Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 11:02:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Love my Bus but...  (Read 25104 times)
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »

"As I tried to accelerate, I had Susan look at the gauge and it dropped to 35 lbs but went right back to 40 lbs when I let off the pedal.

So this tells us a couple of things. One, the fuel pressure is where it needs to be."

Sounds like a fuel pressure problem to me.  Should not drop with throttle.  To eliminate supply as problem, hook up a 5 gallon can to the input of the filters. 

Have you followed suggestions on how to bleed the DDEC by removing the lead to the fuel sensor from NJT 5573?

"I could not get my DDEC 2 to reprime because the sensor by the fuel filters would not allow the DDEC to open the throttle. I pulled that wire off and DDEC would then allow the injectors to open and pull the air through the system. Once the air was cleared I replaced the wire and I have not opened the fuel system since. That sensor is located at the top of the secondary filter and you need a screwdriver to remove the wire."

Good luck
Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
cody

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »

Ace, could you have a line with a collapse inside it?
Blacksheep

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2009, 03:34:32 PM »

Oh man you guys are gonna laugh all night when I tell you what the problem is/was!

The bus is up and running. Just like normal! What a PIA this week has been!

I have to admit though you guys are great! The many many things to try and search for was a GREAT help and I personally thank you all even though every one of you were wrong! LOL

It wasn't fuel! The tank has just over 3/4 and it's a 230 gal tank so there was plenty of fuel. The filters were full and have been full. I installed a pressure gauge and it held a steady 40 lbs.

The Blower was good as was the fuel pump! The turbo has a small leak at the base but that can be fixed.

The oil accumulation on the top of the motor is mostly from a hose that is OFF that should be ON the valve cover breather. THAT will be fixed too.

After Pete Pappas directed me to my DDEC diagnostic book (on the phone) where I could follow him while he looked at his, he told me what to do. When I told him that the exhaust pipes were not quite right as one was hot from idling and one was cold, he knew right away what it could be. I was instructed to go out with volt meter in hand and check voltages!

As it is, and from what I have learned, the engine is controlled by the ecm which of course is electronic. I checked the voltage on the harness that feeds current to the ecm. This is the center connector of the 3 on top. They are numbered in the book as "a b c d e f". a and b feed voltage to one side of the engines injectors and e and f feed voltage to the other side. Well after checking the connector, a and b had 13.2 volts. e and f had 0. Went to the batteries and there is where the ecm is hard wired for power via TWO 15 amp blade fues that probably cost what, 15 cents. Pete had me look at them and they LOOKED fine BUT when I checked the voltage as they were plugged in, one showed 13.2 across both top terminals (which I didn't know you could check them there) and one showed 0. I changed this .15 POS that LOOKED good and hooked all connectors back up and well, you guessed it! EVERYTHING is FINE! In fact, it startled me when it started so abruptly. It was taking longer and longer to start as the week went  but when I barely turned the key, it fired right up. It went straight to 600 rpm and accelerated like it should. I put it on high idle and it went to 1000 rpm and ran for about 20 minutes. NO PROBLEM!

I thank each and every one of you for all the helpful tips hints and suggestions. I especially want to thank Sammy for directing me to the R3 relay which is what kind of sort of started this whole mess but without that relay being replaced, I would still be having a charging problem.
I want to especially thank Pete Pappas who in my mind might not know it all and never has come across as being that way but I can tell you that if you have a problem, he WILL go WAY out of his way, far and beyond, to the max, to find a solution to fix it! He made phone calls and read books and called me I can't tell you how many times, to further discuss what we would do and try next! If you don't know Pete, and he's not your friend, you really need to know him and become one of his! What a guy! I can't say enough good things about him although we HAVE butted heads in the past, but who hasn't! LOL

The bus is running fine and now it goes IN the shop where it belongs to fix what needed to be fixed a long time past!

Oh I better thank John Silver of Central Florida Transit who sent his mechanics to my house to try and get it going so I could get it in the shop. They were the ones that found the cold exhaust on one side after trying to read the pro-link which told them everything was ok! They were sort of stumped but it was Friday and it was 3:30 and they did want to get to the bank to cash their checks! Hell I understood completely!

Anyway, I will be taking the bus in John and his crew hopefully the first part of the week!

Thanks again....
Ace

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »

Hi Ace,

Glad to hear the good news.....

Make sure you smash that fuse to smitherines! Show it who's boss... Grin

I hope you keep your bus now!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »

Ace,
    That is great news!!  At least it was a cheap fix (once you found the problem)  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »

"Ace" Happy,

Damn, we can't have that!

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »

You will now be able to remind yourself that it is fixed and go back to sleed when you wake up at night with post frustration syndrome.  I have often found those little glass fuses to fail invisibly.  So much so that I generally check them all with a meter when looking for a problem.  Certainly great news.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »

Ace,

Since you aren't going to buy it, could you call or email me with the info about the 8v92??

612-385-7397

rick@rickbarronmusic.com

Thanks

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »

Ace,

Congrads.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »

If you asked me how I feel right now --  after helping Ace get his Bus running again -->

this will help discribe my mood---> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080722.html   (click the picture to see the show)

Pete RTS/Daytona   - JUST PAYING FOWARD !

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »

Great news indeed Ace!!! But I have to admit a little bit of a let down for me. I'm gonna have to find something else to read. This was the first thread I hit everyday for a long time!!! Congrats on the fix. It always ends up being something easy to fix but finding it is the hard part.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »

Ace....Great news! Congratulation to both of you Ace and Susan that the H-40 is running back to normal.

Special thanks to Pete RTS/Daytona for his time and effort to walk Ace through step by step.

And others on the board that earnestly trying to help the bus nut in trouble.

All in all, we can learn more about what to expect when ECM is not getting complete circuity in function.

I know I did because this cause me to ask and search via Goggle to learn more of what out there.

Thank you Sammy for answering my questions.

The moral of the story is to have a analog and a digital meters, fuel pressure gauge, ECM manual and fuses.

Thank you Ace for a full reports of your finding. You are helping me to say the least.

Happy busing to wherever you want to journey to.

Praise The Lord! Cheesy

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »

Con grat's Ace, a very trying job well done. Now I know you had some bad thoughts about your bus during this time of difficulty, so now you need to let her know you still love her. You know how it is with women be they a wife or a bus, they all need love.

WVaNative

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2009, 02:30:18 AM »

I have a question!  But first congrats Ace, I know for sure at times it really gets frustrating!   My question is..........why did the fuse blow, is this something that happens evidently not to frequently?  Was it caused by a short in the wiring?  Was it caused by a over current by something breaking down? Or did the over voltage cause it (over voltage usually drops the current if I remember correctly)?  While replacing the relay did you short the circuit wiring?    I'm curious I'm glad its fixed but will it happen again?   Undecided

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2009, 04:49:49 AM »

Does this mean you don't want trade now?  I was even gonna take that wire back off since you want need it in Florida:D. 

Congrat's Ace and you could have your own lifetime channel movie from this Wink Cheesy

Another tool to add to Sojourners list is a heat gun and check temps.   

Interesting, thanks for the lesson

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: