Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 19, 2017, 08:15:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who have ducted out the factory OTR A/C on a 9....how did you do it?  (Read 1451 times)
ilyafish

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »

How did you channel these throughout the bus?  I am basically trying to figure out if i should do 1 of 2 things

First off, my bus is going to be split up into 3 sections....front lounge/galley (where the first 3 windows are), bunk area/shower/bathroom (where the next 2 1/2 windows are), and rear lounge/bedroom (where the last 1 1/2 windows are)

So the first thing i was thinking of is taking one side, splitting the vent that blows out in half, and running half to the rear lounge, and half to part of the bunk area, and then take the other side and run half of it to the front lounge and the other half to part of the bunk area as well.

My concern with that though, is that the a/c is going to be super strong, and almost be 'too much'.  I pretty much want to be able to turn the a/c on, and let the ductwork kinda take care of regulating the output, and just let the a/c run and not have to turn it on and off every 5 minutes because its too cold, then too hot, etc.

My other option was take the 2 vents that blow out, and split them into thirds on each side, with a duct going to each section of the bus on each side. 

However with this, my concern is that by splitting the vents into 3 sections, the air wont have the power to travel say all the way to the back of the bus, and i will be stuck with a hot bus no matter how long i run my a/c.  I mean the ducts are pretty powerfull....its like a tornado blowing out of each one, but i dont know how it will be ducted out.

Or...i just thought of a 3rd one, should i just not split the vents at all, and just duct it out throughout my bus and use vent covers that open and close to regulate the airflow?

Thanks guys!

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:58:47 PM »

I did your 3rd thought and run the ducts down both sides and put in vents along the way where needed, the back still gets a very strong blast of air that keeps it very cold. It works well for me. Jason

Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:35:59 AM »

While I had the floor removed to clean, rust proof and spray foam, I switched the supply and return ducts.
Now the OTR HVAC blows right down the (under the floor) center isle insulated duct, all the way from the drivers area to the back master suite.
The supply registers are in the floor in each room.
The return registers are under the couch and I retained the outside make up air feature.
 Cool
Ed

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:32:34 AM »

Hi Iyla,

I took the drivers side vent and ducted it to the kitchen, bath, and bedroom using a 4" x 4" metal duct that I constructed.

It runs the floor, notched into my cabnits and walls and vents through toe kicks. The passenger side vent is solely used for

the front and is ducted to blow forward. It keeps me very cool at the drivers seat and works it's way back the kitchen.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »

Thanks guys!  Nick, so by pretty much ducting out only one side to the coach that still was powerfull enough to keep the entire bus cold?

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:29:35 PM »

Thanks guys!  Nick, so by pretty much ducting out only one side to the coach that still was powerfull enough to keep the entire bus cold?

I'm not sure about your OTR Air's Preformance or condition but, mine will freeze us out in 10 min's flat on the hottest of days.
My dash air is enough but, I like it cold and I still feel a good breeze from the forward facing duct on the pass side. My wife often
yells up to me to turn it off cause she's cold.. The heat works just as well.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: