Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 17, 2017, 11:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Bus Conversion Book Recommendations for Electrical and Plumbing???  (Read 4244 times)
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »

I'll soon be at the point of doing the electrical and plumbing in my coach. I don't really have any knowledge or experience in either electrical or plumbing design. My plans are to wire this coach for shore power. I don't plan on a battery bank or inverter but I might add a small generator that I can plug my shore power cable into if needed.  My question is can anyone recommend a book or books that explain from start to finish how to 110V wire a bus starting at the 50 amp power pole, coming into the electrical panel and then running throughout the whole coach to power a/c, fridge, lights, converter for 12v, outlets, etc...  Also can anyone recommend a good book that shows you what all you need and how to design the plumbing?? I know they are a lot of books out there and also even on this site, but would hate to spend hard earned money for a book to only find out it only has vague instructions or is way over my head. I need something that will show me in laymans terms if possible. I imagine that someone here has gone through this before and might could recommend a good book or two that is written for the person with little to no experience designing a safe Electrical system and properly working plumbing system.. Thanks..

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »

george Myers at epic conversion support  has eclectrical and plumbing books among others. i know there is a link on the busnut boardi have an old 888-420-5645 # i would have to get their other # and address. good stuff he wrote for years for the magazine.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:42:03 AM »

yacht man : I f you can't find a book you might try an electrician to lay out a basic plan for you. This a slow time of the year for them  anyway. he can give you the size of wire and how to install all your plug ins according to code in a very short time. It want cost any more to do it by code. you might need it later on proably cheaper than a book.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:19:54 AM »

You might try this link

http://www.busconversions.com/store/index.php?cPath=27_28_30

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:47:01 AM »

I had already checked out those before starting this thread...but without actually being able to thumb through those books, I don't know if they have detailed directions or just another vague description. I was hoping someone here maybe had looked through one or two and could recommend some good ones to buy that would expain in detail how to wire and plumb in a safe way.

Bussman84
My first love is my 1961 Int. Skoolie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »

Jimmie, when I started my MC-9 conversion I too tried allover to find this kind of information. I had a very good mechanical understanding as to what and how to do this, But was looking for for a more precise what you NEED to do. To help guide me through this project, I tried several bus specific books. Here's what i found: That every bus conversion is different and therefore there is no book to give you specific instructions only general suggestions. I found one book that was helpfull for idea's but again the information was still somewhat "generic" and could only be used as a guide to adapt to my specific needs. If you are inclined in the general workings of electrical and plumbing projects I think once you get started everything will fall into place. If not my suggestion would be to start at your local library for a basic 101 on electrical and plumbing books. Wink Just my experience Hope it helps. I will send you a PM on the book that I found most helpfull on bus conversions I am new here and not wise of the ways of wether it is OK to use specific book names or not since I am not advertising for anyone here. Huh Billy

1961 Int. Skoolie 345v-8 w/4spd.
1979 MC-9 8v71 HT740
Southcentral, Kansas
busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:33:54 AM »

I had already checked out those before starting this thread...but without actually being able to thumb through those books, I don't know if they have detailed directions or just another vague description. I was hoping someone here maybe had looked through one or two and could recommend some good ones to buy that would expain in detail how to wire and plumb in a safe way.

Our second coach was made entirely with the Dave Galey book on hand (Bus Converter Bible), the PO gave me the book and I don't know nothing about plumbing, electricity or mechanics but the bus works perfectly. I think that those books from Mr Galey are great and I'm thinking to buy some two or three more just as general information (maybe some day I could do a conversion by myself)

Julio

Chihuahua, MX
1969 Eagle 05 8V92/Auto &
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:03:08 PM »

Thanks Guys.. That info does help..

Jimmy

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:36:33 PM »

You will not go wrong with either Dave's or George's books.  George takes a very strict approach to the electrical side.  That is good.  Dave takes a more "relaxed" approach. 

At the old Bus Conversion rallies, both gave seminars and both were great to attend.  Those along with Dick Wright gave you all the information you needed to build good systems.  Dave was a hoot to listen to.  He had that wonderful Oklahoma twang and sense of humor.  Don't think I ever missed one of his seminars (except Biloxi - the only BCM rally I missed).

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
gene lewis

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »

Try this site -- It was a big help 4 me when I was at your stage in my conversion

http://www.busnut.com/conv101.html
U mignt also want to check out Tom Halls site at ;

http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/

Check out the articles.

Enjoying the journey in NC,
Gene
1968 Eagle - Model 05  # 7507

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
What a journey in NC.
Gene - 05 Eagle

I-95 at Dunn, 12 miles W. on US 421. Some tools and know-how. Coffee on-we'll talk buses. Bus troubles can & will assist as far as cable-toe will permit.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »

Just an endorsement for George Myers' books.  He has a book explaining everything, with pictures.  there is one on plumbing, on electrical, on heating, etc.  i think he makes a deal on buying them all.  i found them helpful and something that i still carry for a ready reference.  They've actually got more than i wanted to know.  He completely explains electricity in addition to showing 12v, 24 v and 110v systems.  the conversion from watts to amps and voltage has been helpful, but more than i thought i needed originally.  something like $10 or $15 each usually.  in my opinion, they're cheaper than having George or Sean visit your place to help and just as good!  Cheesy Grin Grin

i have not used books from the others, so i can't comment from personal experience.

This has not been, and is not a commercial and i have no gain from this endorsement.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: