Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 04:16:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydro Flame update  (Read 4322 times)
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 07:32:04 AM »

I pulled one out of a scrapped trailer, and it told me right away how important good ventilation around your genset is!  I made a deliberate test, not an accident.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Airbag

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »

I just got off the phone with Atwood and the man in parts was very helpful. He did not laugh when I told him I had a DC82 furnace. He said they did not make the firebox anymore but he had one left in stock in Saltlake City. So I will hold my breath for three days while I await it's arrival.

Now what I'd like to know is why didn't any of the many RV service centers I called take the time to procure this part from Atwood themselves and make a profit? Instead they left me with the feeling this thing did not exist. In my business I will bend over backwards for my customers and try to make a sale for it pays big dividends. Customers remember things like that and sometimes will give me their airplane for an annual inspection or other major work.

Glenn That's nice work. Is that a MC-7 or 9? Oh I see it's a 7. I see you will be in AZ on the 22th. Not to far from my home maybe I can make it up there, Is it open to the public?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:47:33 AM by Airbag » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 07:59:41 AM »

Air,

For the record I replaced my heat exchanger/air box in 92.  Still going strong and I have installed a co sensor/alarm. 

Glad to hear you found one.  Don't be too upset if you need a welder to modify it to get it to fit. Mine was way off.

I think mine rusted out originally because rain will get into the hot exhaust pipe and drain in to the box.  Think blowing rain.  Maybe a hood or something that doesn't obstruct the air flow but deflects the rain.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Airbag

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 08:03:59 AM »

Air,

For the record I replaced my heat exchanger/air box in 92.  Still going strong and I have installed a co sensor/alarm. 

Glad to hear you found one.  Don't be too upset if you need a welder to modify it to get it to fit. Mine was way off.

I think mine rusted out originally because rain will get into the hot exhaust pipe and drain in to the box.  Think blowing rain.  Maybe a hood or something that doesn't obstruct the air flow but deflects the rain.

John

John great minds think alike Grin My exhaust pipe has a slight incline incouraging water to flow into firebox. I was planing on addressing that problem with some kind of hood.

I will give a heads up to my welder (me)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:07:25 AM by Airbag » Logged
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 08:31:18 AM »

Air, think about sending the firebox to one of the companys that cerama coat exhaust headers etc.  It would probably greatly extend its life .  Just a thought.  John
Airbag

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »

Air, think about sending the firebox to one of the companys that cerama coat exhaust headers etc.  It would probably greatly extend its life .  Just a thought.  John

John you are right that would be a plus for longevity. The negative would be reduced heat exchange for that tends to hold the heat reducing engine compartment temps and we want to do the opposite and it would make inspection more difficult and welding impossible.

I wish I could afford to buy the dies and fab some out of stainless they would last forever, well almost. I inspect exhaust heaters on aircraft that are stainless and they suffer cracks and burn through. A real bummer in flight, I was at 10,000 feet or so over Gila Bend on my way home from San Jose one cold night in my Cessna 170 and I fell asleep for a minute or two and woke up fortunately I then immediately opened the side window and turned the heat off. When I inspected the heat muffs later I found a fairly large crack. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:32:59 PM by Airbag » Logged
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 02:00:48 PM »

Air, I used to keep one of the cardboard dots on the instrument panel, never had a clue if they really worked or not.  In another life I had aircraft but had to quit flying due to developing a inner ear disease  which there is no cure for.  Never had a 170 but had 182's and the worst of all a 190 that was a former airforce float plane that had an continental instead of the jacobs.  Hope We get to meet and BS someday.  You have a valid point about the heat insulating properties of the coatings.  John
Airbag

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »

Air, I used to keep one of the cardboard dots on the instrument panel, never had a clue if they really worked or not.  In another life I had aircraft but had to quit flying due to developing a inner ear disease  which there is no cure for.  Never had a 170 but had 182's and the worst of all a 190 that was a former airforce float plane that had an continental instead of the jacobs.  Hope We get to meet and BS someday.  You have a valid point about the heat insulating properties of the coatings.  John

A 190 I am jealous!! Was that the W670 Continental 220 HP? I had a Stinson L-5 that was converted with one we called it the Toad it was so ugly. I no longer have any flyable airplanes due to some heart stents. I could still fly light sport. but hey owning a bus who has money to waste on silly things like airplanes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:36:50 PM by Airbag » Logged
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 05:34:53 PM »

Air, don't be jealous, I used to buy rag bags at airports all over the country and get them airworthy and sell them to feed My family.  As an airforce enlisted aircrew member I needed part time money and flying eliminated normal part jobs.  One of the only planes I ever really had seller remorse over was the 190.  I never missed the heater in the overhead that once dripped burning gas.  By the way the animal had the crosswind gear if You are familar that.  Sorry to hijack Your thread but I like machinery and the ultimate toy is an airplane, I used to watch the crop dusters My dad hired and never dreamed that I would ever get to fly let alone have My own.  Thank the good lord for the USAF.  Flying is to expensive now even if I didn't have the problem with vertigo.  So the bus it is,actually more expensive than flying and the next best thing including the folks that own and love them. Regards, John
Airbag

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »

No sweat on the thread unless Nick doesn't like us burning the band width. I have changed a few of those Goodyear crosswind gear over to Cleavland's. I did one set for a gal on her 195 and I test flew them and thought they were great but she put the thing up on it's nose immediately. Like you I have been around airplanes all my life, Dad retired from TWA starting on Connies and finally retiring on the L-1011. He used me for a wheel chock till I could hold a wrench. My Grandfather soloed in a Standard behind an OX-5. He and Dad have passed away and I sure miss them. We only get so many spins on this ball of dirt and vuuuut it's over.

I got the parts from the heater cleaned up and painted with high temp exhaust paint. I will put a new blower motor and maybe a new DSI board with a new igniter and flame sensor.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:27:23 PM by Airbag » Logged
Old4103

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »

I just ran into these, if your interested, maybe they have other parts...

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=2155&cat=86&page=1

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=2157&cat=86&page=1
Airbag

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 12:38:27 AM »

Thanks
I believe I have already talked with them.

This guy has the most parts I have seen and is very helpful.

http://www.marksrv.com/hydroflameparts.htm
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: