Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 24, 2014, 01:09:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flat Screen TV Mount?  (Read 2691 times)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« on: January 30, 2009, 03:42:16 AM »

We are going to be installing a flat screen LCD TV, probably 27" or so. We need a full motion type, and want the strongest we can find. It needs to swing out/pivot at least 90 degrees.  I have googled and found several types of articulating, full motion styles. I guess I get nervous cause I don't want to thing crashing down from a weak mount, especially in our bus. Even though our ride is phenomenal I don't want to take any chances.

Any ideas on what you have used that has worked would be most appreciated!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:25:43 AM »

Paul, when you purchase your flat panel, there will be a instruction booklet, a 32" fptv weighs about 30 pounds, in your manual they will recommend a specific mount for your tv.   Just a note here, they also don't recommend flat panels for RV's, but like you and many others I probably won't listen to them!  What ever mount you pick, my recommendation would be to use bolts that go completely through the panel you are mounting the tv to!  Also use large flat washers to distribute the weight better.  On the back of many flat panels there is a safety mounting bolt also, which would use a wire or small cable should something else fail!  In my case the tv will be mounted over my head, the idea of 30 lbs crashing down will driving isn't a great thought!  find somewhere in the chassis structure to anchor that safety wire and make it very short!  With air bags and the smooth ride of a bus can be deceptive, the idea of 30 pounds bouncing up and down can be a very real problem, don't use wood screws to mount the tv!!!!   A good class 5 bolt with washers and locknuts would be the wise selection!  Wal Mart had a very good selection of mounts they had some cheap ones but they also had some very nice heavy duty looking mounts!  The mounts are rated for the size and weight of the tv!   Good luck!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
cody

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:45:02 AM »

The idea of flat screen tvs not being recommended for mobile use is only partially correct, there are basically 2 types of flat screen, plasma and LCD, both can be used in a mobile application but plasma is more suseptible to problems associated with motion and isn't generally recommended, LCD seems to function well and is being used extensively for rv's.  The mount should be secure and heavy duty, there are many mounts that are articulated and should work well, we bought ours at walmart, they had one for about 30 dollars that was lighter duty than the one we bought for around 60, as was mentioned instead of screwing to a header, bolt it thru with either a support panel behind it or large washers .
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:08:48 AM »

Hi Paul,

From expierence, don't use the after market mounting systems. They are not designed for a moving vehicle.

I have gone through two 32" LCD flats in the living area because of vibration of the mount. I seem to get a year out of one

unless I hit a very large pothole.. The third is now mounted ridgedly. I found longer screws that went through the 3/4"

plywood substructure over my driver area enclosure and right into the TV mounting holes. No more ratteling TV mount...

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 05:17:44 AM »

If you go with the articulated mount, you might also consider providing a "stowed" position for when the screen is not in use. For my own use, I am thinking about having the arm fold to a location with the screen against the wall. Then there will be a means to fasten the screen down that takes the weight off the mounting arm.  For rougher roads, this should help.   Keep in mind, the longer the arm is extended, the more stress is created on the mount. 

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
cody

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 05:21:34 AM »

Nicks idea is the best if you can do it, mount the tv directly to the bulkhead in the front by bolting thru and directly into the mounting holes in the back of the tv, the bounce from going down the road may be minimal but it still takes it's toll over time. As is mentioned, we brace the tv while in motion to minimize any movement or bouncing while on the road.  A wide velcro strap attached to the wall behind the tv secures it by coming around to the front and securing it nicely, no muss, no fuss.
VanTare

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 05:38:50 AM »

Paul the motorized lifts seem to to a better job of securing the TV I have had both and both types TV and most TVs on today's market require power all the time so check that feature also.My coach has a 32inch in the bedroom built in so far no trouble only the re progaming every time on air or has lost power to it,  and a projection in the living area with wide screen and that may be a option for you they are a neat setup just a pull down screen . 

on to Tampa
David
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:03:51 AM by VanTare » Logged
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »

When mounting my LCD tv's I looked at the available mounts and decided they were not up to the job. In the master bedroom I mounted a groved to accept the bottom of the TV piece of oak secured to the wall and where the carrying handle was on the top used modified eye bolts through a framing member!!  A bit overkill but it ain't goin nowhere.  Bedroom is to small to take photo.

The main salon TV is custom made but similar to a store bought mount, 4 tiny little metric screws hold it in place. The TV folds up so is laying flat for travel. The frame work is angle iorn welded or bolted to frame work of the bus.     HTH   Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

cody

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 06:00:36 AM »

Jim, thats a great mount but you may want to look up, you've got a tree coming at you lol.
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 06:26:51 AM »

Hey Nick, do you care to post which flat panels you didn't have any luck with!  I actually went to wal mart to look at them, i lucked into the electronics head......he talked my leg off about which ones were tough and why!  He never said one thing good about plasma.....other than he had a pallet load to go back to the manufacturer.  He said the plasma's were so fragile they broke two mounting them for display!   He walked over to Samsung...........and slapped the crap out of it several times.............to make a point on how it could take some abuse and survive!  I was impressed but I didn't buy a samsung, i bought a 32" Sony......I guess like everyone else "I'll" find out on my own!.........Cody in the manual, it actually showed a application for trailers and RV's with a slash through the image!  I'm pretty hard headed but I did take notice!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 06:54:28 AM »

We have 2 flat screen LCD TVs in our coach. Both were installed in openings that formerly held CRT TVs. We used the standard fixed mounts that only allow a few degrees of side to side and up & down movement. About 18 months and no problems so far (knocking on wood as I am typing).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 06:56:35 AM »

Not the first time a tree jumped in front of me  Grin 

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 07:03:29 AM »

Hey Nick, do you care to post which flat panels you didn't have any luck with!  I actually went to wal mart to look at them, i lucked into the electronics head......he talked my leg off about which ones were tough and why!  He never said one thing good about plasma.....other than he had a pallet load to go back to the manufacturer.  He said the plasma's were so fragile they broke two mounting them for display!   He walked over to Samsung...........and slapped the crap out of it several times.............to make a point on how it could take some abuse and survive!  I was impressed but I didn't buy a samsung, i bought a 32" Sony......I guess like everyone else "I'll" find out on my own!.........Cody in the manual, it actually showed a application for trailers and RV's with a slash through the image!  I'm pretty hard headed but I did take notice!

I Pat,

I now have all LCD HD Sony Vio's in the bus. The trouble one's were Magnvox LCD HD's and Panasonic Plazma.

Jim,
Are you watching Disney Channel?

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
cody

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:19:16 AM »

Nick I think he's watching, "the little mermaid", I never thought he was that way lmao.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 07:31:23 AM »

I t5hought that he was watching Sponge Bob.  Actually I think Josephine was watching TV when Jim took the photo.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Blacksheep

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 07:40:20 AM »

We don't have or need a very large flat screen but the 17 inch we do have was a pain to keep mounted while travelling so we opted to mount it in a fireplace cabinet that dissapears and reapears at the push of a button. Buy yourself an actuator and do the same. No wires or cables to mess with and very secure while moving, not to mention it can deter it from ever being stolen IF ever broken into! 
Actuators run roughly 100 bucks and are 12 volt. Simple to make work and will probably do the same thing in our BR.

Ace
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 07:53:30 AM »

Ace got any links for the actuators,thanks .Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
crown

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 07:56:17 AM »

hi jjrbus do you have any more pictures of how you made your tv mount
 how does it fold up what locks it in place ? thanks john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Blacksheep

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 08:04:43 AM »

Van I got mine from a dealer on Ebay! They use them a lot on custom cars where they open doors, hods, trunks etc.!

They have dealers for them outside Ebay but they are far more proud of them because they advertise them FOR TV applications!

If you have a really large TV you can find yourself an actuator from a security gate! It works the same way only larger!

The one I used has a 12 inch throw! It works very well and good enough for me!

Ace
Merlin-PV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »

I used a small bed slide mounted tv to it hung it from the ceiling tv retracts up into old destination sign area works well is solid and viewable when down "no kinks in the neck"!! 37"lcd
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 08:45:54 AM »

Paul the motorized lifts seem to to a better job of securing the TV I have had both and both types TV and most TVs on today's market require power all the time so check that feature also.My coach has a 32inch in the bedroom built in so far no trouble only the re progaming every time on air or has lost power to it,  and a projection in the living area with wide screen and that may be a option for you they are a neat setup just a pull down screen . 

on to Tampa
David

Hi David,

I was considering a projection set up too. My only concern had been the power consumption from both the projector bulb and now the stereo system. But the clean look is great!

To keep on topic, On my other bus I used a mounting bracket from wallmart. It was very well built - I used thread lock and did not have any problems with it for years.

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »

First off, Thanks for the replies! Wink

I do appreciate the experience from those who have had a mount fail! Roll Eyes Sorry Nick! Wink

I will use through bolts and stiffen up the area that will support the unit. Screws were never in the plans.

Various factors have made me decide how to mount it. I would rather have it secured and unmovable, but that is not an option.

I do like Ace's idea but don't have the room for a fireplace or floor cabinet to do that....Nice idea though....

The TV will be secured by a strap when in motion, then pivoted for viewing.

Isn't anything simple anymore?Huh??  Grin

I'm going to Wally's world later today and take a look at theirs. Their website shows several different types, I choose to stick with a well known brand, don't trust anything else. Besides if something fails then I can deal with any WM around the country.

Have a great day!

Paul

PS. Plasma was never an option, heard LCD is the way to go a long time ago.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 11:32:02 AM »

Paul, along wit Van's comments. We use 12v actuators on Vemeer balers to operate string ties. They have a slip clutch to prevent over travel either way. Try to look at some at Abilene Machine. MIght just work as they very seldom fail.  Their service manager used to be john Huh?, real nice guy,but he is a scooter nut.
  Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »

Similar to someone else's comment, I also found that actuators sold specifically for TV use were premium priced compared to the same device sold for other purposes. The linear actuator I bought was sold for use on motorized satellite dishes, yet I saw the same model sold for TVs at twice the price.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that you should never store a flat screen TV in a horizontal position (ie. folding down from the ceiling etc) as they are are not designed to be able to withstand that. I don't know if this is really true, but I can easily imagine that there are nasty stresses on the large glass screen/lcd panel if it is held (and shaken about) horizontally rather than vertically. My own screen will be comparatively small in size (don't see the point of a huge TV in a bus) and will 'pop up' from a cabinet on one side of the bus, very similar to Ace's. I've always been a bit surprised by the number of people who have their TVs mounted high up and facing the middle of the bus when the seats are low down and facing the side.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 06:02:19 PM »

I neglected to take pictures during construction! Any pictures I now take will not show any detail.

Sorry Jim

Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 05:04:53 AM »

Jim,
Are you watching Disney Channel?
Nick-   

That is Jim...looking in the mirror!...LOL

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 06:55:40 AM »

Just a couple of comments for folks starting to look at linear actuators. These are really cool devices, and add a nice custom touch to your conversion, but pay close attention to the product specs.  It is very easy to look at the operating voltage, weight rating, and travel distance and settle in on a model you think is suitable.  An often overlooked detail is the travel speed of the unit. Many eBay listings don't even mention this spec.

Some of these units are geared very low to increase the lifting power.  Consequently, the total time it takes to go from the "home" position to the extended position can frequently be 30-60 seconds. That doesn't seem like a big deal until you actually see the thing operate. Take a look at the sweep second hand on your watch and imagine yourself hitting the button to operate the actuator. Keep watching for 40 seconds, while asking yourself if that delay is acceptable. Long isn't it?

Most people would want the extension time to be under 10 seconds. On new commercial jets, the small screens hanging over the seats lower in about 3 seconds.

To overcome the speed situation, it is often helpful to use a shorter actuator, and design the mechanical movement to compensate. Let's say you want to move the screen 18 inches of total travel.  Instead of buying an actuator with 18 inches of travel, you may be better off with a 3 inch model.  The idea is to build leverage into the screen movement assembly so that each inch of actuator movement equals six inches of screen travel.   (This usually means the actuator also has to be rated to handle 6 times the screen weight, too.)   The mounting mechanicals can be more complex, but the operating speed will be more satisfactory, and the actuator may be less expensive.

So pay attention to the travel speed when selecting the actuator, and consider selecting a shorter one with an appropriate ratio for the actuator to screen travel.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:08:12 AM by WEC4104 » Logged

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: