Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 08:11:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back on the road again  (Read 954 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »

We spent a WonDerFul nite in Lakeland, FL, courtesy of Central Florida Bus Repair.  We got there late, bout noon, and they couldn't get it done by 5.  first time i've slept above a pit in a garage.

We had our axles and each wheel load weighed some time ago and found we were 5000lbs light on the bogie, and heavy on the drive axle, so i decided after the bus rally to get them indexed.
i thought about doing them myself, but now i'm glad i left it. 

Mr. Silver brought out Andy and Joe.  Andy guided me in to within an inch of the wall, then both went to work tryin to get the axle loose to get the indexing done.  Bottom line, took about 10 hours of at least one, sometimes 2 pulling on a wrench. 
when they got done, i paid the bill with the last check in the book.  another Eagle owner was there and he (Jack) said looked low.  sure enough, it was. about 1 1/2 inch in front.
Andy and Joe went to work and had both torsolactics adjusted by 4:30, paid again and gone by 5pm. 
Now the ride is fully level, within specs, not yet weighed again, but i'm sure it's OK.  drove about 80 miles so far, most at about 70mph.  Looks great, rides great, drives great.

i was convinced at the bus rally after talking to others that leaving the weight heavy on the drive axle might ruin the torsalactics.  Others told me about places to get them done (thanks Ace).

Almost forgot, Ricky tightened up and silenced the road noise on the front door.

this is NOT a paid commercial.  Just an endorsment of good work on time at reasonable cost.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:30:34 AM »

Tom if it took those two big guys I saw to pull on the wrenches then it would have taken at least 4 normal sized guys.  Thanks again for hauling our chairs up there.  We have an appointment to get the Jakes set/fixed/whatever next Thursday AM.  I hope that doesn't turn into a night sleeping over the pit.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:17:00 AM »

Well I just have to chime in here. The Silvers helped me out of a VERY bad spot several years ago - I was 2000 miles from home in a 1963 01 Eagle when a driver brake drum exploded and took out several vital parts including brakes, a wheel, hole in transmission pan and so on. I contacted Norris at Jefferson and he guided me to Mid Florida which was about 2 hours away. To make a long story short - I was welcomed like a family member and Andy and the guys worked many hours of OT to get it fixed. Also found and fixed a few other issues.  John and Lynn even shared dinner with us on at least 2 occasions as well as let us a car has we were towing a traiker at the time. When it came bill paying time John discounted the number of hours the guys worked as well as not charging for the OT. Would I recommemnd them for service work -- YOU BETTA!!
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »

I'll bump this back up to the top.  We just got back from Lakeland --- with working Jakes.  Joe rebuilt one of the solenoids, fixed a broken yoke on another one and put a missing plug in one on the other side.  We haven't run it on the freeway with the Exploder in tow but based on our trip home from Lakeland I think the surgery was a success.  And John was really gentle with the pricing too.  These are good people that I'd definitely go back to.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: