Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 07:00:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Buy On Goodyear or Firestone Tires?  (Read 3284 times)
Blacksheep

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »

Hey JR if you would have come down to Arcadia, you would have seen a great deal on 2 almost new Michelin XZX 315's mounted on polished Alcoa's for $500.00 but since you weren't there, I went ahead and bought them! LOL
Ace
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »

Belfert,

We run 120 all the way around. I know I might get in trouble for this from some guys here ( Grin Cheesy Grin), but I do that because we are pretty heavily loaded, and because I don't want blow outs.

YMMV

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »

Belfert & John- Have your bus axle weighed and I can look up your tire pressure if you'd like.  For instance, I have 11R-24.5 16ply Michelin XZE's all around that are rated at 7,200lb @ 120psi for the front and 6,600lb @ 110psi for the rear (per tire).  But since I only have 10,500lb on the front axle and 20,500lb on the rear axle, I run 90psi all around.  Nice riding.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 12:24:19 PM »

Belfert & John- Have your bus axle weighed and I can look up your tire pressure if you'd like.  For instance, I have 11R-24.5 16ply Michelin XZE's all around that are rated at 7,200lb @ 120psi for the front and 6,600lb @ 110psi for the rear (per tire).  But since I only have 10,500lb on the front axle and 20,500lb on the rear axle, I run 90psi all around.  Nice riding.  Good Luck, TomC

I did have each tire weighed.  The 75 PSI is based on the Firestone weight/PSI table.  75 PSI just seems really low to me.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 11:55:19 PM »

I did have each tire weighed.  The 75 PSI is based on the Firestone weight/PSI table.  75 PSI just seems really low to me.

Brian -

When you had the coach weighed, was it in "ready-to-roll" trim, or did you not have all your "stuff" inside?

If you feel that 75 psi is too low, adding 10-15 psi would probably not make a significant difference in the ride of the coach, but would certainly help relax those feelings you're experiencing.

We run 120 all the way around.  I know I might get in trouble for this from some guys here, but I do that because we are pretty heavily loaded, and because I don't want blow outs.

John -

You say that you're pretty heavily loaded. . . have you run your coach across the scales to see how heavy the bus actually is?  Until you do, you really don't know if your tires are inflated properly, and, in fact, you might actually be INCREASING the wear on your tires by running over-inflated - blow-out protection or not.  As usual, do it your way. . .   Wink

JR -

Another tire possibility is either 11R22.5 or 11R24.5, especially if your coach is pretty light.  I saw quite a few coaches down in Quartzsite three weeks ago with these sizes on them, including on several 40-footers.  Very, very common truck tire size, readily available nation-wide, and often less expensive than the 12Rs or 315s.

OTOH, 12R22.5 was the stock OEM tire on your MCI. . .

Remember, too, that changing tire sizes will have an effect on the overall accuracy of your speedometer & odometer, and some effect on fuel consumption.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 05:08:49 AM »

Posters often mention looking up tires on charts. What is a chart? where does one find a chart?

Here is one     http://www.firestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/home/index.asp

Click on load and PSI tables   I'm not recommending Firestone, I would not buy them. I am not going to spend $600 on a tire that will sit and rot.

Type in search bar  type tire you are interested in     Brand XXX   truck tires or commercial truck tires or medium duty tires and it should take you to a site where you can find all the info you need on tires, load range, rated speed, rim size needed, RPM's inflation pressures etc....   HTH  Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 05:13:47 AM »

RJ,

Thanks, good point. I will reconsider, after we weigh...

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 05:44:55 AM »

I didn't see any steering improvements after lowering the PSI in the tires.  I'll put more air in before my first trip of the year.

I'm going to need to check into the proper adjustments for the torsilastics, but everyone says I have lots of adjustment left.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 06:35:31 AM »

Hey guys,

On the subject of tires, here in Indianapolis FEDEX has  ( I guess from what I see) are disposing there older trailers at a

recycling center.  There is unbelievable amount of tires taken from these trailers.  THERE NOT RECAPS, and for sale.

The recycle center is OMNISORCE on Holt rd.  Might be worth checking out!

Steve 5B....

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »

JR;
 I forgot to mention on the phone the other night about the best advantage of the 3:15's. After my 17 years experience of driving ,I retired with (2) very important lessons on safety.They are: keep a good folowing distance;and these coachs will slide! The three axle coachs are likely to slide/or skid on the front axle,and the two axle,on the rear. Using the 3:15's on the front will give you a couple of extra inches of grip(which could be a life saver)I'm not talking about Icy,or snow covered roads,but just plain wet ones.
Thanks ;Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 09:37:25 PM »

You guys realize that you can buy from truck tire dealers used guaranteed tires for the drive and tag for around $150 @  You will never wear the new tires out but age will so why pay all that money for new?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: