Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:29:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it cheaper to buy a bus already converted?  (Read 3348 times)
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 05:07:12 AM »

grantgoold's post is actually what prompted me to ask this question in the first place.  Because on my first conversion, I spent so much time building and working that I did very little travelling in it.  Which was a shame, because she was a great bus. 

My son enjoyed working on it with me and we did take some small trips, but I think I want one that is converted and just needs a little fixin' up.  So, I should be in the market in the next few months and hopefully it won't take me too long to find what I want.  Of course I could just buy a stick and staple, but that would almost be sacreligious! (no offense Gary)! 

If I wanted something just use while the bus was getting done, I'd buy a S&S.  They are alot easier to sell once your bus is done.  Besides, driving around in one of those will be all the motivation you need to get cracking on the bus. Smiley 
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 08:09:23 AM »

Yeah, I could do the S&S thing, but I'm afraid my wife would like it too much and not let me get my bus.  Plus, if I came to a bus rally, it would be a lot like wearing speedos at a nudist colony!

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 10:53:10 AM »

Yeah, I could do the S&S thing, but I'm afraid my wife would like it too much and not let me get my bus.  Plus, if I came to a bus rally, it would be a lot like wearing speedos at a nudist colony!

I don't think you'd be shunned by the bus crowd.  If driving a S&S RV for a couple years is what it takes to get the bus done, then it's allowed.  Really, it's in the rule book. Smiley  Going to bus rallys would also be a good way to show your wife some real RV's, but if you're really worried, just don't buy anything super nice.  That way she'll want to "upgrade".
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 11:19:15 AM »

I tried the sticks and staples route at first, it lasted 5 weeks. It is not even fun to buy batteries for a winnebago. The nicer I got it the more I felt I was wasting by bus money. I am much happier "investing" money in the bus. Yeah, it's an investment, that's the ticket.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 09:42:24 PM »

Thats what I did,  I got it for less than the stuff that went into it,  there is stll plenty to do to it, but i can use while the kids are still around.  I also got a loan, so i didn't shuck oout a bunch of cash and its tax deduction works like a morgatge.  I had looked at S&S units but wouldn't have any that I could afford.  My bus isn't laid out how i want it but it is changable being a bus.

$.02

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 08:19:57 PM »

The best part about a bus conversion is that once you have a good reliable running shell, everything else is just frosting on your cake.
You can buy someone else's conversion which is either a great deal or a not so great deal. This holds true for the S&S motorhomes
although a bus generally will provide a lot more of a safe and secure feeling on the road.

Find something that you can afford that isn't going to break the bank and start there. There are lots of people that will
help you figure things out even if they don't have the time or availability in person to manually help.

The only time I ever owned a real S&S motorhome was long enough to strip it for parts. With one exception of one that
was so unique that I rescued it and sold it on eBay. It was a Custom Coach Land Cruiser ( 1966 vintage ) Looked like a bus
but was built on a ford truck chassis.

My 1983 MC9 cost $7,100 from ABC bus and I selected it from a bunch of 83's and 87's that were all New Jersey Transits.
that is my record for spending on a running and driving bus shell. My first fulltime living  rig was a DART RTS-04 40 foot from Delaware transit that hauled passengers in Atlanta during the Olympics.

My others include:  1964 TGH3102, 1950 PD3701, 1955 PD4501 Scenicruiser, 2- 1982 FLX Metro 870's, 1983 FLX Metro 35 foot that I used for 4 years as a mobile tool box,tow truck and hauler, 1981 RTS 102" Ex NYC Metro- now scrapped.
This is really a sickness you know?Huh
 Cool Cool

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: