Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 11:23:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re:Water Pump  (Read 778 times)
dogfoot

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2006, 07:45:05 AM »

Hi Gumpy,
Actually, there are no bus wrecking yards around here either, (northeastern
Ontario Canada region).I got the bus bug, or should I say, became a busnut
in 1983, around the time Toronto Transit Commission changed their fleet, at
twenty years old.I bought a 1963 TTC transit fishbowl with a rebuilt v-671
with visions of "doing it over".With my brothers dealer plate and lots of
enthisiasm, I drove it down the 401 hwy. to Kingston where I lived at the time.
With a gazillion miles on it, I needed earmuffs to counteract the squeaks and rattles.
This was disappointment no. 1. I parked it in my yard, it sunk into the earth about
an inch over three weeks, I started it up, tried to move it, no tranny fluid.I exhausted
the supply of tranny fluid at the local garage, and had to drive to town for more.
This was disappointment no.2.  I got it filled back up with fluid, tried to move it,
and it wouldn't come out of the shallow ruts.Had the Detroit right to the pin, with
a Chevy 4x4  bouncing around on the end of a chain, and it finally moved.That was
disappointment no 3. Oh, I forgot, somewhere between 1 & 2, let's call it 1 1/2,
I had the Detroit right to the pin on the 401, I was doing around 48 MPH.That was
a wonderful experience.I think my backhoe will go faster.Anyway, to make a long story
even longer, I saved the grab rails, which are unexcelled for closet rods, being
stainless covered and all, the fluorescent lighting down the centre, which is, of course,
12 volt.And that's another story.Right over the drivers head is a large heat sink,
transistorized affair which supplies the fluorescent lighting.These light up the coach
at night like a Polish church at Christmas.That is another neat salvage item.I still have
the lighting system.Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, I believe I sold the bus
to pay off the transmission fluid bill!!LOL  Actually, I sold it to a fellow who wanted
the Detroit badly for an air compressor, and the rest for "storage in the trees". I
happened back about a year later and spied the water pump.I had to have it, since
I recognized the quality right away.He said "$10.00 and you pull it." This all worked
out well, 'cause I already had my eye on PD4104   #1484. But that's another novel!!
        Dogfoot

NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:03:23 PM »

C'mon...Like Paul Harvey sez...we need to know the "Rest of the Story"!  Are you going to buy the 4106 and get back into the "Fraternity"? Wink

You're not the "Lone Ranger" y'know..we're all gluttons for punishment! Grin

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: