Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 04:59:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire Sizes for headlights  (Read 1013 times)
BC Bus

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:12 AM »

I am going to rewire my MC 8 headlights which are now wired in the series system and was upgraded by Greyhound in 1981.  I have changed relays, diodes, grounds, switches and it has  given me nothing but grief.  I am going to wire them up like a 12v car.  I sincerely appreciate the fact that the stock system worked great for years but please don't try to talk me out of this. I have installed a Vanner Equalizer .

Here are my questions:

What wire size should I run from the equalizer to the drivers junction box where I will build a 12v bus bar. The equalizer is mounted in the battery compartment.

What wire size from the 12v to the new 12v bus bar which will be in the drivers junction box?

What wire size for the low beams and high beams.

Can I run all of the high beams 4 filaments burning, off of one relay ?

Suggestions?

GMC Buffalo  &  MC9

Always willing to help a Busnut !
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »

I just did this.  I ran 8 gauge wire from the house battries to the panel beside the drivers seat. Put in a circuit breaker, a three way switch with center being off, up being high beams, down being low beams.  I took the high beam indicator and wired it to the high beam side and used the one for low lav to tell me when the head lights are on.  Works great and I like the fact I don't have to try to find the floor mounted dimmer switch with my big foot.  By the way mine is a 1973 MCI 7
ED

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »

BC,  I think headlites are 60 watts on high or there about. 60X4=240 watts divide by 12 = 20 amps  # 12awg use # 10 to be safe. Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »

I would run 2 separate relays, one for high, and one for low beam. That way you can use high and low beam at the same time if you need or want to. With 2 relays if you loose one, you still have one set of lights to get you where you can repair it.
Jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 05:22:36 AM »

When I re-did the headlights on our MC-8, the first thing I did was modify the high beam cans to aqccept high-low beam bulbs. I then installed 4 hi-lom beambulbs. The high nd low beams are 2 completelty differnt circuits. We now have 4 low beam as well as 4 high beam lights.  On low beam, the light is directed closer to the ground and we have never had anyone flash their lights at us when using our low beams. This also gives us the redundancy, if we burn out a low beam, we still have at least one on each side.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
BC Bus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:04:57 AM »

Thanks guys, the 2 relay idea is what I was thinking too. 

GMC Buffalo  &  MC9

Always willing to help a Busnut !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: