Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 02:57:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV shows... not my bag baby  (Read 1696 times)
viento1

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »

Ok, so I return from our trip to the lake in order to catch the local RV show. What did I see? well, about 200 000 square feet of white paneling with occasional Swoosh sticker. There was not one booth that knew anything about solar panels, compressor type refrigerators, leveling systems, not even a holding tank macerator pump... All they knew was chairs, beer holders, those mats that you put on your front step, various bbq units, and of course trade show non stick cookware.

I wish they had Bus shows... maybe I should spend my time at a Marine show, maybe they are a little more "hands on" technically minded?? I don't think anyone in that Trade show could trouble shoot a burnt out headlight!

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
cody

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:27:53 AM »

I like rv shows, it reaffirms my opinion that a bus is the best way to go, if your looking for the real thing as far as what is needed for the road you need to attend rallys or possibly the insanity at quartzite.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »

Vinnie, trade shows are for normal people that hire out everything. You're right, they don't care about replacing a headlight, there are people for that. By now you should realize that Busnuts are different. Wink We build and modify and for the most part do it ourselves. Grin We can't help it Tongue We're the most independent cusses you'll find anywhere, and that's a 'Good Thing'  Grin And yes, Cody, Buses are the real thing!
My $.02 Worth, Will
Now I have to get back to work. The icemaker came out and vegie bins for onions and spuds is going in. Roller bearing hardware to handle the weight and some of the finest rock maple from a drop leaf table I picked up at a garage sale for $20. It's looking sweet  Grin Grin And yes, when I get a faster connection, I will be posting pictures. Sorry for getting long-winded here, Will

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:25:09 PM »

I found the one I went to very helpful on what not to do! Grin  I saw LOTS of weirdness and bad decision-making.  However, it helped us work through some layout ideas, see some neat accessories and appreciate what we were doing.  It also gave me some ideas about where to put switches, outlets, tv's.  Some have some nice designs.  I highly recomend that a newbie look at the trade shows to learn.  FWIW.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »

In the early days of owning our bus, I took my family to an RV Show at a local convention center. It was a fabulous opportunity to point our little details to my wife.

While standing next motorhome the same length as our bus, I asked my wife if she had a mental image of the wheel and tire size on our bus.  She said she did.  I told her to look at the tiny little donuts on the motorhome and asked her if those would make her feel safe.  Her jaw dropped.

Later, she remarked on her own how all the cabinets seem to be cheap particle board where we had solid oak.

We found lots of printed sheets with the model's specifications. It was fun comparing our bus to each motorhomes specs for the water and holding tank sizes, storage bay space, and how close they were to their GVWR without passengers and posessions.

Not many of the units had price tags displayed, but when we came across a few, and my wife saw what they were going for, that pretty much sealed the deal.  My wife was always very supportive of my purchasing our bus from day one. But a little insurance never hurts  Wink

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »

I think my wife let me get a bus so i wouldn't take here back to the RV show Wink

and price/rv was helpful to prove my point but she did like the nice, flashy, and finished stuff.

I got the idea to install the redneck bidet from there.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:59:30 PM »

I have to agree that there is a big difference from a rv owner and a bus owner. It isn't long before a bus owner becomes very educated about a lot of things on his rig. The average rv owner just drops it off cuz it doesn't work. There is nothing wrong with either style. It's just that some of us tick a bit different than others. If an individual has very limited mechanical skills or can't physically perform such tasks then the factory rv route is probably the direction to go as long as his checkbook can handle it. With a reasonable amount of mechanical skills and forums such as this it enables many of us to go the bus route. You do have to admit that a converted bus sure looks more imposing compared to the average Winnabago!!  Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: