Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 07:04:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a question about mini-maxes...? ANy one have good info on them?  (Read 2757 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »

A recent thread opened my eyes to the possibility of a quick change over to spring brakes for my 4104.  The brake mounts for my 4104 are aluminum ( I think) so I was not looking forward to changing the mounting points so as to fit   30/30s  back there.  If anyone knows about the mini maxes I would be very grateful...
The questions I have:

Are they as strong as the 30s?  I have read a few threads that say they bolt right in, but...DO they have the same throw/strength as the 30s (or the stock cans if their throw/strength is shorter)?

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »

Zub -

Mini-Max brakes have been off the market for over 15 years, IIRC they were pulled after the company that manufactured them got involved in some liability lawsuits and lost.

The mounting brackets for the OEM brake pots are steel, not aluminum, on your 4104.

Hope you can weld, because it's virtually impossible to find a professional welder who will move the brackets - liability issues.

DD3 cans will fit on your '04 as is, with the additional plumbing necessary, albeit lots more expensive than spring brake cans.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »

Zub,

My 4104 came with spring brakes when I bought it in '05 and I was told they were new. They looked new and it appeared that my complete brake system had been replaced.

My understanding is that there are two sizes of spring brakes and only the smaller ones will fit an '04.

I have never looked at them closely so don't know exactly what I have.

I might be able to get a photo in a day or two but right now I can't get under the bus.

They work great.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »

On one of my 04's #172 the brackets are aluminum  on the newer one they are steel.  both have spring brakes.

Just get the right ones and it is not to big of a job to replace.

also get rid of the johnson bar parking brake, and cover up the air hole in the floor.

uncle ned
"huggy bear"

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »

Brake cans are listed as a 12, 16, 24, 30, etc.  The number is the square inches of the rubber diaphragm surface area. This number times brake application pressure (PSI) is the amount of pressure that is applied to the slack adjuster. The larger the number, the more pressure that is applied when braking. This is also used to control relative amount of braking force per axle, largest on drive axle, smaller on front axle and even smaller on tag axle to prevent locking up the tag wheel. 
  A 30/30 DD3 would have more emergency braking pressure than a 24/24 DD3. 2 numbers are used on drive axle brakes, one number is service diaphragm and the other number is emergency/parking brake diaphragm.  I don't remember which number is which (I think the first number is emergency/parking and the second is service brake), but I have seen 24/30 spring brakes.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:16:59 AM »

On one of my 04's #172 the brackets are aluminum  on the newer one they are steel.  both have spring brakes.

Just get the right ones and it is not to big of a job to replace.

also get rid of the johnson bar parking brake, and cover up the air hole in the floor.

uncle ned
"huggy bear"

I guess what I am looking at is what the cans that can be installed without mods are.  I will need to get under there and take some measurements, but I was hoping to hear that there is a strong enough spring brake that will fit.  There are definatly 2 schools on this as I have heard there is not way to install spring brakes without welding on a new support.  On steel that would already be a challenge and I checked the book and  on mine the suspension arm is aluminum.  Is there any chance Uncle Ned knows the # for his spring brake?

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »

There is no problem installing spring brakes on a 4104.  It's the 4106 that starts having a space issue.  There is no reason to go to mini-max or DD3.  Just plain old NAPA 30-30's will work fine.  You just need the added plumbing for the park brake.  Schematics are available at Bendix

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 08:22:19 AM »

Gus and Uncle Ned...could you if you can or will post a photo or two of the spring can set-up for us (or me)?
Like at to the list of bus's brake system.

Thank you so much, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »

There is no problem installing spring brakes on a 4104.  It's the 4106 that starts having a space issue. 

Len -

I'm curious about your comment that the '06 has space issues compared to the '04 for spring brakes.  Especially since the undercarriage construction and dimensions of the two models are virtually identical.  (I know the '04 uses air beams and the '06 rolling lobe bellows, but that, and the different off-set to the rear axle pumpkin, are the only major differences in the rear axle area, TTBOMK.)

Please clarify. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »

Never having been under a 4106, I can't tell you the difference.  I do know for sure that standard spring brakes will fit a 4104 without interference.

Hand Made Gifts

gm4106

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 02:07:06 PM »

I'm curious about this too. Maybe Uncle Ned or Gus could get some pictures for us. If not to much trouble
thanks guys

GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »

Len, if what you say is correct you have made my weekend! I always presumed that as the 4106 was so much like the '04 the rear would be the same, but then I have only recently learnt the '06 doesn't have air beams.  Spring brakes have been my #1 mod (with jakes #2) for my 4104.  I have always worked the brakes and suspension first on my old rides, and left the body work last as I don't care so much about looks as the safety, Guess I'll pick up a 30/30 and see if it fits and then Bob's your Uncle. 

Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 08:55:04 AM »

Check it out here:

http://www.coachinfo.com/Manuals/Coach/GMC/4104.html

PD4104 Spring Brake Conversion Procedure Guide for installing spring brake chambers and update to the E-Model brake foot valve on the PD 4104. Comes with air system diagram and parts information.

Hand Made Gifts

zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 06:28:41 AM »

Hi Len, before I put down my $ on this do you know if I need this?  Seems with a little research I should be able to install spring brakes and the air lines to control.   The air valve has me ? as well.  Need to see what I have, I'm guessing that mine has already been replaced once as it is very responsive and tight as a drum (by which I mean no leaking not tight to operate).

Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »

My guess is that if you are comfortable figuring it out yourself, you don't need the coach info stuff.  Your treadle is probably fine.  You can find the plumbing diagrams for spring brakes all over, most notably the Bendix Air Brake Handbook.  You can download it here:  http://www.bendix.com/EN-US/SERVICE/LIBRARY/Pages/Home.aspx

Hand Made Gifts

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: