Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 11:40:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Undercarriage shop along I-20 corridor?  (Read 5855 times)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

http://www.jeansbussvc.com/Contact%20Information.htm

Sean,

Try Jeans and ask for Johnny, tell him wassup, If they can't do it, they can tell where to get it changed out.  They run Setra's and Vanhools and work an bout anything.  Only a couple hours from atlanta, you may have to visit some busnuts though Smiley
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:26:14 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »

Sean...whenever your in a large city that have heavy duty truck dealer is bound to a heavy duty frame & alignment stop to handle your problem. Always ask truck dealer their opinion of their nearby frame & alignment shop to satisfied you.

A popular choice or high rated frame & alignment shop will or can repair without R&R "A" frame with alignment to be back on to your journey to wherever.

Hope everthing goes well for you.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

BTW..I would ask that the alignment is guaranitee to be in spec if had it recheck there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:49:20 AM by Sojourner » Logged

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 08:09:54 AM »

We finally are rid of our bad A-Frame.  Many thanks to everyone who posted suggestions here.

On recommendation of Roger Baughman here on the boards, we went to E & C Spring Inc. at 518 Venture Street in Escondido CA 92029 (760-747-5050 or 760-747-1961).  Owner Ben Elkins was extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and professional.

For the record, we asked about straightening the piece, and his opinion was that it should come out to be straightened anyway.  And his further opinion was that the tube was badly enough damaged that he would actually cut that section out and replace it.  Since we had a good take-out, all that was moot.

The infamous hinge pin that is reputed to be the source of all trouble with this job turned out to be no problem.  The pin came out with a combination of an air chisel (with a flat drift head on it) on one side, then a short section of pipe and the original nut as an extractor from the other.  And the pin went back in with some coaxing from the same air chisel -- no need for the dry ice routine.

It turned out the thorniest problem was removing the bolts holding the other end of the arm to the frame. At least one nut was frozen on, and the A-frames on both sides are through-bolted, so bolts needed to be moved around to keep the other side in place during the procedure.

My bill was for eight hours of labor (split between two men), as I had supplied all the parts.  In addition to the take-out A-frame, fellow BBS member Russ Barnes had also furnished me with four new bushings and pinch bolts.

Now that the A-frame is done, we are on our way to L.A. Freightliner to have the bearings looked at and the alignment done.  We normally stay out of these sorts of major shop operations, preferring smaller shops where the service is somewhat more personal.  But getting parts or even drawings and service instructions for our weird Mercedes axles is something of a challenge, and Freightliner is Mercedes' official US service channel.  We chose the Los Angeles location because BBS member Tom Christman happens to work there.

Once the bearings and alignment are taken care of, we'll proceed directly to a tire dealer for six new tires, as we're now well below legal tread on all four drivers, and the steers are so lumpy they are rattling our teeth out.

I'll be writing this up on the blog shortly, and we've got loads of photos of the process, so we'll pick a few to post there as well.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »

Thank you for your update. It nice to know how it went.

Labor wise...it can be about the same or less than weld repair due to the time to R&R.

Hope everything goes well to getting it aligned properly.

Thank you for sharing it.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: