Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 06:54:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What side do I put my hookups on?  (Read 3865 times)
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:34:40 PM »

I searched forever for the answer but with no luck. I just want to make sure I put my hookups on the right side of my rig. When you pull in, the sewer and shore power/water hookups are mostly on the passenger side in the US... right?

Thanks

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »

Wrong they are on the drivers side.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »

On the left side at the rear third of the coach.  This is per the NEC for the electrical connection and I'm quite sure that the NFPA1192 has a similar requirement for the other utilities.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »

Alright then... glad I asked! Drivers side they go! Smiley

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »

Some people pipe the black and grey discharge to both sides of the bus!!  Overkill in my opinion, but the people that do it don't care about my opinion  Cheesy    Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »

I have sewer drains on both sides. Really comes in handy sometimes.   I wish I had a fresh water drain at the lowest part of the fresh water tank.  Would sure save on the pump when I want to clean it out.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »

I whole heartedly endorse the idea of a sewer dump on both sides of the bus.  I have had opportunity to use it on the passenger side several times.  I got this idea from Craig Shepard.  Have you checked out his website at all?  If not, go here:  http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/   Be prepared to spend a few hours checking it out!
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:56:15 PM »

Like Bill Said

Put a drain in the fresh water tank

I have used mine more than once

Especially useful when you need to winterize and don't wanna wait

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »

I put my waste tank drain on both sides.

When I got the bus it was on the right (Pass) side only and was a real pain since most RV parks are on the left side as are most rest stop drains.

However, sometimes it turned out to be the correct side.

Some rest stop dumps are on the right side and some older RV parks and state parks have sewer drains in some really strange places.

Having the option of either side really saves a lot of mess and long hoses sometimes.

One of the smartest things I've done on the bus.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:45:24 PM »

Having a dump on the curb side makes "emergency" roadside dumping much easier too.   You won't have to pull off on the opposing lane.   Wink
Often, real 'bus' dump stations are on the RH side.  That's where OTR holding tanks are located. 
As has already been stated, campgrounds almost always have all utilities at the LH rear of the RV.
Oregon, any time you question where something related to the camping, or RV accessories should be located, look at the nearest factory built camper or RV.   While most factory RVs are cheaply built, they are often quite thoughtful in design.  Lots of good ideas.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »

Generally, you want your connections on the driver's side. But you need to be prepared for non-conforming sites.

I have the ability to dump my tanks to either side, which is a nice benefit.  Not all campgrounds adhere to hook-up placement policies. For tank dumping I'd guess that I use the driver's side 80% of the time and the other side 20%.

Fresh water connections and electrical power are easier to deal with. If you carry an extra length of water hose and power cord, you can "fix" whatever abnormality exists with you campsite.  Much easier to deal with than extending the sewer hose.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »

I both a 3' dump on the drivers side and a Macerator to pump into the neighbors lawn if I choose. I am surprised so few use them. Anyway, make sure you do it correct the first time, even the second time is not bad. I started with Aluminum tanks (mistake) then went to Plywood (big mistake) than stainless (not bad) and now I have custom made 1/2" thick military grade poly tanks - no more poop issues for me! Oh, I also found plumbing lines that can freeze solid and shrink back perfectly when thawed out.

Good luck

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 05:38:02 AM »

We put drains on both sides of our bus. Although we use the left drain most of the time, there have been places where using the right side drain saved a lot of maneuvering and backing around for a left side access.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 08:32:15 PM »

Dumps on both sides.

Convenience of not turning around in some places,fuel island dictates a certain approach...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »

I can see the wisdom and convenience of having hookups on both sides, but the standard is on the driver's side. In every site that I've ever found with hookups on the passenger's side I've been told the same thing---"It was put in by a guy that doesn't own an RV!"
I have sewer drains on both sides. Really comes in handy sometimes.   I wish I had a fresh water drain at the lowest part of the fresh water tank.  Would sure save on the pump when I want to clean it out.

Bill
Bill, can you put a 'T' in before the pump and plumb it outside? The pump has to be drawing from the lowest point in the tank. Just my thought, FWIW
Good luck, Will

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: