Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 12:30:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding Tank Open or Closed?  (Read 3345 times)
johns4104s

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:48:20 AM »

We are living full time in the MCI 9. Our holding tank is set up where both the Black and grey are mixed in a 125 gallon tank(the fresh water is 100 Gallon Tank). Do we leave the tank open and draining all the time? Or do we let the tank fill up,mix then dump say every three days or so?

Thanks

John
cody

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »

We let ours fill and then dump, that way we don't get the little mountain forming, our kitchen sink also goes into the black tank so we have a supply of fluid to mix it with.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:53:13 AM »

You will get a better "flush", depending on how many are liveing in the coach, by dumping every week or so.  A 100 Gal. tank will take a while.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:53:56 AM »

Any black waste should be saved until a quantity is in the tank mixed with fluids.  If the tank is left open, the black waste will not have enough fluids to mix and flow out.  Eventually the black waste will solidify and grow to clog the system.

I would store a gray and black combined tank until a sufficient quantity is achieved to aloow free flow of all waste and clean the tank.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:59:37 AM »

Although we are not full-timing, we never drain our combination black/grey tank until it is at least 1/2 full. This insures enough liquid to flush all the solids out of the tank.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:35:18 AM »

Also depends on what the temperature is and whether you have heating for the tanks and/or the drain line.

Batch dumping is the preferred method.

redbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:41:08 AM »

I have a black/gray combination tank with a gray water bypass.When in a Park the shower and Bathroom sink goes directly to sewer,the Kitchen sink goes into the black tank with the stool for more water in it.I flush the black tank 1 time a week on average. Do not leave black tank open as the liquid will run out leaving the solids to mound up.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:39:47 AM »

We have a 100 gallon combo tank with a gray water bypass.  In the past, I let the gray drain and dumped the black when necessary.  Lately, I have been letting it all go to the tank and dumping it all every couple of days.  It just takes walking by and pulling the valve and coming back five minutes later to close it.  I'll probably continue to do it this way for now.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »

We have a 100 gallon combo tank with a gray water bypass.  In the past, I let the gray drain and dumped the black when necessary.  Lately, I have been letting it all go to the tank and dumping it all every couple of days.  It just takes walking by and pulling the valve and coming back five minutes later to close it.  I'll probably continue to do it this way for now.

I just completely re engineered my system and opted for a combo tank. I have no problems letting my sink water drain under the bus through bypass while driving. I also feel that the extra fluid in the black tank while parked is a good thing... The batch dump makes the most sense to me.

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 08:59:02 AM »

It might be a good time to consider a remote drain valve operator of some kind for those cold, rainy days when the tank is full.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06:41 AM »

Len,

Do you use one?  If so, do you use air or electric?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 09:13:09 AM »

Len,

A friend made one using a Morse cable.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »

Len,

It just happened that I was able to use a 1/4" rod straight up from the valve to the bathroom floor right behind the commode.  Just luck and the junk I had laying around.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 11:05:25 AM »

What do you guys use for Tank odor/solid break up?? Do you use this everytime??My 125 gallon is a black/Grey mixture.

Thanks

John
LegalEagle82

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 03:08:54 PM »

I have an air controlled valve on my tank.   The bus is an old entertainer, I have a switch wired in at my 12 volt control box above the driver that controls an air operated valve on my black/gray water tank.   Remote dumping is nice.  I've always been told that the entertainer buses had the dump on the passenger side of the bus because the bus could roll up to a water run off drain in town and dump if they had to.  Not legal or anything, but it is very easily done with this setup.  Once it was converted to a motorhome, a seperate gray water tank was added that can pump into the black tank if needed to help flush or it has its own drain also.

Legal Eagle
Nash Vegas, TN

Living and Learning....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: