Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:38:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What trailer brake controller are you guys using?  (Read 714 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »

What brake controller are you folks using in your bus?

I'm a little leery of the inertial type just because I didn't have the best experience with a F350 and travel trailer, but with a bus I might not notice if a smaller trailer doesn't brake evenly with the bus.  I am thinking about the Brakesmart since it reads the air pressure directly for proportional braking, but it is also $500 or so.  Would the extra air connection be an issue?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »

Belfert, I have the Hayes air actuated controller and it has never been a problem and cost $199.00 from Southwest wheel but I'm sure there is better deal some place   good luck
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:53:22 PM »

Do you like the Hayes because of the simplicity, price, or both?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »

I use a Tekonsha with mine, The inertial sensors work very well and have not
had to apply a lot of trailer braking but with the manual apply button it is easy
to use. My trailer has 4-wheel electric brakes and has been able to slow the bus considerably when needed. A little over a hundred bucks and running some wires to the back of the bus. I had to add a relay on my 24 volt brake lights to enable the electric brakes since they only come in 12 volt flavors.

The nice part is the indicator that tells you if the trailer is plugged in.... Grin

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: