Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 10:45:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus way over priced!  (Read 3031 times)
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »

I thought the price of this bus was a typo but it has been popping up online in several locations all with the same price of a quarter of a million bucks! In the description he mentions that he has over 300k invested which I can believe based on that gorgeous wood especially at the entrance to the bedroom. The hot tub is very nice too but surely he will need to get close to dropping a zero off the price if he ever hopes to sell it. What do you guys think?

http://www.onestopmotors.com/ad_details.aspx?ad_id=33488

Cheers, Paul.
cody

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »

I would think they are very optomistic in what they think they will get.
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:36:03 PM »

He had it on E-Bay last week for the same price, I think he is dreaming.

Gary
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »

Its that Mahocony wood that makes it so valuable.  You don't see that stuff very often.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »

I would think they are very optimistic in what they think they will get.

That sounds like a response from a politician.... Wink

Not on this planet....

Some have a hard time figuring out that if someone has, and wanted to spend that much on a conversion, they would almost never buy a nonprofessional conversion.

Its not that some have not achieved very similar quality, its just the type of buyer.

There not looking to fix ANYTHING, they want a warranty and a service center to go to with it.

We can all dream, but being a realist from the start saves a lot of disappointment.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Eagle78550
Above All... Eagle

93 Eagle 15-45

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:01:41 PM »

Like my Dad used to say ....." Yer gonna hafta find somebody that loves it more than you do " ...He was great ...And truth be known I never did find somebody ...so you settle for best offer and take the lumps ...just my .02
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »

Could it be to many zeros in the price!

Steve 5B......

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »

Could it be to many zeros in the price!   Steve 5B......

Steve,

Its been on a few different locations with the same price......Maybe needs a new proof reader....... Tongue

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 08:31:11 PM »

Only if two fools meet.

73 MCI-7
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

Must be the retro 70s look,but still I don't car what church they got that confessional booth entrance from ,damn right for that dough it better have a life time warranty on everything Wink ,they must have fallen and hit their heads(twice)Have a nice week end  Kiss

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Where do I send my check to. Wink
Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 08:16:45 AM »

LOL....If this guy can find someone that's smokin' the same stuff he is than maybe....but probably a typo

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 08:57:33 AM »

I thought the price of this bus was a typo but it has been popping up online in several locations all with the same price of a quarter of a million bucks! In the description he mentions that he has over 300k invested which I can believe based on that gorgeous wood especially at the entrance to the bedroom. The hot tub is very nice too but surely he will need to get close to dropping a zero off the price if he ever hopes to sell it. What do you guys think?

For some reason the pics didn't load for me, so I'll have to take your word for how the thing looks.  However, look at the whole ad and the mystery is largely answered.

The thing is located in the Palm Springs area, where incomes tend to be higher and there are a LOT of converted coaches.  If the thing is in good overall condition, and the woodwork is mahogany (that the heck is MAHOCONY???), chances are that's one of those "4,000 man-hour" conversions that have been discussed recently, and he's overly aware of his costs while comparing it to other coaches in town.  It doesn't matter that it's 36 years old and an MCI if it looks as good as the 20-year-old Prevost from down the street that just sold for $300K.

This is one of the problems with setting a value on a coach conversion -- there is no baseline to start with.  Coach shells range in price from scrap value up (waaaayyy up!), and most conversions are one-off, so there is no way to compare them.  I got my 4903 shell at a very good price, but how to compare it to an MCI that is, say, 15 years younger?  And that's just the SHELL, now get out the pencil sharpener and figure the relative value of the conversion layout, the components and the workmanship.

Is this guy's coach "way over priced"?  As far as I'm concerned, it sure is, because mine is costing a whole lot less for everything I need and nearly everything I want (but then, I don't want "Mahocony").  But for the guy who has been looking at $350K rigs all month, $280K would certainly be worth considering, for a fancy coach that he can move into today.

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »

LOL....If this guy can find someone that's smokin' the same stuff he is than maybe....but probably a typo

He IS in Palm Springs.  Isn't that the town where SONNY BONO was mayor . . ?

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 09:06:23 AM »

I see some calling this guy a fool Embarrassed If he can get the price he wants whose the fool. I would not pay that for any coach as I do not have $280,000.00 to spend. Give the guy a break.

My thoughts
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »

An old friend of mine had a saying. "there's an @$# for every seat" More power to him should he find said @$# er I mean buyer
cody

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »

I was chided mildly for using the term "overly optomistic" lol in my thoughts as to the price range of the bus, I think it's very much over priced for what I would pay but the cost is still relevent to many factors, none of which I saw addressed in the short description offered.  One example is a gun cabinet I built for an attorney in chicago many years ago, the cabinet came complete with a hidden compartment that concealed a very valuable collection of revolvers, for all other purposes it looked like a normal gun cabinet made out of solid rosewood but had many hidden features, in 1978 a hardwood gun cabinet would sell for in the area of 350 to 500 dollars, that one sold for 4500.  It resold at an auction a couple of years ago for 15K, really surprised me so I never try to use a set pattern of pricing on anything anymore, anything is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it, a seller can optomistically price in any range he wants but he still has to find a buyer that feels it's worth it too.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »

I think it's very much over priced for what I would pay

And there is the bottom-line answer.

A sale takes place when the buyer is willing to pay what the seller is willing to accept.  That amount is the true value of the item, considering time, place and condition.  For the rest of us to say that it is or is not a good price really means nothing.  If you think the price is too high, make a lower offer or just don't buy it. 

I watched a friend lose thousands of dollars when he was selling a boat because he refused an offer the first week it was listed.  The buyer found a better hull at the price he could pay, and my friend had to pay slip fees for months waiting for another offer, and the only one which came along was lower than the one he had refused.

The same thing is happening in the RV market, and thus affects coach conversions, too, but only in the low- and mid-range.  The people who are going to drop a million bucks on a Prevost don't much care that the price of fuel has gone up or down.

One of three things is going to happen.  He's going to find a buyer in that price range, he's going to drop the price, or he's going to keep the coach.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »

It appears that he did not research the market before listing. If he gets it good for him, but this makes the seller look foolish simply by not knowing more about his bus and the market.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 02:20:03 PM »

I wouldn't even think about spending that kind of money for any RV even if I had it! But, for a lot of people, that is pocket change, especially around Palm Springs.

I have less invested in my 4104 than most people have in the toads they drag behind their humongous S&S.

It all depends on from where you are looking.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

If he gets it... Nobody will be making fun and we'll be thinking about what our own might go for....!

Don't be discouraging him!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »

One can't really say for sure that he will not get what he wants for it (see PT Barnum), but you can say that it is way overpriced.  Considering the amount of bus expertise on this site, I would say that several here can give pretty accurate good and bad market prices for a given conversion.  Even for a good market, that is way out of line.  It doesn't even matter if he did spend 300k on the woodwork and other secrets.  That's like building a mansion in a slum; the neighborhood significantly devalues the property.  It's a 36 year old MCI.  The main question if it had a gold toilet would be, "does it flush."  By the way, Palm Springs is not all that ritzy anyway.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 08:04:22 PM »

He doesn't show the entrance, probably bad first impression, I bet it is a bare to get in and out of Wink, speaking of bare, he coulda showed some more of the picture in the back room Grin

doesn't seem to fit the price range i think,  good luck to him

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »

Considering the amount of bus expertise on this site, I would say that several here can give pretty accurate good and bad market prices for a given conversion.

Lin hits the home run.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 10:03:25 PM »

That painting over the bed must be a Renoir - very easy to figure the value, 250K for the Renoir and 30k for the "frame" - FWIW

BG6 - there aren't too many people plopping down a million on a Prevost currently - I went to the RV show in Tampa for the first time in years - Last time I was there they had a handful of Prevost's - this time there must have been over 2 dozen -  The Mfrs. have all scaled down - Featherlite even sold their sales facility in Sanford and closed the rest - they  now operate out of the factory - they're now like gypsies and have taken their shows on the road - I did get to view the 2.5 million H3 - sadly it wasn't - the sales mgr. Rick (I think) Mueller said my bus might become a collectors item - I was kind of excited until I realized he thought I had one of the four series 60's - I didn't have the heart to tell him differently as he appeared excited hearing about it - But I do agree, the falling stock/bond markets have had more of an affect on sales than the price of fuel - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: