Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 11:13:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP NEEDED BADLY!  (Read 6185 times)
cody

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »

Sam, I'm glad your checking into your meds closely, I'm not sure it was the medication yet tho it looks like it.  What happened to libby I should explain in more detail, she had been prescribed verapamil to regulate her blood pressure and had been on it for a couple of years, she told me she had just taken the last of her med so I told her we'd go and get the prescription refilled, that afternoon we took the empty to the walmart pharmacy, the pharmacist looked at the bottle and told me she didn't have any refills left but he could call the doctor and get it authorized, the doctor told him nope, he'd have to see her first so he handed me the phone so I could schedule an appointment, that was on a thursday he said he couldn't see her till tuesday at 10AM, I said ok, now I asked him about a temporary supply to get her thru till then, he said no, so we went home, on sunday her blood pressure spiked and she ended up in the ER, they stabilized her and sent her home, on monday it happened again, this was about 4 weeks ago, on that tuesday she went to her doctors appointment and he prescribed her verapamil again so I took the script to the walmart pharmacy and it was filled and she started taking it, we found out then that he had doubled the dosage, 4 days later she was suffereing from bad lower back pain so her doctor told her she had a urinary infection and prescribed an antibiotic that she was to take for 5 days, it didn't help so he prescribed another one for 5 days, 2 days into it she was admitted with acute renal failure that went into respritory failure the next day then a heart attack 2 days later.  I found out later that by her having to go "cold turkey" for 5 days while she waited for her doctors appointment, then suddenly taking twice the dosage of verapamil almost gaurenteed renal shutdown, a person has to be weaned off it if they are to be removed from the medication and when it is started must be gradually built up.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 03:08:40 PM »

Cody, dinking with the legal system is typically the last thing I'd recommend, but you describe a situation that would probably be easy to recover some (all?) of your costs  Maybe a little PnS for Libby too.   
Knowingly forcing Libby to go cold turkey off Verapamil is contraindicated.  Waiting a week to see someone that needs Verapamil creates risk on the doc.   
You don't indicate whether the doc actually saw Libby when he ordered antibiotics for an assumed (?) UTI.  That's bad form.  Any complaint of pain that could remotely indicate renal involvement while on Verapamil (and high BP, or UTI) should result in immediate doc visit and evaluation...most docs would insist on an evaluation to rule out renal problems. 
Libby's doctor would seem to be seriously exposed.   
Even the pharmo should (could) have intervened and supplied coverage for the Verapamil gap.  As long as the script was written recently.
From what you describe, Libby's care under the Verapamil prescribing doc sucks.
Add to that the fact that the hospital administrator say the docs priviliges were lifted...not good.   
If that doc was seeing Libby, or was in any way responsible for her care while she was hospitalized, the hospital shares responsibility. 
As painful for you as it may be, an hour spent with a good malpractice lawyer may be in order.
Glad to hear Libby's perking up!  Ya'll stay warm up there! 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 06:55:02 PM »

I really don't want to be advising anyone about legal matters and such but I have to somewhat in this case Cody. I for sure wouldn't be posting anything about this on a public forum. You can be well assured if anything resembles any large monetary compensation dollar wise that someone is going to be snooping into anything you do or say, especially on a public forum such as this. Just a word of advise to consider. I'm probably wrong but I wouldn't mind seeing the mods eliminate any posts concerning this that could be twisted about by high priced lawyers. I'm getting paranoid in my advancing years!!  ::)Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
cody

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2009, 06:59:59 PM »

Doesn't matter much, what I posted is documented and posted accurately from the documents.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »

Doesn't matter much, what I posted is documented and posted accurately from the documents.

I agree Cody. As long as you're truthful, no problem. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: