Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 09:18:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Ox Base Plate  (Read 2283 times)
travlinman

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »

We are getting closer to purchasing a bus, but I have not had any luck finding a used base plate. What do you guys think the best place to purchase one new is? I'm in the San Francisco area right now if that helps.

Steve

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
VanTare

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »

Please tell us what type and model of vehicle that you need the base plate to fit     

David
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »

Check out this thread

Steve

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=10482.0

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
VanTare

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »

Steve a 15 year old base plate is going to be hard to find with out a special order I ran into this on 1990 Corvette I was wanting to tow and gave up on the idea. Another thought for you would be try and get one of the fellows in Quartzsite to check on one it's my understanding you can buy about anything there for the RV market.   

David
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:44:25 PM by VanTare » Logged
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 05:34:45 PM »

hitchtrader.com

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:02:04 PM »

I pull a pathfinder that is over 20 years old and I finally gave up and just ordered one from blue ox

It wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be and it went on in less than an hour

Fit like a glove

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »

I've used Blue Ox on three explorers. Well, actually 2. I just installed the 3rd one last weekend.  I had an issue with one breaking, and they saw fit to replace it. I can't
complain about the quality or the service. Each one has gotten more expensive, but they've also gotten more sophisticated. This last one has removable tabs.
You can't buy direct from them. You have to go through a distributor. I'm sure there's one out there where you are.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 08:11:23 PM »

did you try having uhaul weld one?  my understanding is they can fit/make about anything.  even if it's wrong for the tow bar, wouldn't that make a starting point to modify?

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
cody

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 05:31:56 AM »

I've got a blue ox tow bracket that I've used and modified at least 6 times in the last 20 years and it is working well about all thats left thats original is the front plate where the tow bar hooks onto, I use a good welding shop to make whatever bolt up brackets I need, made for whatever vehicle I'm using and I've gotten good service out of it.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 05:46:39 AM »

I was planning on using two 2" receivers on the front of my truck with a cross bar between them.  

Make 2 hitches that fit to the blue ox bar by stacking some plates, 3/8 or 1/2 Huh.    

Then I could change out what is up there,   like hooks, steps, fishing rod holder,  winch,  whatever you need or think of.

YMMV
IMHO

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
cody

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 05:49:54 AM »

My dad had a receiver on the front of his pickup and when he needed to spot anything in the yard he would just hook it onto the front, was much easier to manuver things like his boat with it in tight quarters.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 06:30:37 AM »

My toad has trailer balls on brackets attached to the frame on the front , about 3 feet apart. The towbar has 3 trailer couplers in a triangle shape. Easy to connect or remove. Im also going to install some propane tank mounts to the tow bar, to transport extra 20 lb cylinders outside the bus/toad.

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 07:04:51 AM »

I am still trying to figure out what a "Base plate" is?HuhHuhHuh
Thanks
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
cody

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 07:10:12 AM »

The baseplate is the part that attaches and stays on the vehicle, it's what the towbar itself attaches to on the vehicle, they are vehicle specific and are bolted onto the frame of the front of the car.  The baseplates are very expensive and I've found that a quality metal fab shop can do as well as the factory in making the same items for a fraction of the price, when I contacted blue ox in regards to the baseplates for my jeep they quoted me over 400 bucks, 75 dollars got me a better job at a metal fab shop.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »

What Cody said.  Our first towed was a '92 Nissan.  I put a stout piece of angle iron across the frame behind the bumper.  There just happened to be holes in the frame in appropriate locations so I drilled the angle iron and bolted it to the frame.  For the Blue Ox tabs I had a good shop weld a couple of tabs to a Grade 8 bolt (probably about a 5/8 or 3/4 bolt - can't remember exactly).  Put the bolt through the angle iron, put a washer behind the angle and double nut it.  QED and its still on the truck - my kid drives the truck now and the tabs aren't really noticeable.  Newer vehicles will be more difficult because of all the plastic crap they put under and around the front bumper but the same principles apply.  I bought the baseplate for our 2005 Exploder because I was too lazy to figure out how to fit the plate around the plastic but I paid dearly for that convenience. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: