Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 06:13:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions on doing bus work with no helper?  (Read 2907 times)
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 12:15:33 PM »

Hey Greg,

Whatever you did, however you did it, your bus turned out great!  That is one good looking rig...

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 08:10:52 PM »

Hey Greg,

Whatever you did, however you did it, your bus turned out great!  That is one good looking rig...

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy!

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 08:35:04 PM »

These might help

http://www.airpartsinc.com/products/cleco-fasteners.htm

Also a window glass suction cup handle might help for a temporary handle or 2.  You can use a pulley and hang it from the rain gutter to lift and hold.

How 'bout one of these
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=stud+welder

Tack some studs on the inside to to hold it in and flush until you get it glued or riviteded

Or this
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36903  use a piece of steel on the back if your using alum.

Let gravity help by by laying the bus on its side Cheesy Cheesy  or have enough beer so it looks sideways. Shocked  it's getting late and we haven't even started on the finer qualities of ducttape Roll Eyes Grin

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 04:34:32 AM »

Here's a unique idea. . . Marry some crazy butt woman who is insance enough to enjoy working on a bus.   Cool  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 06:44:10 AM »

Bottom line is there are just some jobs that require 4 hands.  A couple of the jobs-I filled in my windows with 3/4" plywood glued two deep screwed to the rim of the opening.  I did that my self.  But when it came to glueing the aluminum exterior sheet to it, there was no way I could do it myself since I was using contact cement.  With 4 hands was able to get it positioned right the first time.  If I had been just riveting it in place, I probably could have done it myself.  The other 4 hand jobs were plywooding the interior and glueing the kemlite to the ceiling of the bathroom.  Also, had help with installing the generator and its' close to 600lb worth.  Other than these jobs, I was able to do everything else myself.
The jobs that I contracted out were the actual spraying of the foam insulation (nasty job that I wouldn't ever consider doing), laying the carpet (best for a professional), the body work and painting of the exterior (too big-a-eat), and overhauling the engine.  It took me 6 years working when I was off from the road.  Would run 9 months and take the 3 winter months off-that's when I worked on the bus.
By the way, if you do have someone that is helping you, I have found that two people working together can get three times the work done.  Sounds odd, but that's what I found.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: