Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 11:03:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update from Doug with the PD4106  (Read 39549 times)
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2009, 08:42:02 AM »

I'm in, what the heck, I was just going to buy beer with it anyway. Good luck

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2009, 08:49:48 AM »

Paypal works but we would much rather you get to stop by so we could meet you.   Grin

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2009, 09:04:15 AM »

You all are awesome!  No idea how I can repay any of you for your generosity, but my prayer is that someday I can help a fellow bus nut just like you all are helping me.

Dallas and Bob of the North,

I talked with the storage unit owner (a hell of a nice guy I might add) and his son goes to NM State and comes in and works for Dad on Fridays.  He said his son will take the sample gladly for me on Friday.  He also said he has a friend that is a trucker and that he thinks his friend has the stuff to get a sample.  He is going to call me on Friday and get the specifics on what I need.  Here is my questions.

1.)  Where do we pull the sample from?

2.)  2oz of oil is enough, right?

3.)  Anything I/they should know about the sample (other than a clean bottle and try not to contaminate the sample)?

4.)  Where do we send it and how does it need to be packaged?

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
VanTare

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »

Doug stop by the CAT dealer and  get you a sample bottle and they will have the results in 24 hr I use their service it is tough to beat   

David
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2009, 09:17:32 AM »

Dallas, check on Southwest Airlines between Austin and El Paso.  One way fare around $200 (they don't show the taxes/fees, that add on top of the $180 airfare).  Southwest has both nonstops and connections at Dallas Love Field.  American is another option; with connections at DFW (as much as I'm there, I may run into you).  American's pricing is competitive with Southwest, where both airlines compete.

Transporting tools may be a problem, (you may want to ship them).  Depending on where the 4106 is, you could use Sun Metro (city buses) from the airport, shared ride van, or cab.

A ride across Texas takes many hours (Dallas to El Paso is around 10 hours driving, 1.5 hours flying).  Unless someone is already going that way, they'd have a round trip, fuel, lodging, etc. could well exceed the one-way airfare.

Amtrak from San Antonio to El Paso (Sunset Limited route) may also be an option.  

I'll be in California next week, probably home in Dallas for a week or so, then Indiana - so I won't have time to go out and serve as mechanic's helper., but if you decide to fly or take Amtrak, I'll chip in on the transportation costs.

If I remember right, Texas Border Dude (Doyle) is from El Paso - I haven't seen him post here for quite a while, but I think I've seen him on the other board in the last couple of months.  He may have some info.  Also, many years ago I did a safety review of Sunset Coaches - a small father and son charter outfit that did a good job.  If the same family still owns it, they may also be some help.  

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »

Doug stop by the CAT dealer and  get you a sample bottle and they will have the results in 24 hr I use their service it is tough to beat   

David

VanTare,

Do you have a name?  I called Wagner Equipment Co. in El Paso and they have the oil sample kits (bottle and paperwork) for $13.10 but they ship the sample out to Colorado and it takes a few days to get the results.  Is that the company you were talking about?

Doug

Edmund Burke

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »

How you pull the sample is a matter of what technology you have available Doug.  Like I said last night, the quick (and very dirty) way to do it is put an ice cream pail under the bung, pull the plug and then put it back in as quick as your oily fingers can get it back in.  I have a fancy syringe-type gadget with about 3 feet of 1/8" line that I feed down the diptube.  Then I screw my sample bottle into the bottom of the syringe and (in theory anyway) pull the sample without ever getting my dainty little fingers dirty.  You probably don't have one of those available.   Roll Eyes

When you are asking somebody a long ways away from you to do you a favour my inclination is to make it as easy as possible.  Aside from the fact that he is going to get dirty, my quick and dirty solution seems the easiest method.  Tell him to wear latex gloves - that will help a little bit.

As far as the choice of labs goes, a couple of days to Colorado doesn't sound like a deal breaker.  They will likely email you the results if you ask them to.  This whole rescue mission is going to take a few days to pull together so the oil test can be running simultaneously with some of the other preparatory steps.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2009, 09:47:07 AM »

Doug, Things seem to be coming together for you. I talked to the GM, owner he does not blame his engine failure on lack of coolant. At the time I thought he did, My bad. He did have problems getting coolant in it until he found a vent line or hose plugged with a bee. It was at the thermostat housing and went to the coolant tank. He also has overheating problems when pulling his race car. It was not a problem till he installed the 730 auto. These guys on this board will be far more help than anything I could type here.  Goodluck.  Tom Y  

Tom Yaegle
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »

How you pull the sample is a matter of what technology you have available Doug.  Like I said last night, the quick (and very dirty) way to do it is put an ice cream pail under the bung, pull the plug and then put it back in as quick as your oily fingers can get it back in.  I have a fancy syringe-type gadget with about 3 feet of 1/8" line that I feed down the diptube.  Then I screw my sample bottle into the bottom of the syringe and (in theory anyway) pull the sample without ever getting my dainty little fingers dirty.  You probably don't have one of those available.   Roll Eyes

When you are asking somebody a long ways away from you to do you a favour my inclination is to make it as easy as possible.  Aside from the fact that he is going to get dirty, my quick and dirty solution seems the easiest method.  Tell him to wear latex gloves - that will help a little bit.

As far as the choice of labs goes, a couple of days to Colorado doesn't sound like a deal breaker.  They will likely email you the results if you ask them to.  This whole rescue mission is going to take a few days to pull together so the oil test can be running simultaneously with some of the other preparatory steps.

Agreed.  I will wait to see if the owner of the lot has a friend (the trucker) who has a vampire gun.  If not, we will do it the messy way.  Thanks for your input.

Edmund Burke

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »

Doug, Things seem to be coming together for you. I talked to the GM, owner he does not blame his engine failure on lack of coolant. At the time I thought he did, My bad. He did have problems getting coolant in it until he found a vent line or hose plugged with a bee. It was at the thermostat housing and went to the coolant tank. He also has overheating problems when pulling his race car. It was not a problem till he installed the 730 auto. These guys on this board will be far more help than anything I could type here.  Goodluck.  Tom Y  

Thanks for tracking that info down Tom.  It sounds to me like the MacGyver setup that I have needs someone who knows something about cooling to actually fix it.  Dallas was talking last night about hoses routed wrong, etc. so who knows what other *fun* stuff this old gal has had done to her.  The oil sample will be the telltale indicator of what we are looking at for repairs it seems.

Doug

Edmund Burke

Old4103

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »

Doug there is also a 1/4" plug on the oil filter, (IF it's the cartridge type), that you use to drain th oil from the filter with when changing oil. It may have been changed to a petcock or may even have been stripped out.

If you have a remote spin on fuel bypass filter, there should be a plug on top of the housing just for the purpose of pulling a sample.

Dallas
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2009, 10:23:09 AM »

Doug there is also a 1/4" plug on the oil filter, (IF it's the cartridge type), that you use to drain th oil from the filter with when changing oil. It may have been changed to a petcock or may even have been stripped out.

If you have a remote spin on fuel bypass filter, there should be a plug on top of the housing just for the purpose of pulling a sample.

Dallas

Ok, once I get Bruce (the storage owner) and his son at the bus with the bottle I will walk them through getting a sample.

Edmund Burke

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2009, 10:56:16 AM »

Doug -

Just got off the phone with a fellow busnut here in CA that recently scrapped out a 4106.

He thinks he still has the OEM cooling fan and radiator fan shroud, was going to take a look in his shop later today.

Will keep you posted. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »

That is great news.  Thanks RJ.

Edmund Burke

busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »

Feeling any better Doug?? Time has a way, hang in there.

Have Fun!!
Grant
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: