Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 02:49:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing with your bus  (Read 1151 times)
skihor

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2006, 06:54:16 AM »

With all that has been said about towing with a bus I'm a little scared now. I've got a '67 MCI 5A. The hitch is mounted to the engine cradle, as I'm sure most are. I'll be towing a 6' X 12' single axle enclosed trailer. The total gross is around 2500 #. The tongue weight will be around 250 #. My question is: Am I about to create a problem??

Don & Sheila
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:23:06 AM »

In a word, no. I don't believe that the MCI's had an engine cradle in the sense that GM's and any other bus with V drives had.  The engine in the MCI can be slid out for overhauling, but the frame for the engine is a permanent frame for the engine.  This is what I've observed-MCI owners-is this right?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:24:54 AM »

To clarify a couple of terms: A MC-5 engine sits in a removable cradle. The cradle is then held to a sub frame with four U bolts. The sub frame is fastened to the rear bulkhead.. You want your hitch attached to the sub frame in such a way that it can be easily removed so that the the engine cradle can slide out with the engine.

I would expect no problem pulling a 2500 pound trailer but check your local laws on towing requirements. Some jurisdictions require brakes on all trailers over 1500 pounds.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 02:55:47 PM »

As for towing with an MC5A, I have no problem towing a 2005 Scion (4 down and 2300#...no brakes)) with mine.  Now, being the the hitch is bolted to the end of the engine cradle (frame) I couldn't honestly speak from experience about 200# of tongue weight.

But, I am going over tomorrow to the shop where my bus is now and will talk to the owner of the shop about this. He works on all makes of buses and should know what can and cannot be done...safetly.  I will broach your question to him and, based on his wide experience with many different buses and owners, and pass on the best info I can find.

Best I can do at this time.......

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: