Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 05:56:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DD 2 stroke oil?  (Read 5081 times)
Rick Brown

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »

I've been using Shell Rotella T30 in my 8v71, but now the local shell distributor tells me he no longer has that.  My understanding is the magic oil specification is "CF2" for that engine.  Shell sent me to another distributor who sold me Valvoline "Non Detergent SAE 30 Motor Oil" exceeds API service SB.
Anybody know if that is really suitable for DD 2 stroke engines?
Thanks
-RickBrown in Reno, NV
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:08:50 AM »

Have you tried Tractor Supply or a farm and fleet type place?  I think Tractor Supply still has CF2 oil, at least last I was there a year or two ago.  I don't pay too much attention to CF2 oil since I have a four stroke.

Someone else can speak for sure on non-detergent oil, but I am pretty sure you don't want that for even your lawnmower engine.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »

You need to use 40w CF2 oil.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »

Been meaning to ask this for awhile so I'll add this to yet another DD 2stroke oil thread.  The manual for my engine (6-71N) says 30 W oil.  On this board and every where else everyone says 40W.  I personally have been known to run 10W higher than suggested on high milage gas engines so I'm thinking maybe there is a tradition of running 10 W higher on DD.  The other thought is that at some point DD changed the recommendation for 2 stroke oil.  If DD did change the spec on oil when was it?  BTW my DD book also says to run 20W in the winter, but as mine seems to start with 30W at -10C and I don't plan on using it in the winter  I will not have to do that. Finally Walmart sells 30W and 40W CF2 oil in the summer and 20W and 30W CF2 in the winter, that is here in Canada but in the MN I saw the same last year.  I agree that tractor supply would also be a good place to look. 

wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »

Rick,

"S" designated oils are for gasoline engines.....DO NOT use this stuff in your DD two stroke.

What Prevost82 said is correct.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 01:43:11 PM »

I was just over at Mills Fleet Farm and they have 30W and 40W CF-2 in two gallon containers for $20.49.  Mills Fleet Farm is in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but similiar stores and chains exist in many areas of the USA.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 03:30:57 PM »

I found it hard to get Rotella straight 40 weight also. The local distributor had a different brand but only multi viscosity in Rotella and couldn't get it. A search on the internet showed them as being the place to go for straight 40 weight Rotella in my area. I also looked at the local farm store (Orshlens) and they couldn't get it. One day I was getting something else there and they had it. I bought the 9 gallons they had and am waiting for a couple more if it ever shows up. I would rather stay with the Rotella but everyone else has different brands. Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
baker4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »

I finally found a NAPA dealer that would listen to me and look it up and they found they could order Rotella 40w and got 2 gallons for me.   I have found that Walmart and Tractor Supply both have Rotella 30w on their shelves.   On another note, I had a synthetic manufacture say their oil was ok also but I'm not comfortable with trying that.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »

Exxon/Mobil XD-3

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:04:01 PM »

non-detergent oil is not for bus engines, or any engines for that matter.

No detergent, nothing in the oil to clean and trap the nasty dirt.

That popularly gets used as hydraulic oil. My Ferris lawn mower calls for it in the hydrostatic drive.

Don't go back there, except to return that oil.

A distributor should be willing to order you the oil you need. Find out what the case lots are and buy in those proportions to make it easy...you need them more than they need you...

Keep the next oil change on hand, so that you have time to find, order and wait.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 12:46:42 AM »

There is an interesting article about different oils and Detroit Diesels at:  http://www.tejascoach.com/tejasoil.html 

In general the conclusion of this lengthy and interesting discussion is that these three oils are all within Detroit's specifications.

• Chevron Delo 100          
  • Exxon XD-3                   
  • Shell Rotella 40T           

My local parts store, as suggested in this article, can get Delo100, I'm a happy camper!

As I'm anything but an expert on Detroit Diesels, I'll defer to others learned opinion. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:07:36 AM by MattC » Logged

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
cody

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »

I'm corn-fused as usuall, we can get rotella 40w up here because of the large number of older logging trucks and equipment, where my confusion come in is that my motor seems to have a problem, the oil doesn't seem to go down much, we did about 8 thousand miles last year and it used about 3 quarts, and no, it's not getting water or anything else into it.  We went from Upper Michigan to tennessee in our "run to the sun", while we were visiting BK and his family we put the bus in the shop and changed the oil, from bk's in tenn we headed for florida and jacks rally, enjoyed that and then spent some time at jacks before heading back to the snowbelt, back at bk's the oil was down almost a quart, I topped it off and when we got back up in Upper Michigan it was down almost another quart. After tearing up the midwest thruout the summer, we had to put in another quart. Seems strange to me cause I'm being told that detroits are bad for leaking or using oil, why isn't my 6V92 doing that or like dallas says there isn't any oil in it lol.  I was told the engine was rebuilt before i got it but i have no proof and the engine doesn't reflect any strange cleaning or showing new gasket material hanging out at odd angles.  Anyway I am enjoying learning about oils and what kinds of oil I can use in the future when the oil drys up in the ground and the arabs are all keeping it for themeselves and I check it and find out i need a quart lol.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 07:58:31 AM »

cody, a little secret...

busnuts are notorious for buying worn out stuff and thinking that it's condition is normal...

You've checked for other fluids, notably fuel, so you're fine.

your consumption sounds good to me, and some others will be envious.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 08:45:35 AM »

Cody, you've got a serious problem there buddy.  Hurry, get a gallon of delo 100 and pour it all over the outside of the engine.  Then your engine will fit right in with the rest of us.   Grin Grin Grin Grin
cody

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 08:50:12 AM »

I really don't have a clean engine, a good friend on mine has an mci and we caravan a lot to bluegrass things, stuff like that, I follow him so that I can rust proof my bus early in the season, once i have a proper coating then he'll follow me for the rest of the summer. ( can I say that here? lol)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: