Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 09:09:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big changes to the Big Western trip route.  (Read 3572 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 10:28:45 PM »

Laryn -

Just keep thinking "Cliff's Notes". . . "Cliff's Notes". . .  "Cliff's Notes".   Grin

Otherwise, you're going to burn out not only yourself, but, more importantly, your family.

More to come via pm. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 05:54:08 AM »

I have been up 1 all the way from southern CA to Oregon. It is a beautiful ride. Never did it in a bus though.  Wink

Up into Oregon it's a different matter. Lots of sightseeing along the beautiful Oregon Coast. You could spend an entire summer there and not see it all. Course I'm kinda partial because I grew up there. The sand dunes in Florence  and Dunes City are something to behold. Take a buggy ride and have fun. Fishing out of Depoe Bay is the best!

In fact here is a map. It even shows Valsetz where I grew up as a kid!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Depoe+Bay&state=OR

I could keep talking, but I think you get the idea. Besides you may want to move there after seeing it! Roll Eyes

HTH,

Paul

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:56:40 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 06:39:26 AM »

Gus, try the road to Hana on Maui.......two lanes down to one lane bridges, whoever gets there first has right of way. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »

Ed -

Hey, I survived the road to Hana!  Great drive!!   Cheesy

Paul -

The first time I ever drove Hiway 1 between Monterey & San Luis Obispo was SB, and I was behind the wheel of a GMC 4905 - a coach with the longest wheelbase of any 40-footer (and some 45's, for that matter) ever built.  Four-speed stick with an air throttle, loaded with 44 passengers and two full baggage bays.  Four years of experience in skoolies, only six months of experience in charter coaches.  Had never been on the road before, but, shifting & steering, steering & shifting, I had a job to do, and I did it.  Simple as that.  Slept good that night, too.

I've since driven Hiway 1 between Monetrey and San Luis Obispo hundreds of times in GM 4905s and MCIs. . . it's not that big of a deal in a bus.  Granted, it's a little twisty in spots, but tour coaches run both directions all summer long on this stretch of roadway, and it's been years since I've heard of ANY vehicle ending up on the rocks below.  Don't scare Laryn away from one of the most scenic drives in CA just because you're afraid to drive it in your own coach.

My recommendation to ANY busnut who wants to take this drive, and questions their skill level, is to drive it NB.  A little harder to use some of the pull-outs for photo ops, but NB keeps you against the mountain, so you're not spooked by the drops.  And, if things get tight with traffic, simply STOP for a minute or so to let it clear, rather than kissing the mountain to get out of their way.  Now how hard is that, eh?

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »

RJ,

First let me clarify. I have not driven that road in a bus, and when I did in a car it was 6 years ago. I really don't want to scare anyone in seeing that beautiful part of PCH, so accept my apology.

Experience speaks unlimited words, Thanks for sharing yours.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »

Paul -

Sorry if I came across a little harsh, I tend to get that way sometimes, even when it's unintended.

From this, tho, I'm posting a new thread folk might be interested in. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »

Ed,

I used to live in Hawaii and remember that road well. I usually flew into Hana though because it was much easier and a lot more scenic by small plane. I also flew gliders  for the first time on the north shore of Oahu, great place for that.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »

We lived on Maui for almost 11 years. I had a boss that lived in Hana and had been driving back and forth every day for over 30 years.  I don't think i could do that!!! Shocked

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »

Why not back track out of Yosemite and follow 395 on through Carson City, past Tahoe, hit Hwy 80 and drop down to Sacramento from there?  There are some almost free state parks along hwy 89 and very close to the 80 freeway at Stampede Reservoir.That is a really pretty section of 395 as apposed to a really ugly stretch of I-5.

We have done the trip from the coast to Grants Pass twice.  It wasn't hard at all.  It's slow, but well worth the drive for the view.  There's lots of little towns to stop at along the way.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 07:44:50 PM »

I study every idea that is posted and I have about four different routes of possibilities. I am starting to lean towards a route that is more southern with the understanding that I just cannot do it all on this trip  (RJLong is a voice of reason for sure). On the bright side that would mean somewhere in the future a northern trip (If I can recover financially from this one. Normally I pay and play, but because my children would be grown adults by the time I could save up enough I am going to go on a payment plan). Much of our route depends on the wife and children, and how much time they want to spend at some of our stops. I will just have to be flexible and willing to add or subtract extra destinations as we go. I have learned so much about the west coast just by studying everyone's recommendations. If you know about a great place or a beautiful road, regardless if it is on my posted route, let me know about it.

Has anyone had any experience on this road? It looks beautiful. Is it busable?

Mirror Lake Scenic Byway, Utah Highway U-150

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: