Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 10:22:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of Recap and smooth side?  (Read 3569 times)
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 08:03:48 AM »

Interesting points on the paintjob. I like the white roof solution but I have another. I could live with the idea of silver paint with the solid black stripe that runs the length of the windows area that drops down at the front like the stock Renaissances have. I live in DC and have some cool plans for urban boondocking so blending in with all the tourist busses is important :-) Cheers, Paul.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 08:59:39 AM »

Now, I thought that the exterior stainless and aluminium skin of a MC8 or MC9 was structural.  That it formed the monocoque skin and was only stiffened by the interior framing.  That the skin in fact formed the significant structural frame of the bus?

Not so?  you can take the stainless and heavy aluminium exterior structure off and replace it with glued on fiberglass?

Brian

Brian the stainless is on the lower portion where the baggage compartment doors are right?
Doors open & close right? So while the upper skin is structural, I see no way that the "stainless" on the lower part could or would be.

Now keep in mind I have absolutely NO EDUCATION in ENGINEERING, & I'm not listed in any registries (except maybe the photos on the wall @ the post office) and really can't back up my opinion. But I feel safe in saying there is no way that the lower stainless is "structural"!
FWIW JMHO ! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »

Now, I thought that the exterior stainless and aluminium skin of a MC8 or MC9 was structural.  That it formed the monocoque skin and was only stiffened by the interior framing.  That the skin in fact formed the significant structural frame of the bus?

Not so?  you can take the stainless and heavy aluminium exterior structure off and replace it with glued on fiberglass?

The lower stainless areas are simply the baggage compartment doors and serve no structural integrety. The aluminum "Sign Board" area above the baggage doors and below the windows do serve as a major stuctural member. Many will also contend the interior aluminum panels also serve as structural members.

When making smooth sides out of an MCI8/9, the aluminum panels are left in place and skinned over with a very large one piece fiberglass panel held in place with an adhesive. R&M makes and sells these panels. If I remember correctly when talking to R&M, they have a video that goes through the process of installing the smooth sides.  Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »

BK, the monocoque structures that I work with most, which would be race cars, have big holes in them...  Mostly, where we insert the driver...    Grin

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 11:36:53 AM »

Do you think giving access to my beer kegerator in the bus could reduce the hourly rate??? or would I just end up with a wonky installation Cheesy Cheers, Paul.

Yes and as the night went on you would see the change in the siding as it progressed along the side..

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »

BK, the monocoque structures that I work with most, which would be race cars, have big holes in them...  Mostly, where we insert the driver...    Grin

Brian

Brian my point asactly! Replacing the stainless over them holes ain't gonna make bit of difference.

And yes many many moons ago I have been through some of them holes. But it's been many a yr since I scared even the most seasoned drivers when they'd see me at the gate heading out onto the track for the figure 8 race of the night. (most prayed that I broke or crashed during "hot laps", qualifying, heat races or the feature before the figure 8.)
But on those nights I managed to last through to the night long enough to start the "8" I know many a driver thought about returning to the pit, loading up, just watching the "show", as they knew it was going to be "exciting" w/me on the track and most of them didn't want to be in the middle of my excitement!
Never won a figure 8, but sure had fun trying. And after about a yr or so I actually did finish a couple.

I did win some heat races, and several features, but was just too young, crazy and wild to win a figure 8. (I'm sure I could win one now that I'm older and have a little sense!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »

What Huh   Have little sense?  I don't get it Roll Eyes  I quit because I realized that I would never acquire, develop or git the sense required to survive my "little sense" Grin

John the unbreakable

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »

Pickpaul, here is what I know about the bus:

It was converted by a good friend of mine, early 2000's.  He bought it from Richard at R&M, who used it to create his first MC-8/9 smooth side kits.  The roof was raised, don't see many of these with a raised roof.  It has the full, complete fiberglass kit; front cap, rear 102 type cap, bumpers, sides, and cafe doors.  My friend put a new 8V92 natural in it but wanted a little more power, so had it removed and rebuilt into an 8V92TA. I was with him when this was done, so can verify it, along with the documentation.  About 10,000 mi, maybe a little less on this rebuild. Has Jakes. HT740 auto.  The air bellows are plated and it has a cab controlled air leveling system.  It has large nice RV sliding windows made by Hiel (competitor to Peninsula).  Diesel gen, don't know what size but I think 8KW.  I believe it has a 2500W inverter.  3 roof airs and satillite and GPS. 11X24.5 (fronts are brand new) Michelins on polished Alcoas.  I think it has a Webasto, not sure, and a Norcold refridge, so has propane.  Might be a propane cooktop also.  It is one solid color, off white kind of creamy ivory.  No graphics of any kind. No damage. Looks very good.

My friend built it to travel a little, but right after he finished it had the oportunity to buy a house at a steal in Yuma so the bus sat ever since plugged in next to his place there.  About 6 months ago he sold it to another gentleman in Yuma.  He drove it to Vegas and back one time and decided buses were not for him, so he wants out of it.  I spoke with my friend a little while ago and he said the current owner was asking $49K.  If that interests you, call me at five four one, nine nine three, 2220.

Mark

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »

The skins on a MCI are part of the structure. I called MCI before converting mine. The 8" roof raise only cost me about 100 dollars more and an extra 8 hours of time than just doing new caps and skins. It is so worth it !!!!! Try to find someone to visit that has a MCI with a roof raise and you will not go with out. The extra height is not just for headroom but to add 2-3 inches of insulation. I sprayed foamed my bus with 2-4 inches of insulation and now I can heat the whole bus with 1 electric kick toe heater and 2 under 30 degrees. 1 rooftop A/C keeps it cool in 100 degree summer.   

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: