan on using them, and either pick them up or meet them at a bus stop, and give them a ride home when done (be sure to empisize to the person in charge you'll drive them staight home when done working! That way they don't go off gettin' in trouble or picked for wondering yer neighborhood) pay them with a check (the mission will cash it for them and take out any $ they are required to pay as part of staying at the mission!) These missions have strict rules about drugs and alcohol and stuff like that and the guy's staying at them are not yer typical street bum or druggie, but guys down on their luck and staing a short time at the mission while they get back on their feet (they have rules to follow, chores to do contributions to make & etc. in order to be allowed to stay at the missions and most don't wanna screw it up and end up out on the street!). Chances are you'll meet a pretty decent guy who'll be glad to make a $, and be willing to help when ever you call and request him too! Now for your own protection of course never let them in yer house alone, if you do buy some beer (until ya get to know him a little) keep it at a 6 pk or so and you go grab both of you one once in a while not let him go grab 'm every 3 mins. (or ya know what I mean), Keep things laid out in an organized fashion (tools, materials, etc.) & explain to him you want him to help with this so you don't have to waste time searching for stuff (but the most important reson is you can tell at a glance if something comes up missing as your cleaning up for the evening!), then when you take them home go staight there and unless it's for cigarettes or a soda take him straight to the mission (this keeps them from wanting to go get drugs or alcohol, or what ever!) and as I said before pay him with a check that way #1 you have record that you paid him! #2 What his name is should there ever be a problem! #3 The missions like it because they usually ask these guys to pay X% of what ever they make to help off set the costs of housing and feeding them! I have had very good sucess hiring spare hands this way, and it's cheaper & usually better help than hiring thru the temp services! (especially for the type of work & hrs. you'll be using them!). We've actually ended making fulltime employees out of them before which is what the mission is attemping to eventually do, to get them out supporting themselves! I know it is a long post but hopefully it will be useful to you or anyone else needing a spare hand some time and I know the missions and the guys from them benefit greatly this way!  Grin Cool BK

Grin Cool Only 4 more days to VOTE when is best for you, an your's for the "TN Fall Bus Bash at Knuckle's! Cool Grin
Smiley Grin Cool  We gonna have a BLAST at the"TN Fall Bus Bash" at Knuckle's  Cool Grin Smiley

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »

Bryce,
That was a very good idea you came up with.
At one time I had to pick up a load ofcanned vegetables that another driver had spilled going around a corner in Louisville.
I tried 5 different temp agencies and couldn't get one person to come out and help.
I ended up going to the Salvation Army and they sent me 'volunteers' to help. I paid each one and the Sally Van came to pick them all up when it was done.
The State of Ky was happy, they didn't have a huge clean up bill to try and collect, The Trucking company was happy, it cost half what the temp agencies wanted, plus was done in about six hours. Insurance was happy, they didn't have to fight about paying the state workers wages. And, I was exstatic! I got home before 5 O'clock in the morning.

Two trite but true phrases come to mind:

"There But For The Grace Of God Go I."

and

"It's Not a Hand Out, It's A Hand Up!"

Thanks for reminding us to help our fellow man.

Dallas
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 03:58:43 PM »

Dallas I hear ya! BTDT!  Grin BK

Grin Cool Only 4 more days to VOTE when is best for you, an your's for the "TN Fall Bus Bash at Knuckle's! Cool Grin
Smiley Grin Cool  We gonna have a BLAST at the"TN Fall Bus Bash" at Knuckle's  Cool Grin Smiley

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 08:53:36 PM »

Jigs and fixtures are how I did it. Example: For installing metal over window openings I used a rented hydraulic scissor lift and I built two "T" brackets. The bottom of each "T" was placed across the front rail of the lift and rested also on the back rail. Where the "T" back rail crossed the back rail I tied the "T" semi-loosly to the back rail. Just tight enough where the "T" could slide though the rope. I then fabricated a 2" wide "hook" and riveted this to the bottom leg of the "T". At the top leg of the "T" I riveted a decent magnet. This fixture allowed me to lower the scissor as close to the ground as possible and then lift one end of a metal panel up and into one of the hooks and then against the magnet at the top. I then lifted the other end onto the the "T" "hook" and then against the magnet at the top. This now allowed me to raise the lift and drive it into position beside the bus and then slide the panel toward the bus and into the rivet position. I did all of this in the July sun and with heat lamps on the back side for thermal growth. I used Sikaflex everywhere the metal touched and simple started inside and drilled and riveted toward the outside. Sounds complicated but we are talking extremely simple and fast. Good luck!

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 05:01:29 AM »

Contact your local church youth director. Quite often they have fundraising going on, and may be willing to help you for donations for their mission trips, outings, etc.

The only thing here is you need to be organized when they get there so they're not standing around. You also need to provide safety equipment (goggles, ear plugs, gloves, etc) that may be needed.

I can't believe there isn't some older gentleman in the neighborhood who's been walking by staring at the bus with envy who you could get to help you out from time to time. The day we raised our roof, one of the neighbors had a birthday party for their toddler. We looked over one time, and all the men folk were standing on the corner of the lawn closest to our house watching us, and pointing. I couldn't hear what they were saying , but it was clear they'd all have rather been over with me than at that birthday party.  Cheesy

Get your neighbors involved in the project. They'll be more likely to accept it, than fight it and make trouble for you (not that they necessarily are now).

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 06:31:42 AM »

I would suggest you try a drywall lift. You can rent one at most any rental store and usually lift at least 12'. You can lift it laying flat (horizontal) or standing up (vertical).
Richard

Any suggestions on how I can do stuff like cover windows on my bus without a helper?  I'm getting to the point where almost everything requires help to lift plywood panels and such.

I'm single so I don't have a wife or any kids to help out.  My friend was helping a fair amount, but he got a new job working 12 hour shifts Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I usually am home from work by 4 pm amd ready to work by 5 pm, so I could get more done in the evening if I had a way to do two person jobs myself.

Brian Elfert

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: