Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:21:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have been receiving the Busconversions mag for years. Whats going on?  (Read 3708 times)
duk231

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:32:53 PM »

In the last several months lots of changes have been going on. Not sure if I like it though. I miss the adverisments of all the buses and then the pictures listed here but thats gone. The business has gone to hell in a hand bag.  Huh When my script is over whats the point of upping my script.

Where can I go to get the same type of information that this beautiful magazine used to provide? Independent bus sales and pictures.

Just curious folks.  Am I the only one???

Mike
larryc

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »

No. You're not the only one. I was the first editor of BCM and I also advertise in the magazine (at least I  think I do). I have not received a copy since July 2008 despite several phone calls (which seem to be answered only by a machine).

This forum should probably go independent so that more of the information you are looking for can be posted.

Information on buses past can be obtained from my websites but it's more for the bus information collector than for the bus converter.

LarryC

Bus Maintenance, Parts and Operators Manuals
Coach Information Network  www.coachinfo.com

Videos and Photos from the dean of
bus photographers, Bob Redden
Redden Archives   www.reddenarchives.com
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »

Mike, I don't subscribe to the magazine any longer after 16 years I started when Larry was editor,but replace it with another I can not tell where to find a replacement.      good luck
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »

Out of interest, are there any other magazines in the US dealing with old buses? There are several in the UK (see below), and if BCM is going down the tubes maybe another bus title could start covering conversion topics if there is a market

I don't know exactly when the 'golden years' of BCM were because I've not been involved in the hobby very long; I did subscribe to BCM in 2007 and thought it was very poor then

Jeremy

This last title in one dealing with modern buses obviously, but I've included it here because that bus on the front cover is a Plaxton like mine (well, not like mine, but you know what I mean)

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »

I have subscribed off and on for 15 years and have alot of old issues that I get out when I feel the need instead of getting the new one any longer. Perhaps Mike should keep the "Old Issues available" list in this forum for us to buy as a better alternative than the current magazine.

I also think Mike should advertise his used busses more on here than he does, he is the man that keeps this forum up for all of us and any of us should be willing to look at his yard first when we or others are looking for a bus. I think he could post all of his "For Sale" units with several pictures and some indepth information about each coach.

The last bus I remember Mike putting indepth info up about was an older Eagle that he gave away FREE some years ago to anyone who would come and get it that needed a clutch. He needs to keep us all in the loop of what he is doing, this is his site and I believe all of us could help him sell some busses if he gave us a chance.

There should be an updated picture of Mikes yard on this site everyday, front page. Don't see why he can't do an indepth center fold each month on a for sale coach on the lot each month either. Many of us can learn something from the coaches Mike has For Sale if they are presented properly. If a rig needs work, make it into a story, show us what he's doing.

Just because I drive an Eagle does not mean I wouldn't like to know about other makes.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Songman

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:02:18 PM »

I'll say this nice and clear right now... Any old Eagles that need work that Mike needs out of his yard, all he has to do is call me. I am only a couple of hours away and will get them out of his way! haha
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 07:34:05 PM »

Sorry to hear this guys. I just bought some back issues & subscribed to the mag. Hope I don't come up disappointed. Just getting started in this conversion world & am looking forward to all the info I can find.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 07:58:44 PM »

John,

No, your OK. Since you bought back issues, the accumilated learning will be fine. The new mag isn't that bad either. I treasure all my back issues, they are almost like a new one when you haven't seen them for awile.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »

My father has collected every single issue including the the very first one. The old ones are so very cool. They seemed to spend more time on the stuff that the average builder on a budjet needs. I like the old ones a lot and possibly they could be brought back as retro BCM articles. I thought about writing stories about my old beater. Sharing what I like and what I don't like about my conversion and the changes I have made and what I have learned. I think there are several out there who are in similar situations.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:03:58 AM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 03:16:11 AM »

Each editor has their opinion on what the magazine should look like. I have almost all of the issues and some are very good and some I don't care for, but I like reading it anyway. It's about buses for goodness sakes! Wink

I for one think Chad is doing a pretty good job.

I have received every issue for the past three or four years, some came a little later than normal but I live in Abilene TX. Grin

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you want to see some changes email Chad or send him a PM, he has always responded. He is always looking for fresh ideas and faces.

My two cents,

Paul
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:15:22 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 05:07:43 AM »

i've been getting mine regularly.  we skipped a month when we didn't realize the subscription lapsed.  i also changed mine to email only so that we can get it quicker on the road.

are they currently a little thinner than they maybe once were? abosolutly, and i eat less when money is tight (although i don't seem to get much thinner).  same rules apply.

Chad caught me right up to date and they have been on schedule so far.

Dreamscape is correct.  if you don't like the articles, suggest a topic to chad.  if everyone had been using the advertisers, they'd still be advertising and the mag would be thicker.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
cody

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 05:49:18 AM »

I just recieved my december issue a short time ago, but i also reupped on my subscription, I find the money spent on it to be minor compared to the enjoyment and knowledge I gain.  I spend a lot of time on this site and enjoy not only the forum but the chat room and I would send the money even if it was a donation, like libby told me, I'd buy chad and the crew a cup of coffee and pie if I ever ran into them anyway so the money is minor, I don't care if it costs anything to keep the online site going or not, it's still pennies a day for the enjoyment i get out of it.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 06:38:18 AM »

I've been subscribing for under two years, and have received the printed version pretty consistently.  I do like the new, thinner version (something my wife has wanted to be able to say about me for years).

I don't really see a reduction in content, but a "tightening up".  More text, less white space on the article pages.  The real element I've noticed is fewer misspellings, obvious typos, grammatical errors - looks like Chad is doing a great job.  Not everyone is a writer, that's the reason that "editor" is a job.   

Advertisers have to tighten up.  I advertise in a transit industry newspaper, once/month for six months each year.  This year, my ad's been running for 3 months, with no response.  Next year, I may use a different mechanism. 

Why did I subscribe?  --- Same reason mentioned earlier.  I get great value from this BB, and feel it my responsibility to contribute to its support.  (I know, people may take exception and pick nits, but without Mike's efforts to establish and maintain this board, would it be here?)

I would have been just as willing to make a donation, just as I donate to other entities from which I derive value.  The folks at the local woodworking store are always there to help, they've answered many, many questions, etc.  My thank you was a couple of restaurant gift cards, delivered anonymously.   

It's the same philosophy I use in purchases.  If I want the local mom and pop specialty store to be there when I need a left handed metric widget with satin bronze finish, I don't by my right handed steel US threaded widgets from Home Depot or online.

I'm not qualified to write articles, I have enough trouble just getting over to the 4107's storage area to get her out for a battery-charging run.  In conversions, I'm a learner, not a teacher.  BCM is not an advertising medium for me, unless there are a whole lot of you that want to design transit systems or learn bus and driver scheduling. 

Arthur
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:00:02 AM by Runcutter » Logged

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 06:57:52 AM »

On, this board it is hard to state your opinion about the magazine without starting a war but here is mine anyway I felt the magazine lost it's way when the articles turned to a shrink naked in a nudist camp and writing about it in a bus conversion magazine,plus after reading the same articles over and over I decided it was time to give it up.     good luck
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:02:33 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 07:08:39 AM »

On, this board it is hard to state your opinion about the magazine without starting a war but here is mine anyway I felt the magazine lost it's way when the articles turned to a shrink naked in a nudist camp and writing about it in a bus conversion magazine,plus after reading the same articles over and over I decided it was time to give it up.     good luck

I will admit that was not tasteful! Doesn't belong in a bus magazine at all! Sheesh! I really just bypassed most everything that she wrote!

My wife was not impressed either! Wink She found it amusing at times!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: