Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:39:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer help please  (Read 3526 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:01:13 AM »

My old xp machine is getting slow and cranky just like me.  I suddenly find on my desktop a program called RegCure.  I don't remember downloading it and don't know how it got there, but it looks legit and may solve some of my problems.

I am scared to death of anything that messes with the registry, having lost one machine to Norton a couple of years ago.

Anyone know about RegCure?

Thanks,
Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:21:12 AM »

I hadn't heard of it but just Googled it and found there is all sorts of information out there - some happy customers and some horror stories. Have a look yourself and make your own mind up - but from my own quick look it appears you have to send them money before the program will actually do anything useful anyway

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:30:10 AM »

Not good news from this site:
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/regcure-c4155.html

Take a look at your Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and Temp files and delete the junk.
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 06:43:23 AM »

Thanks guys, that answers it.

Hand Made Gifts

skipn

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:53:23 AM »

Len,

You might consider defragging your disk.......If it hasn't been done for a while
 prepare yourself for a long wait.

FWIW

Skip
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:57:57 AM »

Just stay away from anything "Symantec" ( Norton ) and you will be fine doing a little manual cleaning. Norton used to be the best. Now they foul the NEST....

I never understood how any company can claim to clean the registry especially if they don't have any clue as to what is installed. There are usually lots of leftover junk items but the most evil are the loads of leftover temp files.

Resident programs that have been installed that load up when you start the machine that you don't ever use also can be a problem.

The best thing is to have little or nothing in the "startup" folder and unload anything that hides in the icon trays or toolbars especially if you don't use them.

Instant messengers that get installed by default use up resources. If you never took them out they will sit there taking up usable memory...

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 07:05:26 AM »

I would also recommend going out to download.com and getting "Spybot - Search and Destroy".  It cleans out and prevents adware/spyware/malware.  I have seen it provide significant performance improvements to sluggish systems.  I use it on every computer I have at home and it is the first thing I do to any system I am asked to look at for performance issues.  You would be amazed at the many hundreds of things it cleans off computers, even when they have been running good security programs.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »

Lin...are you saying...it fix?

My favor virus protection is free and going on 4 years.
AVG_Free

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »

Lin...are you saying...it fix?

AVG_Free

FWIW

No, I'm just saying I won't use RegCure.  I do use AVG Free and I will try Spybot and and the rest of the suggestions here.  I do defrag regularly but haven't cleaned up the startup folder in a long time.

One of my problems may be that because of my business, I keep about a hundred of fonts loaded all the time.  I would love to find a good (inexpensive) font manager that would allow me to view uninstalled fonts and the quickly install or uninstall them as needed.  It would be even better if it could be done from inside my graphics program (Adobe Illustrator).  There are some out there that might work but they a quite expensive.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Hand Made Gifts

WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 09:03:30 AM »

I'll second KT's endorsement of Spybot.  I have found it to be "safe & effective".

There is also a second free product called HijackThis.  It is a utility that reports what is actively running on your system. It doesn't fix things for you, but is a great diagnostic to find hidden stuff loaded without your knowledge.  Google it and you will find lots of on-line help desks using it.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »

AVG_Free

FWIW

The jury is still out on AVG for me.  I downloaded it last week and installed on my XP machine. I started a scan on the drive. When I returned, the system had crashed. It took 15 minutes for it to boot and was running like slug slime on a cold day.

I disabled AVG till I can get more time to play with it.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 09:34:37 AM »

I 2nd (or 3rd) all of the advise given so far.  I too use AVG Free and Spybot S&D.  Great tools.  I have seen issues on a friends computer with the paid full version of AVG (it adds a lot of features just like McAfee and Symantec and that is where the trouble begins I think).  So far, AVG and Spybot S&D have saved my bacon a few times.

I also use Registry Repair Wizard from http://www.registryrepair.net/

It isn't free, but it's only $30, works well and has been trustworthy on my computers now for over 2 years.  It also has a rather unique license.  You buy one $30 license and you can use it on as many computers as you personally operate.  It looks like they have changed that on new purchases.  When I got mine over 2 years ago, that was true and so mine is still licensed that way.  But looking at their purchase page, that isn't the license issued on new purchases now.

To answer Dave's point on how it can know what to clean - There are two aspects.  1st) Common problems (for this reason it should be updated periodically just like anti virus/spy programs).  2nd) missing files and broken registry cross references.  The Windows XP registry is a huge database with many thousands of cross dependent references.  Many programs when added or removed leave behind "garbage".  This does two things, it makes the registry bigger and it leads to broken references.  Those can slow the boot and shut down process and bog it down during program starts.

One area where a lot of registry cleaners go wrong is being overly aggressive in an effort to report HUGE numbers of fixes.  In doing so they can delete some information that only looks like broken file/path references but are actually used by programs.  Deleting those entries are where the horror stories come from.  This program allows advanced users to fix problems in those entries, but warns you extensively when you enable that feature.  The normal scan will usually fix several hundred problems when you run it the first time, then fix a few dozen each time when you run it monthly.  If you enable the "File/Path Reference" option, you will see thousands of items.  But unless you are a registry expert, leave them alone.

Another feature this program has is easy management of start programs, including ones started from the registry (a lot of background programs don't use the startup group anymore, they launch from the registry).  You can review all start programs and elect to disable them if you wish.  Likewise you can re-enable them easily if you need to.

Similarly it also helps you manage Browser Helper Objects (BHO's) which are  plugins that can be very useful or bog your browser down to a crawl.

It also helps you do safe registry backups/restores and defrag the registry.  Defraging the registry is not the same as defraging the hard drive.  It is more like optimizing a database.

Simply put, I am impressed with the product.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 09:40:10 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
skipn

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 09:50:10 AM »

Len,

I'm not sure what you are trying to diagnose........
 I have 214 different fonts on my machines and most of the time I would never have noticed.
 I have my choice of GIMP2 or Ill  ustrator, Premiere or couple of others on the machines I work with.

I usually use GIMP 2 fast and does most of what I need. I will not deny the power of the adobe products
 just the speed in which they work(load).

You might try some of the other brands of software out there.

JMHO

Skip
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 09:57:38 AM »

100 fonts should[n't] be a problem.  I have 494 fonts currently installed on mine.  (Windows XP sp3).  I like Gimp too, and have come to rather dislike Adobe as a company, but I still use Adobe graphics and web tools because of the features.

note:  oops, meant to say 100 fonts shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:35:17 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »

.... clip .... I suddenly find on my desktop a program called RegCure.  I don't remember downloading it and don't know how it got there, but it looks legit and may solve some of my problems.
 .... clip ....
Thanks,
Len

Len,

Don't for a second think that anything that 'pops up', is in any way going to be good for you or your computer.

It almost scares me that you feel it's legit.

You have a Trojan or Malware that has installed itself.

If the above advice and the resulting scans do not make the RegCure disappear, visit this site...

http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?s=a96c309366cc8e7e3fb3839abe380af0&showforum=9

Please read the "Before Posting" post, and follow it's directions carefully before posting your scan results.
Within two days the volunteers at Atribune will have your computer clean of any nasties, and humming along happily once more.

They will also help you prevent it from occurring again.

HTH

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Songman

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »

NOD32 is the best anti-virus going. It takes up very little memory, very fast, and catches things that the others won't even look at. Not free, but worth it.
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 11:31:21 AM »

I'd like to throw in a word of caution about running multiple Anti-Virus/spyware/registery cleaners at the same time.   Many of these programs do not play well with others.  It is not uncommon for folks to load multiple programs on their PCs thinking that, if a little is good, more must be better. Then they start running into issues.  The programs wrestle for control over locking and unlocking critical files, and bump heads regularly.   Careful what you mix.

TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »

^^ True dat!

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »

Len,

Don't for a second think that anything that 'pops up', is in any way going to be good for you or your computer.

It almost scares me that you feel it's legit.

You have a Trojan or Malware that has installed itself.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

Jay,  There would not have been a question if it were not for my occasional memory lapses.  I thought there might be a possibility that I downloaded it myself based on someones recommendation.

I went to their website and it appeared legit though I questioned it's effectiveness.  I had no problem uninstalling it.
Thanks for the help,

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Songman

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 01:28:06 PM »

I'd like to throw in a word of caution about running multiple Anti-Virus/spyware/registery cleaners at the same time.   Many of these programs do not play well with others.  It is not uncommon for folks to load multiple programs on their PCs thinking that, if a little is good, more must be better. Then they start running into issues.  The programs wrestle for control over locking and unlocking critical files, and bump heads regularly.   Careful what you mix.

Absolutely true! Not to mention the fact that all of these competing programs are also eating up needed memory and slowing the computer down. Pick one good program of each and stick with it.... Just make sure none of them are Norton!
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »

i use the premium AVG small biz version.  all of the paid versions have a link scanner.  it's also built into ie7.  it scans everything that has a hyperlink or that you type in on the address bar to make sure it's not reported as a problem.  all of that checking takes time, so you wait.  just disable the link check.

another good, free spyware is microsoft windows defender.  works well, low maintenance, not intrusive (ala norton).

and as someone said, don't run 2 anti-virus or spyware scanners at the same time.  it's ok to have spybot, AVG and windows Defender.  pick one, leave it run, but occasionally turn it off and scan with one of the others.  One scanner is good, 2 is better, but not at the same time.

The paid version of AVG should be purchased if you have a business or use the computer for business.  That's AVG's legal license even on the free stuff.  but like anything else, if you like it support it.  it's relatively cheap.

Microsoft now also has an anti-virus, anti-problem, anti-spyware software that should be good since they know most of the issues.  it's also at a bargain price .  i think it's called onecare.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 05:34:27 AM »

You can open an account with logmein, (an email & password for that application only), install the software(free version), & then forward the email, password, & access code to one who know how to con fig
 PC & he can log on to your PC & assist you while you watch(with vocal explanation or chat window) & learn/remember.  After the session you disable the software & you're on you own. If you need assist later you re-active the software & call the assist friend/tech & give it a shot again.
  It's lot cheaper then having one to drive to your place to solve problems when it can be done remotely.
    I am doing it with 6 PC, & it work wonderfull because I don't have to sit there & watch the upgrade process on the screen, I can do something else & monitor the process once in a while.
  Here a video (in french) but give an idea.(will make one in broken English when time permit).
http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/metricwrench/HELPER/?action=view&current=installationdelogmein.flv

wrench
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »

I just spent a bit of time poking around various websites looking at reviews of Internet Security software. One thing that kind of caught me by surprise were the discussions of the new Norton Internet Security 2009 product.

Let me state up front that I am not a big fan of the Symantec suites, and based on my past experiences with them, if anybody wants to take a shot at them, I'd be the first to hand you the shotgun.

HOWEVER, the 2009 product does sound like it is significantly different, and much improved.

I am always sceptical of website software reviews from unknown sources because you never know who was paid to produce the glowing review.  I choose to go to industry magazines and known independent organizations.

PC Magazine gave it and editor's choice, stating: "This is definitely the slimmest, most unobtrusive Norton ever. Its protection is top-notch where it counts, though antispam and parental controls are still weak. As the best all-around security suite yet (I'll be installing it myself), it's our new Editors' Choice."

CNet also gave it high marks and said: "Norton Internet Security 2009 hits all the right security notes and its superior protection technologies might even win back some jaded anti-Symantec folks..."

Lastly, I read through a whole bunch of user comments submitted to PC Mag and CNet.  There were quite a few Symantec haters that had some nice things to say about NIS2009.

Again, I have no deep love for the Norton products, nor a personal interest in defending them. Just trying to pass along so recent info.

For any busnuts who might happen to be running Norton 2008, I believe they have a free upgrade to 2009 that is valid for the duration of your 2008 subscription.  Basically, if you have 5 months left on your 2008 subscription, you can upgrade and run 2009 for your last five months. Sounds like it would be worth checking out.

Wayne

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »

Hi Guy's,

Just a note about SpyBot. There are many impersonators of SpyBot now. Make sure you are only downloading it from SAFER NETWORKS..

I use Spybot on all my comps and have reccomened it to many but, some have downloaded it from bad places and got in trouble.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
gus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »

I agree with Jay, I would never open anything that pops up on my computer. There are enough problems with programs I actually download!!

Unfortunately, some of the free "anti" programs actually load malware you are trying to eliminate!!

I also agree with all the neg stuff about Norton. It used to me my favorite but it is now overpriced and a space hog. I have deleted everything Norton on my computer. Most of my programs are free and work much better than Norton.

My browser, Firefox actually does a better job of eliminating most malware than the independent programs.

I also use SpyBot and Ad-Aware to clean things up a bit. They aren't outstanding but they are free and do a good job.

The best place to get free programs is through a PC magazine website, that is usually assurance that the programs are legit.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: