Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 06:58:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Types of injuries while working, driving or using your bus?  (Read 3497 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:35:06 AM »

I would like to get some idea of the types of injuries sustained while working on your bus. I would also be interested in the types of injuries or illnesses you have encountered while using your bus (accidents, camping....). Stories are always good! I am considering using some of this information to publish a simple treatment guide (article) for all us busnuts!

Thank you very much for your help! Grin

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
cody

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »

This could be a painfull subject for many of us lol. My injures have all been minor, I've rapped my head repeatedly on the top of the doorframe, various boo boo's, my most interesting one was last summer while installing one of the new windows I stepped back to admire my work, yep you guessed it, lol.  The most painfull part of the conversion is the same for me as many others, when i have to open my wallet.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »

Both mirrors on my bus are set low (5' 6" maybe) Shouldn't be a problem as I'm 6'2".  Still I have twice been crouching to pick something up, and stood up and smacked the top of my head, one time so hard I fell right onto my @$# and almost passed out....ahhh the memories...are fading.

busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »

I'll just say I have a few new fingernails, a scar on the top of head and have had to figure out how to get off of the roof on my own after the tarp I was using to cover the bus (while filling in windows) caught the ladder and knocked it over. Glad nobody was there to see me.

Have Fun!!
Grant
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »

I have woken up in the morning with a head ache at times from drinking too much beer the night before in the bus. Being a bus nut can be hazardous...

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »

I have taken a head first fall when my ladder slipped, tangled with the ladder and brought the whole mess down on top of me.

Gashes, cuts & bruises.. Needless to say that running into MCI mirrors can be a problem. Raising up and planting the bottom bolt into the skull happens. After the 4th time I figured it out.. beware of mirrors...

Wrenched hands that ache and don't work anymore. Bay door cables that break when you least expect it and doors slamming down... Lucky I was faster and I knew better than try to catch that one.

Working on air conditioner and slipping on the roof while trying not to fall on the solar panels... Those split second decisions can really hurt.

Dropping an MCI fan housing panel on your head..
Finding that Wasp's like to build nests in your bay door handles...Whew That is fun...

Hot metal slag doing a dance right into your shoes (every single time!!!)...
Grinding wheels exploding...( DUH? )...

No job is done properly until you have bled on it several times...

Kevlar arm sleeves are handy.. mainly to sop up the blood...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »

Great answers everyone.  Nothing to add to the normal; expected minor cuts, bumps, bruises, burns, muscle strains, hangovers and busted wallets and smiles.

Most of my misadventures (?) have been Mother Nature oriented, likes bugs, wasps, mice, pack rats, snakes, skunks (after the mice?) lightning strikes, etc.. HB of CJ
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:59:54 PM »

After raising the roof on our bus I was welding the post back in and fell through the (no floor) into the bay and broke two ribs.
The floor wasn't in the bus only walk boards.  I turned and stepped off the walk board.  As I was headed for the bay one of the steel floor supports tried to stop me.  It only slowed me down but broke the two ribs.  After a trip to the Dr. I had to take off a few days. 
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »

Yea, I have one..

Don't construct your wardrobe too low and too close to your bed. It took me 2 whopping head splits with blood and all to find that out...

I now have padded corners and havn't hit my head since.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
VanTare

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »

the only accidents I have had (twice) is the Aqua-Hot exhaust burning my leg 

David
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »

It all sounds so familiar
Good to hear I’m not the only one who cut my head open on the mirrors.
Standing on the ladder to long taking out the windows I pulled an Achilles tendon.
While walking on the roof (washing) I slipped and landed on the ground on my hip.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:29:47 PM by Ednj » Logged

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Blacksheep

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »

A screw (driver) bit that went THRU the hand is not a good feeling at all!

Those zip-dee awning arms are low enough that when you hit your head ONCE you won't want to do it again. That's why the NEW slider bars that raise them up are ordered!

That's only a couple I remember off the top of my sore head!

Ace
coachconverter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »

Funny to hear how many people have hit their heads on MCI mirrors, funny because I did it today, and hard, on a F3500 mirror, still feeling it.

Also, blew out my knee lifting once, lifting with my knees!

Spray-foamed my fingers together while insulating a Sprinter bus, didn't realize the glove had melted away.  "aw, I'll keep going, who cares if glove fingers are stuck together!".  Took 4 hours a razor blade, and a racing heart to get them apart.

Had a MCI engine shutdown piston go through my thumb once, I'll use a stick next time.  That was the last time I ever put any part of me "inside the belt"!

Todd
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »

The repeated shock to my wrists when using the 4 foot fence post to break free the wheel fasteners on the parts bus... Hang, Bounce, BANG..... that was me done for the day and it took a week before wrist movement went unnoticed.

Fellows, (hard to find women who fall off ladders for some reason...) get some scaffold pieces!!! Takes a little longer to set up, but a whole lot harder to fall off!

Put a traffic cone at each front corner of the bus...right under those #$$%^#% mirrors!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »

Up and beyond discovering I had cut myself when I noticed the blood dripping off my arm or leg (seem not to have much pain perception when working), the worst was getting Salmonella poisoning while at Zion (nothing to do with Zion).  Had a bad bunch of packaged baby carrots.  The two days we were there at Zion was spent inside the bus within close walking distance of the toilet.  With that convenience, I often wondered what tent campers do when they get sick?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: