Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 09:50:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric heat in floor  (Read 1750 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »

Have any of you tried this in your bus?  http://www.nuheat.com/products/overview.html  Someone suggested I try it. Not sure how to make this open as a link.  Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
VanTare

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »

I have it and like it this is my 3rd with it but it will kill a battery bank in a short period of time has a big amp draw regardless of what they tell you and is not cheap to repair or to buy   

David
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »

Gumpy’s Hydronic Heating System

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »

Thanks but I am to far gone or along to go with water heat. Some one suggested this under the carpet.  Thanks Tom

Tom Yaegle
VanTare

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:49:18 PM »

Tom Nuheat is not manufactured to use under carpet never seen anybody try that   

David
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:06:50 PM »

Well, I hope their product is better than their website.  I am assuming that they are selling mats with built in electric heat.  There is no reason that it will not work as well as any other electric heat when you have power.  I'm sure that you have been through a bunch of different options, but I find the small, quite, plastic electric heaters to be quite nice.  Of course, if you are without a shore connection, any electric heat will need you genset to be pumping.  The Webasto Air Top type diesel heaters offer one, although not cheap option.  We have gone with propane.  We have one furnace, but also have the RV catalytic type.  I did not permanently install it, but put it on a quick disconnect instead.  I suppose you have already looked at what Dickinson's has to offer (http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/index.html).  Although I conceptually like the products, they do not seem to fit us very well.  We are only 35 feet long, so blocking off space can be an issue.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »

I have NuHeat mats under my kitchen and bathroom Italian tile floors, and seeing as it's 5* outside right now, I wouldn't trade them for a sack of gold lugnuts!

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:45:31 AM »

I have 2 Nuheat mats under the tile in our bathroom in the bus. They work well.
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »

I did but in a propane furnace. I am just thinking as another heat source, I was told I would need to bond it to the floor.

Jay and 82, Do you feel it would heat the coach or just make for warm tile to walk on?  Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »

Tom.

From my understanding, it's all a matter of BTU's.  Electric heaters are usually 1500 watts because that's all you can put on a 15 amp circuit.  That amounts to about 5000 BTU's.  If the mats tell you their wattage, you can multiply that by 3.5 to get the approximate BTU rating.  From there, you have to decide what outside temperature you wish to heat for.  I think probably 10000 BTU's will probably cover you to around freezing. If it gets colder, you can turn on the furnace for backup.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »

Having been involved in electric heat trace wire and pads,

They can be very dangerous, prone to overheating and FIRE. All the manufactures also carry self regulating tape and pads, same problem.

John
VanTare

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:26:32 AM »

Check this one it is used in some coaches   http://www.goldheat.com   

David
VanTare

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »

forgot about this DC model www.warmfloors.com no one I know liked this one because of the DC amp draw     

David
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »

Jay and 82, Do you feel it would heat the coach or just make for warm tile to walk on?  Thanks Tom Y

The NuHeat mats will not heat your coach, but when the floors are really warm, I don't seem to mind if the air temp
is cooler than usual.

I'm sorta financially broke, so I just put on more clothes.

HTH

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: