Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 08:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bathroom exhaust gurus?  (Read 4867 times)
Blacksheep

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »

I just would like to know why it HAS to be thru the roof? Mine goes thru the floor and it has worked great with NO smell at any time! If mine works, why does it HAVE to go thru the roof?

Just curious!

Ace
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »

Brian, reversing the polarity on the motor will probably be all it takes to reverse the fan.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 09:02:01 PM »

That RV 360 vent cap looks interesting.  It supposedly turns with the direction of the wind.  One would think that it would have the whole toward the back when heading down the road.  But just in case something weird is going on, maybe you could fix it in place.  I don't think your real concern is when docked anyway.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 05:18:26 AM »

I had an RV 360 vent cap, it lasted for five years then the plastic swivel broke. It's on the highway somewhere between Abilene and Eisenhower State Park. Roll Eyes

They look neat but I didn't like the fact that it didn't last very long. I just installed a 1 1/2" pvc el in it's place.

FWIW,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 06:16:19 AM »

Wink

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »

this is confusing to me I thought Grant was asking about something to remove the moister and the smell from the bathroom not venting the tank, then Belfert made the statement that his Fantastic Fan doesn't work and later he tells us he has one of the small RV power vents, help the guy don't confuse him        good luck
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 06:46:19 AM »

this is confusing to me I thought Grant was asking about something to remove the moister and the smell from the bathroom not venting the tank, then Belfert made the statement that his Fantastic Fan doesn't work and later he tells us he has one of the small RV power vents, help the guy don't confuse him        good luck

I don't have any sort of power vent for my plumbing vent.  I do have a Fantastic Vent in my bathroom.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »

sorry Belfert It didn't come out right I thought you talking about one the vents fans in the pipe, I love the Fansatic Fans    good luck
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:47 AM »

After a couple of other bathroom vents that proved unsatisfactory, I finally got the right one.  It's a quality product and works fine.  I mounted the remote switch on the wall where I can reach it from the sitting position.  I turn it on when I sit down, and off before I flush.  Works as the name applies, "fantastic."

http://www.rvvent.com/b2000r.htm

tg
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »

"IF" I could get the same air volume exhausted and take the air from the top of the room with a "thru the floor vent" "thru the wall", there is no way in hell I would punch a hole in my roof.  No way!  Due to the ducting needed and their inherent resistance to air flow, the fan would NEED to be a squirrel cage to get any flow/volume.  A speed control and thermostat would be ideal.  No need for a rain sensor....DUH Roll Eyes

Consider that with a squirrel cage you could locate the fan in the bay.  Important option, maybe.

Of course my Fantastic fan is also a skylight and a source of "cheering" Grin light.  I guess you could do that with a thru the floor vent but you would have to use a lot mirrors. Huh

HTH Grin Grin

John
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:13:42 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
cody

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »

We opted for the maxxair vent instead of the fantastic vent for a couple of reasons, it already has a shroud that is weather proof but the primary reason is that it has 12 inch fan mounted outside and away from the ceiling opening, it's fully reversable with 3 speeds and quite powerfull, ours set blowing out on low, actually creates a breeze coming in the windows.all that is required besides a 12 volt line to it is a standard rv ceiling vent, the kind that a person would find in most travel trailers or campers, the shroud mounts around it and over it so the vent can be left open in the rain or traveling down the road with or without the fan running, a thrmostatically controled unit is also available, either way both fans are good, but the maxxair unit better suited our needs.      http://www.maxxair.com/Products/Turbo-Maxx.aspx
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:59:11 AM by cody » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »

Cody,

I think the max air would be superior to the Fantastic Fan....if the Max had anywhere near the air flow.  My FF makes a lot of noise on hi but I seldom need that speed...still, if the Max has a quieter fan located outside that is a real advantage.  On low, my FF is whisper quiet.

Good point you made.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »

Grant,

I ended using a hi volume house type exhaust fan that is vented down, works great.

Like you I wanted to minimize my ceiling holes.

I may, before I am done, vent it out the side, even though the down pipe works great.

I made a space between the back of my bathroom and shower where all the pipes, vents run.

By pulling out the wall closet(four screws in back corners), behind and above the toilet(built as one piece, including front)I can access everything for those two spaces.

On the vent pipe as others were mentioning:  I tried several types of venting, RV360, cut pipe, but the one that works flawlessly was by putting a PVC tee facing fore-aft and reducing it from 1 1/2 to 3/4 on the front facing end.  The venturi effect absolutely stopped any odors from entering the cabin while underway.  YMMV

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
cody

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »

John if you check the spec sheet you'll find the maxxair has a lot more air flow than the fantastic vent, the specs for the fantastic vent according to their website is 478, 653, and 920, at low, medium and high, for the maxxair they are 500, 680, and 982 for low, medium and high, I wasn't sure which vent you were refering to so I used the 8000 series, that appeared to be the most powerfull, the maxxair I used was the turbomaxx, thats the one I listed and the one I have, like I said either one would be great but the maxxair moves more air according to the spec sheet, the decible rating for the maxxair wasn't listed but I do know that mine can't be heard on low and is whisper quiet on medium and very reasonable on high.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »

Boogie,

There is always the possibility that more than one method of venting works well just like there is usually more than one way to do something.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: