Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 11:16:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just say Howdy  (Read 4976 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:40:54 PM »

Okay guys. I wondered how many salute other charter buses and bus conversions. We have found that a way of saying hi, is flashing your headlights once, and then waving. A lot of the charter buses wave or flash their lights back, or just wave. I just thought that it would be great if we all made sure to say "hi" as we pass each other...

Thoughts???

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »

This may sound really silly but one of the ways I judge whether I want a vehicle is whether drivers of that vehicle wave at each other. The first 'unusual' vehicle I ran (air portable ('lightweight') Land Rover) was definitely the sort of vehicle driven by friendly enthusiasts, and you would always swap waves with other drivers. Driving a Yank car here is the same, and most people who drive older Range Rovers also do so because they are enthusiasts for the marque and are pleased to meet someone else suffering from the same affliction. The other car I drive now is an LS400, which is really quite a rare sight on the road here - you do see them occasionally but with the Lexus you are never sure of what 'type' of person is driving the other one, so hesitate to wave. I've probably only passed two or three other LS400s in the whole time I've had mine, but as it happens I saw one last week - I didn't wave at the driver but wished I had as he gave me a very long look and was almost certainly an enthusiast for the model.

Jeremy

On a slightly different topic, there a convention amongst truck and bus drivers here for 'thanking' each other (after being let back in after overtaking etc) by flicking their indicators (turn signals) in a particular way - anything similar in the States?

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »

There used to be a whole series of signals.  It's been a while, but I think that if you came up on a truck you wished to pass, you would flash your high beams on and off.  The truck would flicker his markers when it was safe to pass.  He would then flash his brights when it was comfortable for you to pull in front off him, and you would flicker the tail lights to thank him for his help.  It's been a really long time since I have used any of this, so I may not have it exactly right.  I do not know if anything is used now except between truckers.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:07:32 PM »

I think he is referring to saying hi: but far as passing when I was driving 18 wheeler most truckers just turn there headlights off and still have parking lights and markers on. this gave the ok to pull back in. Flashing the headlights is hard on the eyes in the mirror, especially when you are on the tired side. Then you usually flashed the markers as a thank you after you pulled back in lane.
gyrocrasher

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »

Jeremy:
It is indeed customary, here, (big trucks) to flash one's tailights as a thank you. Cut tailight power 2-3 times at night; flash 4 ways in daylight. (tailights too hard to see)
In fact, most trucks I've owned/driven since the 80s(?) have had a power interupt momentary switch specifically for that purpose. This switch usually kills ALL trailer lights. Mitch
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:11:44 PM by gyrocrasher » Logged
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 03:29:56 PM »

If you are following a truck or bus in Mexico and he puts his left blinkers on that most likely means that, in his estimation anyway, it is safe to pass.  I do that fairly regularly for drivers who are trying to get by me in Canada & the US and probably about 1/3 of them figure it out and appreciate it.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »

I Beleive,
The Greyhound driver's flash their Left turn signal at each other and have a contest to see who reconizes the other hound first. Huh

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
John316

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »

First off, I was talking about greeting others when you pass on opposite sides of the interstate. Just a way of acknowledging the other buses.

Second off, Yes you guys are right on the signals. All of the mentioned signals are correct. Four ways to thank a truck. We do use the different signals a lot.

Bob, You are one of those drivers that we like to pass on a two lane road. Keep it up.

But, I just wondered if you guys acknowledged other buses on the road.

God bless,

John

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »

Since we run mostly non-interstate roads, we don't see a lot of other conversions. When we do we usually wave. What little bitt of time we are on an interstate, we usually wave, but are often so far apart by the median and other traffic.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 06:11:42 PM »

I do find that passing another MC5 is a strange event as we both kinda wake up from the whiteline fever. assess each other, posture a little than slowly a smile forms on our faces, our hands come off the wheel and then the moment is gone and I crane my neck to see if his motor is running clean  Cheesy

I like when I get a wave from charter busses, makes me feel like I am part of a secret society. Of course another MC5 jut makes me giddy.

Slightly off topic... when i am on the highway and the left signal light comes on, i think... hmmmm is this guy turning on a secondary road or is he giving me some kind of sign. If I seen a right hand signal, my first instinct is to check my mirrors and prepare to pass - whether I wanted to or not. But I dont think I can single handedly change the world. that did not sound very inspiring did it? maybe i will start a crusade?

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
John316

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »

Viento,

I am with you. I get most excited when we see another DL3 (which is much more common than a 5, since charters and G-dogs are still using them). We have found a bit of a comradery with bus drivers. And bus companies have helped us out several times when we have needed a part or something, while on the road.

God bless,

John

NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »

Driver etiquete for professional drivers at night is cut your headlights once heavy equiptment clears your vehicle. He then blinks his markers twice to say thank you, either as he comes over or after he is back in your lane. In daylight turn your headlights on once heavy equiptment clears your rig and you get two blinks thank you as he comes over or is back in your lane. If you can see the driver in his mirror hit the lights when he is looking at you.

In the old days we got information out to oncomming traffic. Two quick flashes repeatedly meant smokey ahead, three repeatedly meant accident and prepare to stop. Florida is the only state I know of that does not like professional drivers to flash their lights.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »

No matter what I happen to be driving, when I see a bus approaching I always flash my highbeams (daytime) and give the driver a thumbs up as we approach. When I'm in the toad or company rig, most just ignore me, especially them snobbish Prevost drivers Huh What can I say Grin I love buses! Roll Eyes

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 05:28:55 AM »

We have also found that if stopped where a charter bus is stting, the charter bus drivers usually comes over to talk and see our bus.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 07:38:23 AM »

I havn't noticed alot of waving on the Interstate in the BUs.

But on this subject, I have had a Jeep CJ7 forever, and it would be a rare event that I pass another Jeep driver and they don't wave hi.   Tongue

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:10 AM »

Everything sounds very similar to the UK in terms of how drivers communicate with each other, which is I guess what you would expect. As an aside, we have a breakdown-assistance organisation here called the AA (http://www.theaa.com/) which was apparently nothing to do with breakdowns originally - instead it was network of men who stood about in areas where police speed traps commonly operated, and if the AA man saw an AA badge on the grille of an approaching car he would warn the car if the speed trap was in operation. Not surprisingly this activity was soon outlawed, so the AA turned itself into a network of mechanics instead.

The original AA men often had their own huts at the side of the road, which you still occasionally see in country locations, the huts invariably being carefully restored and maintained by local heritage enthusiasts:

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »

Interesting, AA is also very popular in the US.

rusty

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 12:57:03 PM »

Now that's funny Grin Grin. Thank You for making my day.

Laugh at lest once a day Wayne
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »

I find it almost disturbing how people have let the addressing of one another slip by the way side. I have been a part of the biking community for a long time. It used to be that everyone would wave when meeting each other. No a days it just seem sto have slipped away. It seems like it is a status thing and if I were to maybe trade my old harley off on a new one they might wave again? Doesn't mean a hill of beans to me really if that is the case, however a wave or addressing one another is a sign of respect and I will keep flashing my lights and waving.
 However I'm with you BUSNUT104, the high beams at night makes my eyes bleed, make a person feel like installing some big @$# spot lights pointing backwards to say thanks $@@**, Obviously these guys don't work hard enough to have tired eyes I guess.

Have Fun

Have Fun!!
Grant
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 10:06:31 AM »

It has been a few years since I read the CDL manual (NJ) but I believe it is illegal to use lights to signal another driver. May be the reason we do not recieve more lites in return.

I happen to believe a subtle marker lite blink is fine, but do not do more.

I do wave to most all conversions, noting the 5's.....

Have a great day.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 10:07:24 AM »

We live on a dirt road in Joshua Tree, CA.  As you drive in and out to the highway about a mile away, everyone waves at each other as they pass.  Once you hit the pavement though, it's a different story.  Maybe its because your going so slow on the dirt road that there is time to acknowledge each other.  This goes for everyone but my wife, who runs the dirt road at 50 mph and thinks its a real kick.

bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »

When I see another conversion I give a wave and try to raise them on the CB. I only get about a one in ten responce but it is always fun to chat with other busnuts.

73 MCI-7
chargePlus

1951 GMC PD4103-125

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »

I have been a part of the biking community for a long time. It used to be that everyone would wave when meeting each other. No a days it just seem sto have slipped away.

When I rode my Honda Nighthawk (back in the mid 80s), I found that the *only* riders who didn't wave to me were the Harley riders. I figured it wasn't because they weren't friendly, they just didn't approve of my ride. OK, that's cool.

I experienced the waves from people I didn't know several times before I caught on and started returning or initiating the greeting. I have also waved or given a "thumbs up" to particularly interesting motorcycles, and cars. The smiles are worth it.

- John

Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »

On our country road we always wave when you pass a vehicle, the city boys usually don't wave back but that's the way it is. When I drove truck back in the late 60's the 5 ton I drove had a button on the dash that looked like an old style starter button, it was marked "Blink Mark" which gave the marker lights a blink. It worked good and made me feel like a real trucker, I was only 18 then.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 07:12:17 PM »

In 66 I returned from Europe with a brand new VW Variant station baby wagon.  Great little car but not much power.  I left Pittsburgh, Pa. for my first cross country drive in the afternoon.  I had precious little experience with highway driving, let alone highway etiquette.  Into West Virginia and going down hill on a twisty two lane road without any shoulder I drew up behind a semi.  He was going fast enuf and was obviously in a down hill gear.  I wanted to pass and took a peek and a car was coming.  Repeated that a few times and then I saw clear road.  Problem was that a turn was approaching.  I down shifted and the mighty 80HP engine roared.  Off I went into the left lane and was accelerating about even with the cab and I noticed lights on the mountain twilight lit bank of the turn in front of me.  As if by magic a car materialized in front of me going faster that all hell.  He just flashed around that curve and stared me in my wide eyes and he didn't even blink.  It was sure as heck too late for me to stop and he wasn't even trying to slow.  Just as were to hit and my sudden death by Buick was about to happen, my car filled with this mysterious flashing white light.  It happened faster than I could think of Divine intervention but at that moment I wrenched the wheel over thinking that smearing myself cross the front of the semi was preferable to embedding my rear bumper in the grille of the Buick.  Well, I made it and left a big scratch across my rear window rubbing against that semi's front bumper. (that's a joke, but not much)  My rear view was filled with semi bumper and he had every light on that rig on hi beam.  Had i been a half second slower I would not have made it over in time and I think the flash started me moving.  Thank you mister trucker....thank you.  I haven't forgotten you.

In Oregon we flash you back in, day or night.  Years ago I saw headlight turned off to invite the other back in but I haven't seen that in a while or at least I haven't noticed it.  The flash at night lights up the roadway and markers in front of the passing truck so gets a positive signal.  Not that i haven't led a sheltered life and should not have the last word.

About that left turn signal:  I have always seen a left turn signal as a warning to NOT PASS.  It has proved true for me over the years.  A 'blink" meant it was safe to pass.  Am I completely wrong on this?  Truckers please comment.  Come Back!

Thanks and always signal and greet...especially two quick flashes,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 10:07:28 PM »

By the time I get over my excitement and find the switch, they have already reached their destination!

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 07:56:28 AM »

Quote from: busshawg on January 29, 2009, 10:58:42 AM
I have been a part of the biking community for a long time. It used to be that everyone would wave when meeting each other. No a days it just seem sto have slipped away.

Quote from Chargeplus: When I rode my Honda Nighthawk (back in the mid 80s), I found that the *only* riders who didn't wave to me were the Harley riders. I figured it wasn't because they weren't friendly, they just didn't approve of my ride. OK, that's cool.

ha ha , maybe that what my problem is, I just wave at everybody, live and let live. I always tell my wife that I just so happy I have to sit on both my hands to keep from waving at everybody.

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 02:51:43 PM »

"ha ha , maybe that what my problem is, I just wave at everybody, live and let live. I always tell my wife that I just so happy I have to sit on both my hands to keep from waving at everybody.

Grant
[/quote]

Grant, That's just plain cute Grin
Will & Wife
I haven't had time to log in for a while and I'm just reading through all the missed threads, so bear with me.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »

If the vehicle is equipped with daytime running lights, the driver can't turn the headlights off.

So, a flash of the high beams is all we've got, not the best when there's only a single bulb both sides, hard to tell if it was a flash of a bump in the road, sometimes.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: