Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 05:35:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water & Very Cold Weather  (Read 2805 times)
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »

I'm pissed because I supposedly live in the SOUTH and it was all of 9 degrees in "Hot"lanta when I started the car this morning.  I'd tell to Al Gore to kiss my @$$ but I'd be worried about his lips freezing on contact...
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »

Ha.. And just to think that I left Florida because of flakey weather & taxes... Shocked Shocked

It was 4 degrees last night at 12:00 and went to 2 degrees by 4:45 am.

I had to change out my misbehaving water pump yesterday and put the old
backup online. I have water in the bus now.

I did install a 1,000 watt heat rod in the bay and it is keeping the cold away
from the plumbing and tanks very nicely.

It's around 12 now up on the hill and 22 in the sun down here in the valley.

I got smart and found the plug for the block heater on my truck and that has been plugged in since yesterday. Seems the Ford Diesels don't care for cold weather and if you let them get cold.. It's a No-Fire situation.

I worry for you guys that live where it gets deathly cold. The news said it hasn't gotten this cold here in Tennessee for 6 years. I guess that if you are familiar with your local environment it changes the way you think when you do stuff.

My wife is having a serious adjustment problem since she was never anyplace other than Florida most of her life. Her blood is still too thin. I can adjust fairly well and she yells at me for working outside in 30+ degree weather. I just adapt better I guess.

I had hoped to actually be living in an insulated house or other permanent structure by now so that I could strip the bus and redo the insulation and interior but things just haven't worked out yet. Now that I see what I need to do about door seals and proper insulation I am rethinking my designs.

Thank God for Electric Blankets....& Cats.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I guess that once it warms up above 35 degrees I will be rebuilding my outdoor water supply as the PVC and fittings have surely broken by now. Not much you can do with frozen PVC...

I did get one of those Turbo Hand Torch things at HF a few weeks ago. Man that thing puts out like 500,000 btu but the flame is 3 feet long. I am still trying to figure out how to tame it down enough for spot heating.

Thanks Guys.... You know how it is to be cooped up inside when weather is not being kind.....

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
cody

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »

Yep dave, being cooped up brings on a bad case of shack happys, the deep freeze has broke here (I think), it's about 9F now and they claim the teens for tomorrow and could even be in the 20's on monday, it'll only be temprorary tho, but at least we're down to the final five months of winter, then we can start getting ready for next winter.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »

Cody,

I keep hearing how cold it is up there......

I guess we will find out this Summer when I am up that way.... Grin

Actually I was tricked into jumping into a Minnesota lake during the Summer once....It was nice and warm for about the first inch of water......Then brrrrrrrrr....

Stay warm

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
cody

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »

Cliff, we prepare for the cold and deal with it as needed, for me the cure for it is a nice fire and a book or the internet, ideally the cure is a trip to florida lol, but the world doesn't grind to a halt like many people think, all this week it was business as usual, the schools did have a 2 hour delay yesterday but that was mainly cause it was between -40F and -50F depending on what part of town your in, we're in the warm part lol.  We're lucky in that we're in a very cold pocket for the most part but here when it drops below a certain point, it stops snowing lol so it has redeeming value lol.  We do get extremes but it never lasts long.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »

Mid to upper 80's tthis week end in Quartzsite Az ,there is still room Wink.Sorry to hear about the deep freeze,I don't miss the northern winters anymore.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »

... the schools did have a 2 hour delay yesterday but that was mainly cause it was between -40F and -50F depending on what part of town your in, we're in the warm part lol. ...

I guess being adjusted and prepared makes all the difference.  I still get my daily email news brief from Chattanooga.  The low Friday morning was to be about 9 so they cancelled school for Friday.  No precipitation, just cold. (side note:  at 3PM it was still only 20, VERY strange for southeastern Tennessee)

Makes me VERY glad to be down here in Florida keeping your parking spot warm for you Cody.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »

It's been in the 70's here in Joshua Tree during the day.  I did not pay attention to what it is at night, but I did hear the heater kick on.  This thread is a real revelation to me.  I did not know America had cold weather anymore.  It sounds so 20th Century!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
cody

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »

The cold spell seems to have broken for now, temp today is around 15F, not too bad, and they are claiming possible highs in the 20's and might even hit 30 next week.  The extremes never seem to last long so it's not too bad. Last year summer came early, it was on a tuesday.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 10:08:31 AM »

The cold spell seems to have broken for now, temp today is around 15F, not too bad, and they are claiming possible highs in the 20's and might even hit 30 next week.  The extremes never seem to last long so it's not too bad. Last year summer came early, it was on a tuesday.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective.  To a lot of us, the "warmer" temperatures you are looking forward to are extremes. Grin
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: