Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 07:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i discovered a 120v plug in my engine....someone said its used to preheat it?  (Read 3380 times)
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »

Im moveing to Montana, i will need Block Heaters for my Vovlo, Kia, Wife, 4 dogs and me.. Huh i dont thimk im going to like this  Undecided

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
cody

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 02:31:11 PM »

I got used to it after a while but my dog really hasn't adjusted to the block heater yet.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »

Just really check that cord to the block heater out very good. I once lost a building and contents plus the vehicle that was plugged into a block heater. In fact here in farm country many fires seem to occur due to block heaters starting fires. The cord on my 8v71 was pretty bad so I cut it off and if need be will replace the whole unit if I ever do any winter excursions. Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »

Yes, check the length of the electric cord for cracked insulation and all the usual electrical wire safety stuff. No broken ground pins...

Think what might happen if the cord is chafed through against the coach body, and the ground pin is snapped off the plug....

Replacement cords may be readily purchased, in many lengths, that will just plug in to the heater.

Block heaters are a lovely thing and another option available for warming the engine to prepare it for starting, providing a load for your generator, bragging rights at a bus rally, and on and on...

plug it in for as long as it takes to get the block warm, and no more, to save electricity.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 09:32:31 AM »

Should I use my block heater at night when it gets down to 28F or so? I am talking about when the bus is just parked for storage.

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »

Should I use my block heater at night when it gets down to 28F or so? I am talking about when the bus is just parked for storage.

No not just for storage, just if your gonna be starting it.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 06:15:30 AM »

Helps keep the bedroom warm too! I put a switch in the bedroom to turn it on so I xan start warming the engine without going outside.

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 06:16:09 AM »

I have noticed that below 60deg I can tell a difference in the bus starting.

I have my block heater connected to my shore power/generator for the winter.
If I'm going to be connected to shore or have the generator running for long periods I disconnect the block heater.

I just plug in my shore power about 2 hours before I have to leave for a gig and the block is warmed and also the interior of the bus because of the space heater I have plugged in.
I also start the generator about an hour before leaving the gig to warm up the bus and engine.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 06:38:19 AM »

On my big rig, I had an Onan 6.5 Emerald Commercial gasoline generator (the compact Diesel gensets weren't made yet).  Whenever the generator was running, the block heater was also-no matter the temperature outside.  It created a constant 1500 watt load that kept it from carboning up.  Hence in the 12,000 hours that it lived, never had to have the cylinder heads off for de-carboning.  Onan didn't believe me on that one-that no carboning and the unit lasted 12,000 hours.  Amazing what good maintenance will do.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »

I don't see one on my engine. Would somebody with a 6V92TA be kind enough to tunnel out to your bus through the 10 feet of snow and post a picture of this?

How expensive is it to purchase? How difficult to install?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »

Quite the thread resurrection! Ours has a stock block heater. Works wonders. Below 40 and coach not plugged in? No starty. Plugged in for a few hours? Starty.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 09:19:01 AM »

Dr. Steve, you might not have one. They were not installed on every engine. Look in the end of the block just under the head for a chord coming out. There were a few different places they put them, but that is the one I know of. (I think the most common too)

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: