Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 08:55:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bathroom exhaust gurus?  (Read 4849 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2009, 06:45:41 AM »

The bathroom walls went in yesterday and I have a switch for the bathroom exhaust. I have seen several different exhaust systems and want to check in with the bathroom exhaust guru's to get an idea of what has been done in their buses.  I am looking for ideas and suggestions.

Remember that I have a serious aversion to cutting holes in the roof of my bus! Grin Grin Grin

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Grant
Citrus Heights

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:02:30 AM »

Grant, I know about cutting holes in the roof but this one place I did, a Fantastic Fan is the only way to go for me it serves a triple purpose venting,lighting and cooling    good luck
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:04:39 AM by luvrbus » Logged
skipn

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:24:22 AM »

If you wish to vent with DC voltage

Buy a RV vent fan and a ac bathroom vent.  Put the DC fan in the ac unit
 then duct the exhaust where ever convienent.

Opens up a lot of options for placement.

Last year when we were house shopping one house had a venting system that was piped
 to each toilette plus a reg  bathrrom vent.   

FWIW
   Skip

Hobe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »

The easyest way to run a through the roof vent is to use a flexable swiming pool pump hose it can be routed easy and put in a wall easy and not take up much space and you don't have the problem of PVC connection to make it fit nice. Fred N.F.B.C.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

A Fantastic Fan with the rain sensor is the ultimate in utility.  As a additional vent I will install a ex fan ducted to the toilet seat height with an ex out the floor and the fan below decks.

A word of caution:  The black tank is adequately vented to the exterior.  If you get a proper ex fan going and flush the toilet you will get a big pulse of BLACK WATER TANK air injected into the bath.  That experience will make you wish that breathing is optional.  Don't ask me how I know this.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »

luvr's idea to put a vent over the toilet makes so much sense that I don't know why I didn't think of it long ago??

I've been considering a roof vent for a while and now I know where to put it. It can vent the whole bus there as well as anywhere else. The only thing stopping me is I hate holes in the roof.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 03:25:25 PM »

Gus,

Prior to the rain sensor a really neat trick was to put the vent directly over the "shower".  So who cares if it rains while you are out if the fan is left on if its installed in that spot.  I think that is still a valid location as it will exhaust the steam from the shower.  neat, Huh?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 03:40:46 PM »

What vent? Been using mine for 4 years and no vent! Been meaning to get one in but haven't yet!
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »

I don't have a vent either,,, never had a problem.

However, I often thought, how would one work on the floor, venting to the bay.   Huh

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »

I have a Fantastic fan directly above the toilet to remove odors and humidity from the bathroom.  As others have mentioned, the vent if running while flushing can draw in bad odors.  It is good to run the vent while showering to remove excess humidity.

My problem is horrendous odor coming into the bathroom and the bus when flushing the toilet while driving regardless if the fantastic fan is running.  I even put an RV360 vent on the vent stack to see if that would help which it doesn't really.  It got so bad on a trip home last summer that we banned use of the toilet.

I really need to go to a local bus rally to see if I get some help with my venting problem.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »

Belfert,

For some reason, there is a negative air pressure in your bus when traveling.  If such a negative pressure exist, air is going to sucked from anywhere available to feed it.  If you find why you have that negative pressure and neutralize it or better, go slightly positive, you will not suck air in through the toilet.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »

John,

That is a very good idea but won't work for me. For a complete bathroom it is the best idea yet. Luckily I haven't had a toilet odor problem so far.

However, my bus came with the shower, toilet and wash basin in three separate locations. I'm happy about this because three people can use them at the same time without having to try to move around one another in a confined space.

I have folding doors separating various sections of the bus so privacy is not a problem.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »

Belfert

Have you tried running the fan so it sucks air in while flushing the toilet the pressure in may solve your problem

Just a thought -- remember they are free

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 07:11:34 PM »

Just stick the ABS vent pipe for the toilet thru the roof (where is should be) and cut a 45 degree angle on it (outside) aiming to the rear.  When driving it acts like a venturi and keeps the potty tanks at a MUCH lower pressure than the interior of the bus, and nothing stinks when you flush.  Worked on three buses of mine, perfectly...

Poor drawing but you get the idea...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »

Have you tried running the fan so it sucks air in while flushing the toilet the pressure in may solve your problem

I cheaped out and saved like $30 by buying the "Create a Breeze" Fantastic Vent that only blows out.  I figured a bathroom would only need exhaust and not intake.  I believe the unit can be upgraded without replacing the whole vent.

I wonder if the fan blowing in would pull in odors from the plumbing vent on the roof?  The other issue might be pushing the stink out of the bathroom into the rest of the bus.

For Boggiethecat, I do have the plumbing vent through the roof with an RV360 vent cap.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: