Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:45:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oil pressure question  (Read 1319 times)
Jerry Wilson

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2006, 08:02:14 PM »

I have an 8v71 in a 4107, the engine runs good and strong with no problems.But i do have a question about the oil preasure.When i first start the engine the preasure goes to 20 psi at idle then when reved up it goes to 30 psi max.I put a gage at the altenator oil line to check the accuracy of the gages on the dash and in the engine compartment and they were close the same.The gage has a flicker of about 2 to 3 psi, i would have thought the preasure would stay more steady.I know the book has a working preasure of 50 to70 psi .We have owned the bus about 2 years now, adding about 3000 miles with no problems but i like to head off any potential problems .I use 40 wt. oil .The book says low oil preasure could be caused by a plugged oil cooler or bad cooler relief valve.Has any one had a problem with a plugged cooler or valve.I know it could be bearings,pump or a number of things but i want to look at first things first    Jerry Wilson
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:58:15 AM by Dallas » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:55:28 PM »

When warm, it isn't uncommon to have 10-15psi at idle and 30-40psi at speed.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 11:01:45 PM »

Jerry - the pressure under load should be closer to 50 PSI but at idle it falls real low - 5 to 10 PSI is not uncommon - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 11:08:35 PM »

My 8v71 seems to be a good healthy motor. No blue smoke a startup or running. I get what TomC posted. This worried me at first, but after reading several posts in various archives, I am starting not to worry as much. Any other opinions about these oil pressures?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:26:21 AM »

You really do not have a low oil pressure problem. Quit worrying and enjoy!
Richard

† I have an 8v71 in a 4107, the engine runs good and strong with no problems.But i do have a question about the oil preasure.When i first start the engine the preasure goes to 20 psi at idle then when reved up it goes to 30 psi max.I put a gage at the altenator oil line to check the accuracy of the gages on the dash and in the engine compartment and they were close the same.The gage has a flicker of about 2 to 3 psi, i would have thought the preasure would stay more steady.I know the book has a working preasure of 50 to70 psi .We have owned the bus about 2 years now, adding about 3000 miles with no problems but i like to head off any potential problems .I use 40 wt. oil .The book says low oil preasure could be caused by a plugged oil cooler or bad cooler relief valve.Has any one had a problem with a plugged cooler or valve.I know it could be bearings,pump or a number of things but i want to look at first things first† † Jerry Wilson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Jerry Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 10:16:29 AM »

Thanks everyone , the preasure will go down to20-25 psi when hot but will go back up to 30 psi at full throtle .I think i will still pull the relief valve just to make sure all is ok ,its not hard to get to. jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: