Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:46:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What side do I put my hookups on?  (Read 3643 times)
Old4103

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »

The Outside.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 05:49:10 PM »

Oh Poop! I've only got one on the drivers side. Another thing to add to my never ending list! Sheesh!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »

I can't put a drain outlet on the right side of my 5A because the bottom of my tank is sloped to drain to the left.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 09:38:23 AM »

I can't put a drain outlet on the right side of my 5A because the bottom of my tank is sloped to drain to the left.

What you CAN do is run a big pipe across from left to right, put a fitting on each end to take a dump hose.  Make an adapter with a short length of dump hose to hook to the dump valve.   Cap both ends when not in use. 

If you REALLY want to do this right, tilt the right end down an inch or two, and use a pipe big enough that you can store your dump hose inside when you travel.  After dumping on the right side, rinse the pipe out before storing the dump hose.
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »

What you CAN do is run a big pipe across from left to right, put a fitting on each end to take a dump hose.  Make an adapter with a short length of dump hose to hook to the dump valve.   Cap both ends when not in use. 

If you REALLY want to do this right, tilt the right end down an inch or two, and use a pipe big enough that you can store your dump hose inside when you travel.  After dumping on the right side, rinse the pipe out before storing the dump hose.

I need all the ground clearance that I can get and would likely have pipes dragging behind the bus in no time. The contents of said tank need to stay on the inside of the hose, no soap this side of ---- can wash away that fishy smell. - buy a macerator or build a new plywood tank - just kidding!

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
gus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »

Ed,

I didn't change my tank outlet at all.

My tank is on the right side so I installed a T where the original elbow was and then ran straight pipes to each side.

My waste pipes are all 3" PVC.

There is no need to drain a tank completely dry or rinse it out, I never do. I like to leave a few of the little microbes in the tank to munch on the new waste.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 08:33:20 PM »

I don't want to have a drain on the right side. No room to do it and not worth the hassle of trying to move other stuff out of my way.  In 5 years of fulltiming i have never had a problem dumping from the left so why waste my time building something that i would probably never use anyway? Smiley  The PO fulltimed in the bus for at least 8 years and used it for 20 years total and it was fine for him.....keep it simple. Grin

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 03:59:20 AM »

You dont really seem to understand busnut's Ed  Grin      Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 04:50:51 AM »

Will,

My pump is pretty close to the tank.  Will look for a place for a "T".  Also, my drain to the pump is about 2inches from the bottom of the tank.  Would love to have one in the bottom, under the bus.  You know, on the edge something that would be easy to reach.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
cody

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 05:24:57 AM »

I'm kinda curious about the water lines that can freeze solid and then shrink back perfectly.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 06:34:39 AM »

Jim, i understand em perfectly Smiley i have lots of little changes that i have made to my bus and a lot more, (never ending,  Smiley ) to do.  It's just that some, like a second drain, are impractical and unnecessary for me.....so i would rather spend my time and money on projects that others would probably find impractical and unnecessary. Grin Grin

gus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 07:19:39 PM »

Ed,

There was nothing complicated about adding a T to my setup, all depends on your layout. Since mine was on the right side I had to change it to avoid all those messy times running a drain hose under the bus, this is not a fun thing! So, it was easy for me to place drains on both sides since I was doing all that work anyway.

Since my left side drain requires a long run of 3" pipe I used a rubber connector to ease any strain and prevent vibration problems with rigid PVC. I also used rubber connectors from my tank to the T and from the T to the right side drain valve to prevent vibration problems.

I've read a few posts by people who have drains under the bus saying they are the pits. This requires large holes in the bottom of the bus plus, as I remember, they keep getting knocked off. I remember my brother had a small Itasca with a bottom drain and he knocked it off numerous times.

My drains are in the comp with the waste tank and run right to the edge of it. I have plastic U (square corners) shaped troughs under the drains to catch any drips. To clear the edge of the comp floor I also use a clear plastic 45* elbow with a flushing port that I got at Camping World. This thing is great, I can clearly tell when the draining is completed, shut off the drain valve and then flush the elbow with clean water. Very nice. Any mess stays outside the comp.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »

Will,

My pump is pretty close to the tank.  Will look for a place for a "T".  Also, my drain to the pump is about 2inches from the bottom of the tank.  Would love to have one in the bottom, under the bus.  You know, on the edge something that would be easy to reach.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Does that mean there's always 2 inches of water left in your tank, even when the pump doesn't draw any more? I have 2 seperate fresh tanks totaling 90 gals and the drains are located in the plumbing compartment. It's a pain in the b--t, and usually makes a mess in the compartment, but I can drain them. Time permitting, this is on my list of things to modify  Grin It's a good thing I like working on my bus!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: