Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 08:13:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update from Doug with the PD4106  (Read 37558 times)
Freedom Rider
Freedom Rider

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »

Doug,

You have the right attitude regarding your bus. I hope that everything else works out for you and your family. I know you were really counting on this bus to provide primary housing for you guys. These have been tough economic times for a lot of people and I will pray for your family's well being.

Freedom Rider
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »

Doug,

You have the right attitude regarding your bus. I hope that everything else works out for you and your family. I know you were really counting on this bus to provide primary housing for you guys. These have been tough economic times for a lot of people and I will pray for your family's well being.

Thank you.  I don't feel like I have the right attitude (actually kind of angry at the PO over this whole thing, but what can you do), but maybe in time I will.  For now, I don't have any choice but to leave it in El Paso and try to get it fixed once I get back on track. 

If anyone knows a whale boat owner, I may have a 20,000 LB anchor I would let go cheap.   Roll Eyes

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:41 AM »

this link
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/rvs/1033996028.html
shows that with patience an inexpensive  possibly good donor engine is out there somewhere.  Also everything I have read says that these old DD are pretty tough.  Maybe you change the oil, fix the fan hub re tork the head and it gives you another 100,000.   But that's a gamble....but so is a 40 yr old bus.  Anyhow the link was to show that with time a good donor engine will show up, if I was stuck on the side of the road broke I would fix what I had and keep going, if you can save for a good engine you will really enjoy the feeling of going down the road with a known good mill.  I've got a '68 volvo wagon I rebuilt and that rig would take me to china, with a few oil changes.

cody

« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »

Doug, sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the moment, you are far better now than you were just a week ago, now you have some hard evidence to base a decsion on.  Only you know what you want.  What I'd do if it were my thing is to step back and let the dust settle then tackle it with the sun out lol.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2009, 10:34:26 AM »

Doug

On my first trip with my first bus. a4104 with 6/71.
 Started to Daytona Fl. for bike weekabout 100 miles out started to get hot,stoped every 100 or so miles and filled it up with water. Got to the campground and checked the oil. pulled the stick out and water ran out.

Drained the oil and it came out like gray glue.  refilled it with fresh 40 weight and drove it back to north carolina,filling it up with water every 100 or so miles.

After i got it home pulled the head off and replaced is also pulled the pan and replaced the bearings.

It is still running good.that was about 10 years ago.  handed it down to my son, and bought another with a 6v92 and v730 already transplanted into it.

uncle ned

ps it had heating problems also and got two new heads and liners,pistons and bearings, but it came home, half way running from penn.

those old detroits are tough just watch the heat guage

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »

That's what I mean by tough....

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2009, 12:23:21 PM »

All good suggestions.  It may come down to what I can afford and how long I can just let it sit in storage.  I agree that the bottom line is that the *original* cooling system all has to go back on or the bus is never going anywhere.  That and get the right oil in the engine and the right amount of coolant back in and she might actually be usable until I could afford a new engine or the right fix (heads, gaskets, etc.).  That is a glimmer of hope, so thanks for that suggestion.

Edmund Burke

Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »

Doug, Have you looked at the BNO site? There is a GM motor and trans for 1800.00 on there. I know this may not be an option for you, but just another idea.  Tom Y 

Tom Yaegle
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »

Doug, Have you looked at the BNO site? There is a GM motor and trans for 1800.00 on there. I know this may not be an option for you, but just another idea.  Tom Y 

Tom, thanks for the suggestion.  I haven't seen that.  A new engine sounds great, but it isn't going to be possible right now.  I am tapped out.  I am sure it will all work itself out in the end.  For now, I am just keeping my chin up (or trying to I should say) and trusting God has a plan through all of this.  He promised us he won't give us more than we can handle.  So far, so good on that promise.

Doug

Edmund Burke

Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »

Tom, thanks for the suggestion.  I haven't seen that.  A new engine sounds great, but it isn't going to be possible right now.  I am tapped out.  I am sure it will all work itself out in the end.  For now, I am just keeping my chin up (or trying to I should say) and trusting God has a plan through all of this.  He promised us he won't give us more than we can handle.  So far, so good on that promise.

Doug

Amen! The good Lord is always in control! We do not know what the tomorrow to behold.

This poem offers a good perspective for us to keep in mind on these matters:

I may never see tomorrow, there's no written guarantee,
and things that happened yesterday belong to history.
I can't predict the future, I can't change the past,
I have just the present moments to treat as if they were my last.
I must use this moment wisely, for soon it will pass away,
And be lost forever as a part of yesterday.
I may not have another chance on bended knees to pray,
And I thank God with a humble heart for giving me this day.

~~Author unknown~~
Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

BTW...I learn later from your posts that is had modified cooling fan set-up. No wonder.

The good Lord will find you whatever you need to be rolling again...we just need to wait on Him and one day at a time in whatever we do.
You will glad you did.
I know there an runable DD engine somewhere near by or whatever. It work for me everytime, if I just wait on Him.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:49:41 AM by Sojourner » Logged

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2009, 09:42:34 AM »

Its time for some serious soul searching but don't get dragged deeper and deeper into a project that you ultimately can't afford.

Yep, you're right.  Like I told Dallas, I should have researched owning a bus more before I sunk all this money into it.  Live and learn.  Nothing I can do now but keep it in storage.  Thanks for the reminder about how expensive this little hobby of ours can be.

Just got down to reading this thread this morning... Once again another great showing from our family here. Just wanted to add my own opinion on the $$$ end of owning/converting a bus. When I first got the bug to move from a S&S to a bus, I was cautioned by many here that owning a bus was a big dollar adventure and that if I couldn't afford it, that I may want to rethink owning one. That is about the only advice I got here that I disregarded and I'm glad I did ( Ive direguarded other advice and was of course sorry..sucks being a hard head). We took out a loan, got a bus and haven't looked back. Myself, and as Ive learned others here, are on the pay as you go plan re: our bus ownership. If I blew my engine today out of town, Id be in the same situation that you are, however, the time spent starting my conversion and the great times we had last year in it with my family has been more than worth the money. Sounds like your in a better state of mind (a lot less stressed) now than you were in the beginning. I'm also a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. I was glad to read about how you eventually found the humor in pulling into a campground missing a tire.. When things get so bad here that I'm ready to pull my hair, its usually some sort of humor that starts us back on track..that and of course a lot of prayer. So I guess the gist of my post is that you are not the only one in the financial position your in that owns a bus. I just wish I had done it 20 years ago..

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »

Its time for some serious soul searching but don't get dragged deeper and deeper into a project that you ultimately can't afford.

Yep, you're right.  Like I told Dallas, I should have researched owning a bus more before I sunk all this money into it.  Live and learn.  Nothing I can do now but keep it in storage.  Thanks for the reminder about how expensive this little hobby of ours can be.

I just wish I had done it 20 years ago..

One of the exact reasons we did this now and not 20 years from now.  I want my children to remember this time of their lives and remember the adventures with the bus *positively*.  It makes me sick to think the fun was over before it began so I am holding out hope for......not exactly sure.  All I know is that I want to do the bus thing while the kids are young and not once they are all grown and gone.  I appreciate your insight and wisdom.  We had some *other* reasons for buying the bus as well, but can't go into that right now. 

Looks like we are on the same page except I don't like to finance anything (kind of a necessity but that is an even longer subject that I am not boring anyone here with).

God Bless,

Doug

Edmund Burke

REK

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »

Doug:

Admittedly, I am somewhat warped due to my upbringing and occupation but  .    .   .   It seems to me that 1) You have the bus; 2) You have an idea of what it will take to get it back on the road and 3) With the right perspective i.e. your trust in god, this whole experience (and the ones to come) will be fun and educational for your kids (and you, but every time I learn something new around my girls I say it is for them ! )

On another topic:  I wanted to thank you for the quote at the bottom of your postings (Insert Technical Term Here).  A couple of days ago my daughter asked me why my wife and I were writing our Congressmen when we both agreed that given their political persuasion, they were not going to look out for their constituents.  I used Edmund Burke’s quote to explain that we believe in doing what is right, regardless of the consequences.

Thank you,
Bus Not (Yet) but still trying to learn,
Rick
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2009, 08:35:58 AM »

Doug:

Admittedly, I am somewhat warped due to my upbringing and occupation but  .    .   .   It seems to me that 1) You have the bus; 2) You have an idea of what it will take to get it back on the road and 3) With the right perspective i.e. your trust in god, this whole experience (and the ones to come) will be fun and educational for your kids (and you, but every time I learn something new around my girls I say it is for them ! )

On another topic:  I wanted to thank you for the quote at the bottom of your postings (Insert Technical Term Here).  A couple of days ago my daughter asked me why my wife and I were writing our Congressmen when we both agreed that given their political persuasion, they were not going to look out for their constituents.  I used Edmund Burke’s quote to explain that we believe in doing what is right, regardless of the consequences.

Thank you,
Bus Not (Yet) but still trying to learn,
Rick

Rick,

Thank you for your insight.  Yep, we have the bus (sort of) and for now, I think we are just going to sit on this whole thing.  We have way more going on right now than the bus and although I wish we had it right now to use, we don't, so all we can do is trust that things will work out.  As for my quote, the lack of good men doing the right thing is exactly why this world is so screwed up.  So as long as good men do nothing (or the wrong thing which is just as bad), evil will triumph.  You keep doing what you know is right.  If more people would do that, we just might turn this ship onto the right tack.

God Bless,

Doug

Edmund Burke

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »

Updated Oil Sample with corrected engine type.  Wagner Equipment caught it and sent it to me.

Edmund Burke

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: