Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 20, 2018, 02:34:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Filter  (Read 5028 times)
platinum mci

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »

Ok On the MCI 9 with the 6v92ta  there is a full filter that looks like a fuel water seperator with a clear plastic bowl on top and a fuel filter element in the unit it is made by detroit diesel but I can read the part numbers and the books does not talk about this filter does anybody know the part number to this filter and how much fuel should be in the filter assembly?
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »

Sounds like our Davco 352 filter.  As the fuel filters gets plugged the fuel level rides higher in the clear plastic bowl.  If you look close, you will see a line near the top of the fuel fliter element that says "replace filter when fuel level reaches this line".  To replace the element, open the drain on the cast aluminum base and drain the fuel to a level below the plastic bowl. Unscrew the plastic clamp ring, remove the clear bowl and fiter. Install new filter, replace clear bowl and clamp ring.  Unscrew the plug in to top of the clear bowl, and pour drained fuel back in. Replace plug and filter change is done.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »

I noticed that when running on high idile that the fuel level goes below the bowl thought I might have a restiction in the filter any Ideas?
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:21:12 PM »

Hello   
    Detroit calls it a Fuel Pro  382 .  One filter number is 23529168. If you go to any dealer and ask for a fuel filter and describe the unit you will get what you need.   The unit is a Davco unit but I am not sure who actually is making any particular unit. I suspect Davco makes all of them.
    On the brochure from Detroit diesel they give credit to Davco  for a line that reads  Seeing is Believing which shows some pictures depicting the various fuel levels in the bowl..
    Just installed one in the bus   very nice and very easy to change the filter..
        Regards and Happy Bussin
          Mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
letz4wheel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:09:20 PM »

I noticed that when running on high idile that the fuel level goes below the bowl thought I might have a restiction in the filter any Ideas?

Generally as the filter plugs up the level in the bowl rises. If you have a brand new filter the level is probably normal. Everytime I change mine it is hard to see the fuel in the bowl for several days.
If anybody has one of these filters the best way to change the filter is to buy the wrench. I have seen a lot of the rings chewed up by the hammer and screwdriver method. They are availiable at any T/A truckstop and probably most filter dealers.

Doug

'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:22 AM »

You WANT it to look like that.

The lower the level, the less crud in your filter (and your FUEL).  As the lower part of the filter stops crud, the level in the bowl will go up.  Your engine doesn't use all that much fuel (especially at idle) -- the reason the filter is so big is just to save you having to replace it too often.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:03:52 AM »

As others have noted, if your filter cartridge is new, this might be normal.  HOWEVER,

You will also see this symptom if the gasket supplied with the filter cartridge has been omitted or damaged and/or the spring at the top of the bowl, which holds the cartridge down against the gasket, is missing or damaged.  In this case, the fuel will actually be bypassing the filter element by flowing underneath the cartridge, and you will be passing unfiltered fuel through your injectors.

I recommend you purchase a replacement element immediately, which will come with a fresh gasket.  Drain any water from the separator and discard.  Then drain the fuel from the system through the same valve until the level is well below the bowl.  You may return this fuel to the tank, or keep it for priming the filter later.

Remove the bowl using the wrench discussed above.  After removing the cartridge, inspect the base gasket.  It is a conical affair that tapers from just smaller to just larger than the inside diameter of the filter cartridge.  Discard this, as you will want to use the fresh one anyway, but you might be able to tell if the fuel has been bypassing it (look for debris, nicks, gouges, etc.).  Also remove the spring from the bowl and inspect for damage.  If you find any, you will need to obtain a replacement spring from Davco; I suggest you not use the unit until the spring is replaced.  Don't worry -- a standard secondary spin-on filter can be fitted in place of the bowl as an emergency measure.

If all looks good, insert the new gasket and cartridge, replace the spring, and re-assemble.  Remove the small top cap from the bowl and fill it with fuel -- the stuff you removed is fine, as you are fueling upstream of the filter element.  Start your engine, and the fuel level should drop back down to the bottom of the bowl in short order.  Now you're back where you started, but at least you will have some confidence that the fuel is not bypassing the element.  Cartridges are available from Napa (made by Wix) for ~$15 -- cheap insurance. Detroit, Cummins (Fleetguard), Baldwin, Wix, and numerous others (including, of course, Davco) also sell the cartridges.  Here are some cross-reference numbers:

Baldwin PF7680
Davco 380087
Detroit 23521528 (rated 12-16 micron @98%)
Fleetguard FS1029W   (10 micron)
NAPA 3651XE (high eff.), 3651 (std, 10 micron)

If there is any damage to the spring or bowl, you will need to use a spin-on.  The only downside is that, since the spin-on will be inverted, there is no way to "prime" it by filling with fresh fuel, and you will thus need to prime the engine with more traditional means.  To use the spin-on, your Fuel Pro will need to be equipped with a 13/16-12 stud, Davco part number 320620; if it is a Detroit-branded housing, as you indicated, it should already be so equipped.  Here are some cross-references for the spin-ons:

Baldwin BF5810
CARQUEST 86120
NAPA GOLD   3120
WIX 33120
FLEETGUARD FF5206

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: