Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 08:56:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was going on at Quartzsite AZ  (Read 5259 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »

Here's a few more photos from the joint GMC/Flxible/Eagle rally held at Quartzsite last weekend:

http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/11/25955.html?1232398198

There were over 100 buses gathered around for this event, roughly split 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 by brand.  I also saw some MCIs and Prevosts scattered here and there, but there was no organized rally for them that I was aware of.

Leno's Flx was not there - had it been it would have been the highlight of the rally.

The turquoise Flxible Visicoach in the center of Bike Whisperer's photo is owned by Jim Craig, of S. CA.  You can see a photo of his toad if you follow the link above.

David -  If you follow the link above, you'll see a GMC Scenicruiser conversion, and also one of the Flxibles that you're thinking of as being the 2nd Scenic model.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »

I maybe changing the subject but I think Van tare has his question answered. I was wondering how many miles on your engine since last rebuild and why did it blow up and was it completely toast?

Grant,dont know the mileage since last rebuild,although we just put on new set of heads 100 mi ago after this happened last time due to a faulty radiator wich also was replaced along with the heads.I suspect the hydraulic pump leaked out it's fluid and thus not enough pressure to operate the cooling fan.pulled over when temp started to climb above 190 .I think pretty much seeing water coming from the air box tube that she over heated real good . The gauge had to be off considerable .this is the second time on this motor ,which means a complete new rebuild would have to be in order,and would be a lot cheper in the long run to get a pull out instead which Don Fairchild already had one lined up for us even before we finally arrived in Quartzsite.Insidently Pogressive road side assistance did an outstanding job in getting a Landoll for us and getting the bus back cudos.

David there were at least one senicruiser there that we saw.

Paul ,did'nt see leno but that don't mean he was'nt there
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:13:27 PM by THE BIKE WHISPERER » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »

My computer is given me fits so here's a link(I hope)to my photo bucket side for the rest of the Quartzsite photo's
http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq292/cwvanhagen/

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »

Van, It's too bad Jay Leno wasn't there with his Flx. I have seen his collection and it's truly amazing what he has been able to do.

Maybe next year. I'll get in touch with my buddy and have him ask Jay to bring his Flx next year.

Hope you are able to get that Eagle back on the road very soon!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:30:07 AM »

From what I think your telling me your cooling sytem let you down and yuor gauge was out. Man that sucks! Makes me think I should be installing a secondary temp. gauge. Maybe a manual gauge. Has anybody done this?? It seems that there has been a few engines blown lately due to overheating.

All the best to ya!

Have Fun!!
Grant
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »

Jack Conrad was recently showing me his dash setup (a very impressive dash array in my opnion).  He has separate temp gauges for each head plus several other additional instruments to monitor the drive train.  Someday I would love to implement something similar in my bus.  I like the aircraft instrumentation approach - that way you can see a lot more of what is going on right from the driver seat.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 11:02:19 AM »

This may sound a little over kill,but after going down this road again I started thinking about all new monitoring for the engine compartment to include video .Was thinking it might make a good addition to the equiptment already in use,shus beig able to see the things which are inpossible to see under way,leaks ,smoke or even fire for that matter,what do you think?

busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »

video would help . A person sure can't tell what the hec is going on way back there if a gauge goes for crap. That is a disadvantage of not having the motor up front. After countless days of listening to my motor in the big truck I had it down to a science just by the sound. Then again when I got tired I also would hear things haha . I sure like the idea of a temp gauge for each head!

Have Fun!!
Grant
Dallas

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 12:24:09 PM »

To be honest, and I'm not trying to be hateful or put you down, but I think your major problem is that you aren't watching the dash gauges you have or they are so inaccurate, that they are worthless.

I grew up driving trucks, all kinds of trucks, anything from a hand truck to a big truck with over 100 tires on the ground. Some had outriggers, some had jeep axles, some had big engines, some had little shiney 290 Cummins engines. The bottom line was that I was taught to scan the dash, forward, to the left, to the rear Left, to the dash, to the to the Right and to the right dash and repeat.
This takes about 8 seconds, and always gives you an update of what the surrounding conditions are.
Too many people think that the gauges on the dash are going to make major changes when something goes wrong... unfortunately, that isn't even close to true. All the information in the world is available on your dash, just look for a minor change and compare it to conditions you've been in before.
Here's a for instance... My oldy PD4103 runs well for about 3 hours per day, but after that the temp gauge starts to climb and will steady out at about 240F then the rest of the day it will stay right there, whether I'm running big hills, little hills, flats or down hill. The first 6 or 7 times it happened, I pulled off the road when the gauge reached 195F, the mechanical gauge on the engine read 170F (what the Thermostats are set at). I also checked with my Laser Temp gun, and got lower readings even yet, probably because I had to go find it and the time in between let the engine cool more.
Another time I watched the gauge go up and down, up and down, up and down about 5F over and over again.. this indicated to me that the coolant was low or the thermostat was stuck. After about 2 minutes of this on a two lane road I found a place to pull off. When I checked, the surge tank was empty, and the engine was running about 30F hotter at the heads.
I found a blown hose that was weeping with force, not a spray, but not a drip either. I replaced the hose, added water and went on my merry way.
If I hadn't been WATCHING THE GAUGES I would have lost the engine.
I think that no matter how many bells, whistles, lights, alarms and doodads you have, unless you are paying attention to the gauges, the sound of the engine, the feel of the pedal and even the feel of the steering, you'll end up having problems in the long run.

I hate to her that you lost your engine again, and I really hope it's not FUBAR.

I hate downers, and I never want to be one.

Dallas

This may sound a little over kill,but after going down this road again I started thinking about all new monitoring for the engine compartment to include video .Was thinking it might make a good addition to the equiptment already in use,shus beig able to see the things which are inpossible to see under way,leaks ,smoke or even fire for that matter,what do you think?
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »

I can't agree more with you Dallas. Gauges are everything! They are the engines way of talking to you. I do think the temp gauge is $$**ed though. He said he pulled over when the gauge climbed over 190. There's no way anything should go at that temp or even 200 is there? or is that your point on not paying attention to the gauges. Just kind of wondering about that 190 degree thing. I'm no mechanic but if I was running 190 or even a little higher I wouldn't worry too much.

Have Fun!!
Grant
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »

Jack Conrad was recently showing me his dash setup (a very impressive dash array in my opnion).  He has separate temp gauges for each head plus several other additional instruments to monitor the drive train.  Someday I would love to implement something similar in my bus.  I like the aircraft instrumentation approach - that way you can see a lot more of what is going on right from the driver seat.

I explained our system here   http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=10801.0 

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »

Dallas,

I don,t have the experience you have, but what I have told me,

1) The gauge on the dash shot over and pegged out immediately, at that time smoke started pouring from the rear of the bus. NO WARNING.
2) The first time I lost a cylinder gasket, I was not watching the gauges nor did I know ( which was probably the reason for the heating problem) That on there were two filters primary and secondary.The primary was 95% blocked.

3) The second time I blew a cylinder head gasket was in California, on the hills I watched the temp gauge creep up to around 205 always backing of to be sure I stayed under 205. I also had a gauge  from the engine piped though to the rear bed room. Co pilot Kept a check on it . Also prior to this always checked with the hand held temp pistol. Which are NOT AT ALL accurate, and only to be used as a guide. After all this I still had a gasket blow.
I dont know how you are able to have a temp your 4103 of 240??

I do have lots of experience changing Bus radiators, power assist rams,pumps,cylinder head gaskets,brakes,seals,bearings,air bags,suspensions,engines. for myself and other people.Only with the help of fellow bus nuts, Luke, Bill and my wife Tami.

Blacksheep

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »

I would have to agree with Dallas. If my dad, who was a trucker all his life, taught me anything about being on the road, it was to constantly watch the gauges, and I do religously. The bus we have now makes watching the gauges a LITTLE easier since it has monitors and sensors but I STILL watch my gauges!

Ace
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »

Dallas,I'm going to tell you honestly ,that yes you do sound a little hateful and are trying to put some one down (not me).I too have driven every thing under the sun and then some,but that's not the issue .This engine was already weak from the start and only had 100 mi on it since installing the new heads , so yes of course the gauges were being monitored constantly,which caused me to shut it down right away.the engine is not seized ,so when I stated that it was toast that was only a figure of speech.Obviously there are other issues afoot with this engine,the radiator was replaced with a new one.Thermostats,water pump,blocked core ,what ever ,it's still toast to me and it's outta there .A new 6v92 is already in the works and long over due, so am I upset about it? ,not hardley .Will I Freak out like the first time ?,don't think so,and who do I owe for  my confidence ?,you guy's here on the boards,those bus nuts that have a heart to pay foward ,what was payed foward to them,as I will pay foward to those in need of help .I understand how frustrating it can be listening to folks lose a motor due to not watching and monitoring,but just imagine how they feel with their own heart aches and sorrow.Fortunately for me We do not fall into that category so lighten up a little ,life is good :)Van

P.S we will get to the bottom of the heating issue's with this engine.but not until I get the new one in,keep ya'll posted Cool

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:55:52 PM by THE BIKE WHISPERER » Logged

Dallas

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 05:11:48 PM »

Even though it sounds that way, I really wasn't castigating you. I hate that it came out that way.

However I do know just how fast problems can arise with a 2 stroke. These are some of the best engines ever designed and as tough as circa 1938 cast iron can be, but they can also be as finicky as a bride at the makeup table before her wedding.

With these engines it doesn't take long to do a lot of damage because of heat. That is the reason for the constant monitoring of the gauges.
These engines are a lot like their bigger brothers, the 6-110 which was tried in over the road trucks for a very short time. The problem with the 6-110's is that they would overheat quickly when used with a variable speed governor and as a consequence, blow a head gasket or spin a bearing in a very short time.

Oh, and John....
My 240 temp reading is false. According to my mechanical gauge in the engine compartment and my hand held temp gun, the temp is fine. I attribute the discrepancy to most likely a bad sending unit or some other electrical malfunction. I know longer worry about it as much because it happens like clockwork. After 3 hours of driving, the temp will creep up to around 240 and sit there for the rest of the day, even after the engine has been shut down for a couple of hours.

I apologize if any of this came out wrong, as none of it was meant as anything other than informative.

Dallas
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: