Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
April 24, 2018, 10:15:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: equal i zer brand trailer sway  (Read 1014 times)
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »

I need to haul trailer with ATVs(plural) behind my bus. Have sufficient trailer hitch on bus. Is this brand, EQUAL I ZER in use by any other busnuts. Is it worth the $450. or would a cheaper one work as well.  Trailer and machines is 4000 to 5000 lbs. I do have brakes and controller. Any advice would be appreciated.

BIG John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »

My opinion without scientific back-up,

The trailer won't sway the bus, and if the trailer starts bouncing around hit the controller a little to provide a little drag.

Try pulling without it first to see how it does, if trailer bounces around too much, address that first, (loading, alignment, tongue height, etc.)  Then if you still would like one, go for it and get one that makes you feel better Smiley.

I'm sure there is far better info out there that what I'm telling you so maybe somebody will chime in.

2 cents

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:03:55 AM »

I have found one of the biggest factors to prevent trailer swaying is proper weight placement on the trailer. I was told to load the trailer so that approx 10-15% of total trailer & load weight is on the tongue.
   I once tried to haul a 65 Mustang on a small double axle car hauler trailer. Because of where the car was sitting, I had to load it with the front of the car at the rear of the trailer. I only had to go about 30 miles, but had to do so at about 30-35 MPH. Anything faster caused radical swaying of the trailer. I later hauled the same car on the same trailer, loaded with front of car to front of trailer. 60-65 MPH with no problem.
    I also learned to tie down hauled vehicles by the frame, not the axle. If tied down by the axle you have 2 sets of springs working when you hit a bump (trailer & car on trailer). The 2 sets of springs do not play well together.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: