Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 11:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Models  (Read 6260 times)
Kenny

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:33:13 AM »

I'm really interested in purchasing another bus and would like something with the long continious looking windows as in the H-series Prevost (see attached photo). Is prevost the only manufacture that has these type of windows? Does MCI or others make buses like this? What years and models?

Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:46:37 AM »

Kenny, a bunch of manufacturers offer that "look" today. It depends on your budget,personal preference,etc.I worked with a fleet that had Eagle, MCI, and Prevost coaches in it.
Here's a few links for you to look at, hope it may help.  Cool

http://www.mcicoach.com/?reloaded=true

http://www.setra-coaches.com/

http://www.abc-companies.com/models/C2045e.asp

http://www.prevostcar.com/cgi-bin/pages.cgi?page=home
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:47:26 AM »

I think just about all modern buses look like that - in fact mine does and it's over 20 years old. The glass units are bonded directly to the steel frame with (on mine at least) flat strips of black plastic covering the join between adjacent windows to give a 'flush' look. If the windows are tinted black it emphasises the 'continuous glass' look even more, and I think if you had to you could probably have larger areas of gloss-black painted steel or plastic between the windows without losing the effect. I'm planning to do this on mine where a couple of windows will be removed as part of the conversion.

Incidentally, one of the styling features of the first Range Rover (1971) was it's black-painted roof pillars, which created what Land Rover later called the 'floating roof' effect, which they have maintained right through to the current models:

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:03:33 AM »

Guys, thanks for the info. To be a bit more clearer in the description of what I'm looking for, referring to the picture of the Prevost H-series, from the out side of the bus the glass on each window is only separated by a small gap in the outside glass. There is no mulion or any other type of post showing from the outside. If you were to ignore the gaps between the window panes, it would appear to be a continious piece of glass. This is the appearance I'm looking for. Could anyone provide bus manufactures and specific model numbers?

Thank a bunch, Kenny   

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »

Ok, understood. I suspect that many (if not most) modern buses are like this in fact, but you'd have to get pretty close to a real bus (rather than photos) to see if the actual glass edges are exposed or if there is something covering them.

If it helps, I'm sure the latest Plaxton would qualify:

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:33:24 AM »

Jeremy, thanks for the info. I'm looking for years and models that are afordable ($0-$30,000 range)

Thanks, Kenny 

Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 08:40:31 AM »

That seems to be the current style.

http://www.neoplan.de/en/Products/Coaches/The_Cityliner/Bildergalerie.jsp
VanTare

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »

Kenny I was told that Prevost did not use the bonded windows prior to 1998 on the H series they were a framed window.The bonded windows look better to me than the framed windows no rivets or frames   

David
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:17:00 AM by VanTare » Logged
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »

Just happened across this 'flush glazing' pic which you might like:

Jeremy

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 06:54:44 AM »

Kenny,

Look into MCI J or later. Most of those have the smooth glass sides (without the window casings).

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 07:46:10 AM »

While there are PLENTY of smooth look coaches out there, I beleive you'll find it extremely hard to find one in that price range!
MAK bus sales (the same one that provides this board for us!) has one for sale now! He has listed it on Ebay several times! But again yer gonna have to go out back and dig up more of those old mason jars of $ you got buried! LOL! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »

BK,

You are right about the prices. If Kenny is going for looks, what about a Setra 407 Wink (I think that is the one, I am going from memory which isn't all that reliable Grin Grin Grin). That is a awesome looking bus.

The price will certainly be more for those buses. Our DL3 doesn't have smooth windows, and it sure wasn't cheap.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 10:28:34 AM »

If your looking in the 30K range .... your pretty well looking at an early 90's H3 with a 8V92ta.

A friend down the street, with a small charter company, just picked up 2 1996 H3's with ser 60 motors for 45K each, but those are far and few between.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:31:42 AM by prevost82 » Logged
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »

If it helps, I'm sure the latest Plaxton would qualify:

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a bug in a Pixar film . . ?
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:38:46 AM »

Just happened across this 'flush glazing' pic which you might like:

Not quite the paint scheme that I'd like, but I'd sure love one of these to convert!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 10:51:12 AM »

Wait patiently, these will be available for busnut use in a few years:

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a bug in a Pixar film . . ?

I have a friend who is thinking about buying a bus to convert, and his young daughter doesn't care what type of bus he gets as long as it has 'bunny ears' - bunny ears being her description of the type of mirrors fitted to buses nowadays. I think you are right though - in the case of the Plaxton Elite's front end the mirrors look more like an insect's antennae above the insect's head.

My bus incidentally has a 'bunny ear' on one side and a normal mirror on the other. That's how it was built, but it's definitely going to have a pair of ears by the time I'm finished with it.

Regarding the Plaxton Elite, I think the most interesting thing about it is the curved roof; a lot of modern truck trailers here now have roofs shaped like this, so presumably there are sound aerodynamic reasons for doing it.

Jeremy

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 12:03:41 PM »

Wait patiently, these will be available for busnut use in a few years:

Even better, the articulated version:

Jeremy

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »

Keep in mind there is a price to paid for that smooth look.  I have a 1995 H class with the steel window frames.  I was able to put in Penninsula windows and mount them in the frames.  They look and work great, sliders on the bottoms of all 8 panels.  It does not look as cool as those smooth sided ones.  However after it painted I thinh kit will be fine.  Just look at Ace's (Blacksheep).  His H looks great and his also has the window frames.

I have a friend who has a later madel H class with the smooth window, and his only way of opening a window is to tilt them out.  difficult for screens, and airflow is not very good.  He immeidately put front to back awnings on both sides so he could keep his window in the shage while parked.  I think he appreciates the greater functionality of my older windows.

Those frameless window restrict what you can add for windows later - unless you have a very deep budget.  My 8 windows cost about $4500 including installation.  Double pane, reflective glass, with sliders and screens.

Just another  thought.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Airbag

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 04:07:13 PM »

I think that is great you are in the market for a bus. You are among a select few that can part with a large sum of money right now. My bus is worth less than half of what I paid for it now. Wait another two or three months and you can buy a bus with a loaf of bread and a cup of coffee. Those fancy windows could be a reality. Good Luck
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: