Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 07:05:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP NEEDED BADLY!  (Read 6384 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »

I've set it once, and I'll say it again.  This is the most amazing group of people I have ever been associated with.

Good Luck Cody and Libby,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 05:14:18 PM »

You guys are awesome! It sure is good to be associated with all of you men and women!

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 08:25:59 AM »

Update:

I just checked the tracking and it should arrive Monday

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tracking Number:      1Z 4Y5 V15 03 4028 772 1      

In Transit - On Time    
Scheduled Delivery:    02/16/2009    
Shipped To:    BARAGA, MI, US    
Shipped/Billed On:    02/10/2009    
Service:    GROUND    
Weight:    50.00 Lbs

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wish I could have justified sending it faster, but at that weight, the costs got out of hand.

Cody, I hope you can find a way to get Libby some relief while you are waiting for the concentrator.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
cody

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »

I'm doing everything I can on my end, I'm thankfull for the concentrator and the shipping, all the prayers and kind thoughts from the people here are making the differnce for her, she has a long uphill climb ahead of her but hopefully she'll find the strength to do it, I'm going into town in a bit to try to find the support things that will be needed for her care, my daughter says we'll need a oxygen monitor so we can determine her saturation levels and of course the tubing and all the little things that go with the other stuff.  I'm not all sure what is needed so I'm going to meet with a respiratoy therapist and hopefully she'll give me some guidance, I've got a bunch of stuff to do here to make this place and the bus handicapper friendly but the doctor was right, she is a differnt person with different needs, I'm so thankful that the most critical need is on it's way.
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »

Cody, if you have the time, I would appreciate a list of the items your RT says you will need to purchase in order for Libby to get the oxygen she needs. I have access to items like cannulas, face masks, non-rebreathers......

Thanks

Grant
Sacramento

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »

Cody,
Ditto on the equip..Let us know what you need re: hose, mask ect.. We've got a bunch of stuff around the firehouse we dont use..

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
cody

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 07:42:52 PM »

Grant what we don't have yet is a the oxygen monitor, the one that clips onto her finger and tells her saturation level so we can set the flow properly, the hospital provided a concentrator to get her thru the weekend and I had to kinda guess on the level, I called a RT friend and she said to set it at 2LPM for now, thats a basic rate and will help, I really don't know what all is left to get, the one we rented came with hoses and a cannula and I can't see them wanting those back next week but I don't know.  I was looking at the intake ports on the sides and was thinking that on days that she is hard to get started a whiff of starting fluid would get her fired up, or if she fell into depression then maybe a little shot of laughing gas, or even if I needed a mood lifter just a quick shot of helium so I could hear her talk.  The possibilities for me to get into trouble is endless. lol  I was going to check on the monitors but forgot today, getting old here.
chargePlus

1951 GMC PD4103-125

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »

I've been swamped all around and just got caught up on the other Libby thread and this one. What a great bunch of folks. Just amazing.

Cody, you and Libby are still in the thoughts and prayers of Natasha and I. I can't help the way others here can, and did, but I can surely offer some cash to help you should the need arise.

If you'd care to make your home address available we can send a card. Send it to me in a PM instead of public if you'd feel more comfortable doing it that way.

Hang in there, we're all pulling for the both of you.

- John

Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »

I'm doing everything I can on my end, I'm thankfull for the concentrator and the shipping, all the prayers and kind thoughts from the people here are making the differnce for her, she has a long uphill climb ahead of her but hopefully she'll find the strength to do it, I'm going into town in a bit to try to find the support things that will be needed for her care, my daughter says we'll need a oxygen monitor so we can determine her saturation levels and of course the tubing and all the little things that go with the other stuff.  I'm not all sure what is needed so I'm going to meet with a respiratoy therapist and hopefully she'll give me some guidance, I've got a bunch of stuff to do here to make this place and the bus handicapper friendly but the doctor was right, she is a differnt person with different needs, I'm so thankful that the most critical need is on it's way.

Cody, I don't mean to throw cold water onto what's going on, but you don't need an O2 sats monitor for a concentrator.   What you should be doing is setting the unit for what your doctor is prescribing.  Probably one or two LPM.   Using a sat monitor is not the problem.  But, unless you have 'standing orders' to adjust the flow rate, you may be treading on treacherous water.  You won't, your daughter may be.   
It's doubtful that a concentrator will deliver much more than 1 LPM.  Your potential for harm is limited.
Your daughter will want to avoid being "technically" involved with establishing what flow should be used in order to maintain a specific saturation.   
I have no idea of Libby's medical history, but running up oxygen sats on a patient that has resp history may by deadly.   They'll relax and stop breathing. 
I would strongly recommend using your prescribing physician's 'script for setting O2 delivery. 
Unless your daughter is licensed to prescribe, she'll want to avoid making overt decisions that could be traced back to her.   A nurse Practitioner or an MD can make this call.  And, if you have orders to monitor and adjust the O2 delivery on a sliding scale you can do that.  But if ya'll don't have such a 'script'...get one, or don't adjust the 02 delivery beyond what is prescribed.
You can keep the 02 extension and cannula.  Those are disposables.   You can probably keep the hospital's concentrator too...tell'em to add it to your tab!   
If you're using cannulas, any more than 2LPM (air or O2) will severely dry out Libbys nose.  2 LPM is a distraction to some folk.  Try it and you'll see. 
I apologize in advance for interfering in Libby's care, but please check with Libby's resper doc before altering his script.   
The possibilities of you getting into trouble with a concentrator is not too great...any licensed or certified medical workers clearly could be called if something goes wrong.     
Glad you're getting what you need for Libby.  The medical profession can be downright unmerciful at times.  Busnuts will save the day!   Smiley
Regards, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 10:12:48 PM »

I agree with JR. I would not spend the money or time to have a constant 02 sat monitor.  Your RT friend will be your best resource for information regarding what she needs without a prescription or evaluation. As far as the cannula's, let me know how to get a bunch to you and I will send them after I return to Sacramento. A trick of the trade to keep Libby's nasal passages from the drying affects of the 02 is to put a little dab of Vicks vapor rub or even Blistique lip balm (sp) in each nostril prior to attaching the 02.

Let me know how I can help. Sounds like a few of us in the Medical profession can help reduce some of the ongoing costs.

Regards,

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
cody

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 05:32:15 AM »

My daughter is a CNA/RNA/RT so she is well versed in the opreration, I'm the dummy lol, her concern isn't to change the doctors orders but to monitor libby's saturation levels so she can report them to the doctor, right now the doctor has ordered a home nurse to be here 3 times a week and it's costing 150 a visit plus the concentrator the nurse brought to tide us over till monday is another 340, we can handle this for a short time but because this is going to be a long term thing we looking at ways we can trim the cost, she is doing exactly what my daughter used to do before she went back to school to get her RN, the difference is the hospital provides the equipment for the home nurse and she rents it to us.  The home nursing company that the hospital sent uses the "point of service" or insurance billing system, yesterday I paid for the first visit.  She brought over a concentrator last night, we can use this until the one sonny is letting us use gets here, the nurse set it for 2LPM and within minutes the color started to return to libby if I would have known it was this easy, I would have taken her down to the Marathon Station and filled her up lol, last night was the first time she actually got any sleep and so did I, I've been sleeping in a chair by the bed so I could tell if she stopped breathing or not.  It gets hard to watch libby laying on the couch gasping for air, last night she could actually breath a little.  She sure appreciates the cards, she has them all lined up around her on the coffee table and she watches for the mail, when the air person was here yesterday she was picking up a card and telling her, "this one came from a friend in Montana, look, this one is from a friend in Arizona", she reads them over and over. lol  If anyone wants to send her a card, her address is Alice Clishe (libby),,,,, 206 Maple Street,,,,, Baraga, Michigan,,,49908.  We still got a long hill for her to climb but with such good friends she stands a chance. It looks like possibly her problems were caused by the massive dose of Verapamil the doctor gave her, a friend of her sisters is a phamacist and he said that the level given would have gaurenteed renal shutdown and probably repiratory failure at the least, I asked her doctor why he would do that and he said he didn't, that he would never prescribe a dosage like that but we have the script and he did, it's sad what damage a typo can do, it's also sad that it was filled by a pharmacy tech and wasn't checked by somebody that would have known, it's my fault tho cause I saw the increase on the paper but I figured the doctor knew best, they change things around all the time, things happen I guess.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 06:03:38 AM »

Cody, I am so glad to hear that you have gotten the temporary oxygen concentrator and she is responding so quickly to it.  You are both still in our prayers daily.

I have been impressed by your lack of interest in pursuing the doctors on this.  I don't like the modern trend of suing doctors over every little thing.  However this wasn't a little thing.  And I do believe in their financial responsibility for their mistakes.  They don't hesitate to use legal means to hold patients financially responsible for their bills.

The doctor's error, albeit just a typo, nearly cost Libby her life and she still has a long hard road ahead and in the doctor's own words, she won't be the same again.  And the doctor's error has left you with a quarter million dollar hospital bill that is still growing.

You have the evidence in hand and an expert witness.  If it were me, I would approach the doctor personally and say:

"You accidentally prescribed a severely toxic dose of Verapamil that nearly killed my wife and has left us in debt for the rest of our lives.  I have the prescription and a Pharmacist's statement as to the effect it would have.  I understand we are all human and make mistakes so all I really want is for her existing and on going medical expenses resulting from your mistake to be covered.  We can do this with or without legal fees and court costs.  Your choice."

He may choose to continue denial or disagreement.  And he may be required by his insurance to fight it.  But you will have given him the chance to do the right thing at the lowest possible expense and minimal publicity.  If it goes to court, your lawyer will advise additional "pain and suffering" and "change of lifestyle" damages.  And the court could impose punitive damages.
cody

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 07:00:12 AM »

Mike, my first concern is her getting better, the financial end will work out somehow.  I did meet with the hospital administrator yesterday, he's an old friend and I believe some of the things we discussed were the first time he had heard them, I've known him since high school and he is an honest person, I did bring up the financial end and all the ongoing things that we're going to have to deal with.  He is aware of the errant doctors actions and told me that the doctor had his hospital privileges revolked a couple of years ago and that the guy doesn't have standing at the hospital, he indicated that the guy cost the hospital a great deal of money once before and apparently has done so again, he didn't offer any additional information and I didn't ask for it.  In a small town approaching things like this has to be done very carefully or the medical community circles the wagons and a person is completely left out but I've also found that if they are allowed the option they will often do the right thing anyway.  Legal action isn't my first choice but is always an option to be held in reserve, I'm kinda more inclined to sit down at a table and hash it out, when I called john for the appointment I told him I wanted to sit down with him over a cup of coffee and discuss his ancestors shortcomings and he told me great cause he knows my parents too lol.  We'll see what all happens, I'm just glad that libby is doing better, she is rereading her cards again this morning, she sure enjoys them, course, I'm kind of boring, it's all new and interesting for her lol.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »

Cody,
   So glad to hear Libby is doing better. it is amazing how much difference a little oxygen can make. However, as JR mentioned, with oxygen the old rule " more is better" is definately not always the case. 
   Over the years, I have been involved in several different "communities" such as Water Skiing, Scuba Diving, Rodeo, MotoCross Racing, etc. I have never seen such an outpouring of support for fellow community members as I have from our BUsnut Family.  Jack
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:18:34 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »

Hi Cody and Libby,
My wife and I have been closely following Libby's ordeal and you both have been on our minds throughout. However, your post this morning really got my attention. I was prescribed Verapamil yesterday for high blood pressure and had'nt picked it up yet this morning before I read your post. Since I have cronic kidney disease and am one step from dialysis, I asked the pharmacist if Verapamil was appropriate for me. He printed out some information and handed it to me with the coment that I should talk to my doctor about it again. After reading the first line of the information: "Although most cases of acute renal failure following verapamil involve overdose of supratherapeutic quantities, at least 10 cases have been reported involving therapeutic doses." Therefore I decided not to take Verapamil and called the doctor for an appointment to discuss an alternate drug.
Thanks to your timely post, you may have saved me from an unfortunate incident, and possibly prolonged my life. Because of all the past adverse effects I have had from prescription drugs I am extra careful with any new drugs. My kidney disease was caused by another drug that has been keeping me alive for more than 8 years. You win some battles and you lose some others. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your experience.
Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: