Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 06:12:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update from Doug with the PD4106  (Read 35119 times)
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2009, 03:28:01 PM »

Don't want to make light of the fact you lost a tire, could have been very bad. However I did laugh a bit when I read this, only because it reminds me of predicaments I seem to get myself into. Kind of a selffish bugger I am huh?, haha , taking comfort that someone else has bad days too! Well that's all over now, thank goodness I'm sure.

LOL, yes I can definitely laugh about it now.  We must have been quite the sight to those poor RV park folks as we limped in to that park missing a whole tire and rim on our trailer.  It really puts a smile on face now looking back at it.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2009, 06:12:31 PM »

Doug,

I had no idea that you lost a tire and rim! The Lord sure blessed you all! I know how "lost" one can feel when things like that start happening...

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

Doug,
Buy an air bleed and replace a pipe plug somewhere on the top of your engine. Try to get it in the highest point possible and if you can't get it above both heads, put one in each side. These are standard twist type air bleeds, my compressor has one and also most airtanks. Suprised you don't already have one or more.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »

It'll be difficult to offer the proper technique to bleed the air out because we still have no real idea of what's missing as far the the heating and cooling systems.  But here goes...  When I installed a new radiator ($1500 btw, but it was also thicker than eom) and new thermostats, I jacked up the back of the bus about a foot, opened the shutoff valve in the hose from the antifreeze tank to the engine, turned on the circulator motor for the coach heater, ran the engine while topping off the antifreeze.  She took all but two or so gallons.  After driving it around, I would top off the coolant.

Doug, did you take any pictures of the buses systems?  Can you post any?  That will help.

Good luck!

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2009, 06:50:04 PM »

It'll be difficult to offer the proper technique to bleed the air out because we still have no real idea of what's missing as far the the heating and cooling systems.  But here goes...  When I installed a new radiator ($1500 btw, but it was also thicker than eom) and new thermostats, I jacked up the back of the bus about a foot, opened the shutoff valve in the hose from the antifreeze tank to the engine, turned on the circulator motor for the coach heater, ran the engine while topping off the antifreeze.  She took all but two or so gallons.  After driving it around, I would top off the coolant.

Doug, did you take any pictures of the buses systems?  Can you post any?  That will help.

Good luck!

I can send you the pictures I have, just ask.

Edmund Burke

John316

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »

Okay Doug, I will ask Grin Grin Grin. You can post them here. Just resize and post as an attachment. When creating a post you will see an "additional options" under the left corner of the text box. Just include attachments, and post your pics Grin Grin Grin.

God bless,

John

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »

I remember back in the old days....(Yeah way back then!) whenever we replaced a thermostat or rebuilt an engine that we always drilled a small hole in the thermostat to eliminate any such airlock. Since those glorious days all thermostats I have seen have a built in bypass that allows entraped air past and thus eliminates the airlocks that happened back then. Eventually the block will heat up enough to open a thermostat even if an airlock is causing the problem. I would check off that as a problem. By all means I am not an expert but would lean more on the fact that the electric fans really suck (so to speak).  If there is a problem with the thermostats it could basically only be one of the two that is stuck also. Obviously checking the oil for water contamination would be my first check now, replacing both thermostats and making sure the water pump is circulating the coolant and crossing my fingers that the ole girl doesn't blow any white smoke. Take that offer for any original fan setup, send the keys to Dallas and remember the term "KISS". It always seems to be something simple. Oh and by the way. I have never in my life seen a forum that is so filled with incredible generous folks as this one is. Maybe becoming a busnut really isn't just about the busses! God has some strange paths he sends us on!!! Smiley

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »

I have never in my life seen a forum that is so filled with incredible generous folks as this one is. Maybe becoming a busnut really isn't just about the busses! God has some strange paths he sends us on!!! Smiley

My thoughts exactly!  When I first came to the forum I expected it to be just another enthusiast group where I could find information about bus conversions.  What I found was an extended family.  The magnitude of caring and help here is beyond anything I've ever seen elsewhere.
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2009, 08:02:09 PM »

Oh and by the way. I have never in my life seen a forum that is so filled with incredible generous folks as this one is. Maybe becoming a busnut really isn't just about the busses! God has some strange paths he sends us on!!! Smiley

Amen to that Brother. My sentiments exactly and imagine my surprise to find not just enthusiasts but an immediate extended family who have already treated me better than any family I have known.  Very humbling.

Edmund Burke

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »

I have never in my life seen a forum that is so filled with incredible generous folks as this one is. Maybe becoming a busnut really isn't just about the busses! God has some strange paths he sends us on!!! Smiley

My thoughts exactly!  When I first came to the forum I expected it to be just another enthusiast group where I could find information about bus conversions.  What I found was an extended family.  The magnitude of caring and help here is beyond anything I've ever seen elsewhere.

I have never seen this kind of community before either online or off.  I feel very privileged to have stumbled upon this happy little world.  I can't wait to meet folks and put faces with names.  The good folks here have saved me from sure doom and gloom by opening up the way they have and helping me like I was their best friend.  Simply amazing.

Edmund Burke

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »

I had my wife read this thread last night. Big Doug in Oregon has a problem and has just joined this board and look at the help he has received. This has renewed my faith that there are good people out there. I see this in the flying comunity and now seeing in the bus comunity. Looks like a few people with similar intrest will treat each other right. Life is to short and we need to help each other out. Praise for all of you. Big Doug I live in Wells NV when you get that thing moving north you can park in the drive way for a few days.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2009, 10:44:07 PM »

An important aspect of this hobby is helping each other. Unless you are very well off, it would much more difficult to operated a bus without having the support that is found here and on BNO. In the back of our minds, I think we all know that could easily be one of us stranded out there in the middle of nowhere, at the mercy of some jack leg repair shop. It is hard to find better folks than can be found here.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:46:50 AM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
cody

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2009, 05:18:45 AM »

It's a disease.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2009, 05:57:39 AM »

With no known cure!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2009, 06:05:49 AM »

And it gets worse, if you don't have one Grin Wink, or are separated from yours. That is probably Doug's problem, he is suffering from withdrawal (which doesn't get better with time Grin).

God bless,

John

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: