Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 01:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update from Doug with the PD4106  (Read 40091 times)
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2009, 11:48:17 AM »

Caution...whatever you do, be sure the oil sample is not from settling internal around the drain plug' sump but after a pint or more drain before take sample.
Caution...all sample bottle are sterilized to eliminate false report.

Bottom-line is that the oil sample contains no settlement and free from human (fingers) touch or any unwanted contaminant to avoid false from the lab report.

Otherwise...you will waste your time and money.

Please read the link;
The First Step Toward Better Oil Analysis -- Taking a Proper Sample

I would suggest getting a large drain pan under oil pan with enough clearance to get a bottle in to capture uncontaminated sample. The re-plug & tighten. You may have to jack up with blocks for safety. Remember to let it drain about a pint or more before taking sample.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »

Feeling any better Doug?? Time has a way, hang in there.

Yes, my spirits are high today even though we had another "personal" thing happen to us (not related to the bus) that was not what we needed, but I am not going there.  Like Van advised, Satan is not going to be allowed to steal our thunder.  It is incredibly refreshing to see so many folks who don't even know us rally to our aid and support.  I too, like Dallas, am renewed from the showering of support.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »

As I was, and still am!

Have Fun!!
Grant
VanTare

« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »

Doug I use Holt Equipment in San Antiono they have their own lab but 2 days is not bad 

David
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »

Caution...whatever you do, be sure the oil sample is not from settling internal around the drain plug' sump but after a pint or more drain before take sample.
Caution...all sample bottle are sterilized to eliminate false report.

Bottom-line is that the oil sample contains no settlement and free from human (fingers) touch or any unwanted contaminant to avoid false from the lab report.

Otherwise...you will waste your time and money.

Please read the link;
The First Step Toward Better Oil Analysis -- Taking a Proper Sample

I would suggest getting a large drain pan under oil pan with enough clearance to get a bottle in to capture uncontaminated sample. The re-plug & tighten. You may have to jack up with blocks for safety. Remember to let it drain about a pint or more before taking sample.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

I spoke with Wagner Equipment Co. in El Paso and they sell a vampire gun (oil analysis vacuum gun) for about $24.00.  The oil analysis kit is $13.10 and comes with the bottle made for this pump and about 3-4ft of silicone tubing so we are good to go.  I will buy the gun and kit and the storage owner's son can take a sample without getting dirty.  I will then just have Bruce put the gun on the bus and I will have one for future use.  No muss, no fuss.  The $13.10 includes the analysis and Carlos at Wagner said it takes about two days to get the results (via snail mail or email).

Edmund Burke

Dallas

« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »

A bunch of us will be in the Chatroom tonight to cus and discuss How she wiggles when she walks and stuff like that, and how Fassst them Buses will go!

Oh, and we'll probably mention Doug's bus now and then.

Come on in and join us

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/chat/flashchat.php

Dallas
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2009, 06:42:33 PM »

Doug, I vote for the drain method.  Your engine has set for a while and the water might separate from the oil a bit.  If you pull the plug and water runs out, you will know you have a problem.  If you pull the plug, and oil runs out right away, you probably don't have a major problem (at least from water/oil standpoint)

As others have mentioned, be sure to get a clean sample, letting the oil flow a bit before you draw the sample.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
í85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »

Doug, I vote for the drain method.  Your engine has set for a while and the water might separate from the oil a bit.  If you pull the plug and water runs out, you will know you have a problem.  If you pull the plug, and oil runs out right away, you probably don't have a major problem (at least from water/oil standpoint)

As others have mentioned, be sure to get a clean sample, letting the oil flow a bit before you draw the sample.

Jim

Jim,

I am going to have a non-bus helper pull a sample with a vampire gun since that was the easiest way I could think of to get 'er done.  I will just make sure he puts the hose in as far as he can before he pulls the sample.

Doug

Edmund Burke

zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2009, 06:54:41 AM »

this goes way back to the beginning of the thread but I thought  I would mention it.  On a 6-71 there is apparently a vent that can be opened on the top of the thermostat, this is done when refilling the cooling system.  I came across this last night while studying up on my engine.  Someone here hopefully can confirm that 8V71s have this as well?  Also, I have a pdf of the maintenace manual for coach and engine of my 4104 which I had printed for ease of reference. I'm pretty sure I would be lost without it.  If you do decide to keep this bus, try to get hold of the  books for your bus.  Zimtok was the original scanner for my books (thanks again Zimtok) but that was a labour of love as he has a 4104.  Maybe someone here has the 8V71 book scanned?    I have always used factory manuals to help me stay on top of my old vehicles, they don't show everything but they help, and also can be used as reference points on these long complicated threads.

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »

this goes way back to the beginning of the thread but I thought  I would mention it.  On a 6-71 there is apparently a vent that can be opened on the top of the thermostat, this is done when refilling the cooling system.  I came across this last night while studying up on my engine.  Someone here hopefully can confirm that 8V71s have this as well?  Also, I have a pdf of the maintenace manual for coach and engine of my 4104 which I had printed for ease of reference. I'm pretty sure I would be lost without it.  If you do decide to keep this bus, try to get hold of the  books for your bus.  Zimtok was the original scanner for my books (thanks again Zimtok) but that was a labour of love as he has a 4104.  Maybe someone here has the 8V71 book scanned?    I have always used factory manuals to help me stay on top of my old vehicles, they don't show everything but they help, and also can be used as reference points on these long complicated threads.

Zub,

I have the maintenance manual, parts manual  and operators manuals (for the OEM bus it appears) for the PD4106.  I found them on the bus and they are in CD format.  I have poured over them and most of what I have read made sense, but some of the info just didn't seem to jive with my ride.  I would be happy to share this if anyone wants it, although it is one big PDF (148MB) so I would have to setup an FTP site for you and give you access (which I would be happy to do, just ask).

Doug

Edmund Burke

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2009, 07:07:27 AM »

I would think that an air lock on an 8V71 in a 4106 would occur in the top (towards the builkhead) cylinder head. As the engine was filled with water, it would push the air up into this cylinder head. Is there a petcock somewhere on this cylinder head or thermostat housing?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Old4103

« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2009, 07:19:25 AM »

I would think that an air lock on an 8V71 in a 4106 would occur in the top (towards the builkhead) cylinder head. As the engine was filled with water, it would push the air up into this cylinder head. Is there a petcock somewhere on this cylinder head or thermostat housing?  Jack

Yes on most of the 8V's in GMC's, there is suppose to be a petcock to expel the air on top of the thermostat housing. Sometimes I've found it on the back of the surge tank, where a line goes from the top of the thermostat to the upper back side of the tank.
Unfortunately, I had Doug look for one in both places, and it's been removed. I then had him remove the line from the top of the housing and he reported that only coolant came out... no bubbles.
This now makes sense after looking at the photo's he sent me. The upper radiator hose is suppose to go from the thermostat housing to the top of the radiator... if you look in the pictures I posted on here... it's actually drooping like it's headed south.
I'd like to know where the upper hose from the radiator is routed.

Oh, and Doug, Yes, I'd like a copy of your CD manual. Very Much, Please Please Please Please!

Dallas
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »

Doug,

I would be interested in a digital copy of the manuals. I am posting a photo of the 8v71 bleeder on a 4106. There are also bleeders at the primary heater core in the side compartment, and the defrost heater core under the dash.

Barn Owl

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2009, 07:25:43 AM »

Hi Doug is there not also a engine manual?  You didn't mention it in your list of manuals.  The engine manual is very detailed, and while it doesn't cover all aspects of the engine (some of which are covered by the coach manual) it definitely covers some things that the coach manual lacks.  I have a separate pdf of a manual that covers the 4-71 and 6-71 in all it's road applications truck, transit and coach and this is the one that covers the cooling fan hub and other specifics of the cooling system not mentioned in the coach manual.  Out of curiosity is this the case with your manuals?

zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2009, 07:33:24 AM »

talking through my hat here but looking at the pics from Doug and Barn Owl, Doug's looks like one of those emergency rad hoses with the internal spring so they don't collapse when they are bent.  They create a lot more resistance than the one in Barn Owl's.  Also while there is no pet cock on Doug's thermo housing there is the small coolant line where it should be, but as Dallas had you crack that one?Huh  weird how the coolant line heads south like that.   Where is a bus nut when you need one??  Probably the El Paso ones are wintering  in Guanajuato.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:39:30 AM by zubzub » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: